1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about line out converter

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by rod11, May 21, 2009.

1. May 21, 2009 at 12:03 PM
    rod11

rod11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    09 Pyrite Mica DC Prerunner TRD Sport
    I'm getting ready to connect an amp to my factory HU and have already bought a Scoshe line out converter from Wal Mart for $17. I just found this at Best Buy for $25 and am wondering if it's better...

[​IMG]

What I have is just the blue converter box. For only $8 more I get this kit with the harness. I don't have much experience with audio installs, so I'm just going to be learning as I go. If the best buy kit makes it any easier at all for me it'll be worth the $8.

Thanks for any advice!

2. May 21, 2009 at 1:51 PM
    4x4Taco

4x4Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4X4
    They are pretty much going to be the same....I am not a fan of line out converters as I have never seen one that dosent introduce alot of signal to noise esp on high power amps.

3. May 21, 2009 at 1:52 PM
    4x4Taco

4x4Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4X4
    Also...if you do go that route...make sure you place it somewhere as to not get engine noise coming through the converter. Put it as far away as you can and insulate the wiring.

4. May 21, 2009 at 10:31 PM
    rod11

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for that info. I don't know much about these things, just know it's my only option if I want to keep my factory HU. If a new HU didn't increase the chance of theft so much I'd get one and enjoy the better sound.

5. May 22, 2009 at 7:15 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I'd go with the LOC versus the harness. It adds flexibility with the adjustable gains (but be careful as they tend to add a lot of noise).

Another, albeit expensive, method is the use of some of AudioControl's electronics or JL's clean sweep. AC makes the Epic, which acts as a LOC and works to counteract the stock HU's equalization. The JL Clean Sweep does the same thing, but has slightly different method of doing this. Both are good products to the best of my knowledge. However, the biggest detractor is that they both cost as much or more than a pretty nice HU.

6. May 22, 2009 at 7:38 AM
    rod11

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I considered one of those devices to clean up the signal, but as you say they're just too expensive.

Oh also, with the Best Buy package you get the LOC box and the harness. The one I got from Wal Mart is just the box. So I'm wondering if getting the harness along with the box would make for easier installation? Or will I have to end up buying a harness anyway? I feel like I'm not making sense, but I guess that's b/c I know so little about them I don't even know how to ask questions :)

7. May 22, 2009 at 6:42 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    No, the harness is not a must have. It makes it a little easier and keeps you from cutting stock wires, but either way, you will be fine.

Products Discussed in

To Top