1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

    You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

    As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about personalized plates??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by sirsaechao, Apr 12, 2012.

  1. Apr 12, 2012 at 6:50 PM

    sirsaechao [OP] Well-Known Member

    May 29, 2009
    First Name:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    To much to list...see sig for more...
    I am fixing to buy a car but am also keeping my truck. The car is used and from a private owner. I want to switch my trucks personalized plates and put it on the car (which has a plates already from the previous owner) but what do I need to do? I think I need to fill out the reassign special plates form from DMV but will they issue me a standard plate for my truck? Do I need to bring the personalized plates in with me? How do I go about getting this done cause I know how painful DMV can be? They car is financed so I won't get the title now but in the mail so eventually I have to switch names and that sort of fun stuff.
  2. Apr 13, 2012 at 9:20 AM

    Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

    Jan 9, 2012
    Rio Rancho, NM
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    DMV can be a pain, but they are the ones to talk to in your local area to get the correct answers and what you need to do as the proceedures may not be the same from state to state etc. For example, some places I have lived the plate goes with the vehicle when you sell it as the plate is assigned to the vehicle. Other places the plate is assigned to the owner and is removed when you sell the vehicle.

    At a guess from what I'm reading from you:

    You have a truck with vanity plates now.

    You are buying another car.

    You want to put the vanity plate on the car.

    My thought is that you do whatever proceedure your local DMV needs to reassign the plate to the car as I would imagine it fairly common for people to want to keep their vanity plate when they change cars.

    Truck plate wise is a guess. Don't know if you can reassign a standard plate to the truck from the car or if you would have to buy new plates. Again, local DMV is going to be able to answer all your questions on this and let you know exactly what you need to bring in, fill out and do to get things set.

Products Discussed in

To Top