1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Q's re 13CWT Trailer

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hard Taco2, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Dec 7, 2010 at 8:09 PM
    Hard Taco2

Hard Taco2 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    06 TDR Off Road
    Bought a used small (1300lbs) travel trailer last year and my Taco TRD OffRoad seemed not to know it had a trailer behind it. That said, it's winter and so no trailering and I'm thinking about next season. Maximum loaded weight of the trailer is about 1700lbs
    First, I have surge brakes on this little trailer, is it overkill, and should i be inserting the lock pin to lock out the brakes, or should I continue using them? Or should I be retro fitting electric brakes to the trailer?
    Second Q: Do I need anything more than the frame hitch that came as standard equipment- I have the full towing package on this truck. Please pardon my ignorance re this truck and trailer combination.

2. Dec 8, 2010 at 5:12 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    Your hitch is completely adequate. As for brakes I believe if you got 'em use 'em. As light as your load is it your surge brakes will be fine and there is no real benefit to changing to electric brakes.

3. Dec 9, 2010 at 2:09 PM
    Hard Taco2

Hard Taco2 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    06 TDR Off Road
    Thank you so much for this perfectly adequate reply. I'm very much a Senior now, at 71, and no longer want to admit ownership of the stupidity and folly of my youth, which included a thousand mile towing experience with a pre 1970 Valiant towing a single axle utility trailer loaded very high with a 1947 MG TC. Amazing, and wonderful that we become more conservative/safety conscious as we age- if we survive to do so. My son would like to be holding, before releasing, that fish of yours; he goes to the Baja salt water fly fishing for fish that dwarf the size and strength of the steelhead and salmon he used to angle for here in BC; thanks once again for your response.

Products Discussed in

To Top