1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Put a Gen 1 hitch on my Gen 2

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Taco.Tim, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Aug 4, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Taco.Tim [OP] Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2009
    First Name:
    2010 Buhlue Access Cab 2WD
    My daughter needed to move last weekend (graduates North Georgia College on Friday), so it was time to get a hitch to pull a seven foot trailer borrowed from my father-in-law. I called the dealership, and they wanted $480 installed. Yikes. Ok, next step, was asking about parts ($185 for the receiver and $96 for the wiring harness). Still too rich for my blood. I found other nice receivers on some websites, but those were $230 to $260 each.

Being a cheapskate, I then looked on Craigslist, and did find a receiver for about $120, but would have had to drive nearly 100 miles round trip.

I had a Gen 1 Reese receiver in the garage that came with my '99 Tacoma when I bought it new, so I took a look-see, and decided to give it a try. It definitely is not a bolt on (the Gen 1 receiver is wider than the Gen 2 frame rails), but with some help from a friend, we cut out some adapter plates and welded them to the receiver. I was going to do a total bolt-on adapter, but he preferred welding the receiver to the adapter plates. We then bolted the unit onto the truck, using the existing holes for a receiver. My friend wouldn't charge me anything, but I also help him out whenever I can with his auction site stuff.

Then I found a Tow Ready Draw Tite brand plug in harness (4-flat) on the auction site for $39.95 with shipping. I would say the job went without a hitch..., but the hitch was kind of the point.

Bottom line, for $40 cash outlay, and a couple hours of work, I was able put on a receiver that allowed us to tow a small trailer to help her move. Also, I have been wanting to put a hitch on anyway for a while.

Tim Glover

View of driver's side looking in:

View of driver's side from middle of truck. Still working up courage to drill that extra hole in the frame.

View from the back. Built a spacer plate to adapt four inch apart holes on the reciver to 200mm apart holes on bumper.

2. Aug 4, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Barnone Guest

Looks good to go. You shouldn't need the third bolt since you bolted the receiver hitch to the bumper which by itself is good for 3500lbs.
To Top