1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about a bronze star...

Discussion in 'Military' started by theTupper, May 4, 2012.

1. theTupper

theTupper [OP] White and Nerdy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Raeford, NC
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCSB Off Road PreRunner
    Hey Everyone,
    I'm not military, but I figured this would be a good place to start. My wife and I have in our possession a bronze star received by her grandfather. It was handed down to us through a series of family deaths and as such, we haven't gotten the story of how he received it. My question then is this: are records kept about recipients of medals and if so, is there a way to research a certain medal and find out what it was awarded for? It would be nice to have the backstory about him if possible. I thank you for your service and your assistance.

Cheers!

2. Brunes

Brunes abides. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
  3. SampleFool

SampleFool Three Percenter

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    Silver
    08 off-road
    Any luck finding some info on it?

4. theTupper

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Raeford, NC
    Vehicle:
    Not yet. Haven't had a lot of time this week to pursue it, but I did initiate contact with the link above...no response yet.

5. Airborne09

Airborne09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fort Richardson, AK
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    4" Rough Country, flat black alluminum wheels, 33" BFG A/T, custom exhaust
    Quick question... Do you know if he was Infantry in WWII???
    Reason I ask is that, all Infantry in WWII that received a CIB (Combat Infantry Badge) we're also supposed to receive a Bronze Star.
    If he wasn't then, he must have done something pretty damn heroic in the war because they didn't hand those things out easily back then.

6. theTupper

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Raeford, NC
    Vehicle:
    I'm not honestly sure...still don't have any good leads, but that gives me a good place to look. thanks! The whole reason we started investigating was that a Green Beret friend of ours pointed out their rarity then, as well.

7. Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    the Lowcountry
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Start here:
    https://awards.navy.mil

8. AZ TXPRO

AZ TXPRO Active Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    There should be a write-up on the award somewhere.

Currently, citations are recorded and approved on a DA 638.

If you have a line on his DD 214 it would most likely be listed there as well.

Finally, a call to Human Resources Command (for whichever branch he was in) with his Social Sec. # might be a start.

Good luck!

9. DevilDogTacoma

DevilDogTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma V6 DCSB
    Flowmaster 40 Muffler, 15% Front Window and Windshield Sun Strip Tint, Antennax 14" Antenna, OME 3" Lift w/AAL, SlimCubby 6000K HID headlights and foglights, Thule tailgate pad for surfboards, 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x9 XD Addicts, LED map, dome and tag lights
    this^

I know you can contact the Department of Defense or Department of Veterans' Affairs and obtain family members' service records for geneology purposes pretty easily.

To Top