1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about warranty

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jed1894, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Jan 12, 2011 at 6:18 AM
    jed1894

jed1894 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4
    Hello, new member here and new owner of 2011 Tacoma 4x4, SR5. I traded a F250 crew cab diesel. So, I'm going through a big change as far as the room is concerned, but loving the better gas mileage and new warranty. I've had every full size truck made in my 40+ years of driving and this one looks like the one I will keep. Although it's the smallest truck I've ever owned, I like the fact that I have one of the best (if not the best) trucks to re-sale and/or trade later on if I want to. Here's my questions:

1. I bought this truck from a dealer who gave me a lifetime warranty (powertrain). I understand most of the requirements of the agreement and the fact that the warranty is from a private company (Great American I think it said). Other than the required service intervals, that's all I have to do get the coverage....less the $100 deductable per occurrence. This same warranty is also offered by several other dealers in my state and I can take it to any ASE mechanic for service work. Do any of you have information on this issue? What's the catch, if any?

2. The only thing I having trouble with so far (only got 250 miles on it) is getting in and out. I am 6' so everything I get in and out my right leg gets hung up on the bottom of the steering wheel. I can twist and turn to make it work, but I was wondering if the seat can be dropped about and inch or so? That would probably solve the problem.

3. The last question right now is the interior coverage. They told me I had some kind of interior (and exterior) coverage for stains, etc. They gave me some cleaning material as well. The way the salesman explained it though was that I could bring it in and stains could be removed by the dealership and fabric replaced if necessary. Anyone have information on this?

Thanks to all....great site.

2. Jan 12, 2011 at 6:20 AM
    Derpy Derek

Derpy Derek Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Brookings, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ARB Bumper, Smittybilt X20, King suspension
    I don't think you can lower your seat anymore.. it's as low as it can go from my understanding.

3. Jan 12, 2011 at 6:28 AM
    joerussell610

joerussell610 When all else fails read the directions

Member:
    First Name:
    Him
    Making myself at home in your house
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC Sport Edition 4x4
    K&N, fog light mod, remote rear halogen fogs mounted under rear bumper, TRD skid plate, Flux Capacitor, Mr. Fusion upgrade soon
    Kinda surprised the warranty is not through JM&A (Fidelity Warranty).
    They are the best extened warranty you can get. So far as your questions the best thing for you to do is call the warranty company and ask them what they do and do not cover. Dont bother getting any help from the sales staff. They are done with you. Now you are in the hands of the service dept. And well my friend as far as the comfort factor in truck goes. HA! I'm 6'10" and have no problems getting in and out of my Taco. It is a DC and that helps ALOT! Enjoy your new ride and welcome to our site....:oldglory:

4. Jan 12, 2011 at 6:32 AM
    jed1894

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4
    That pretty much answers my question (no mod on the seat). To further explain, I can move the seat all the way back and have no problem. I just have to re-adjust everytime I get in and out, which is a pain. I would like to just leave it in the normal driving position. My legs are probably a little long for my body. It's not that big of a deal, just use to my F250 I guess. The truck is new and I can adjust. Thanks for the reply.

jed

5. Jan 12, 2011 at 6:38 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    You have to read ALL the fine print for a third party power-train warranty. It's very important: it will say what's included and excluded and what you have to do to preserve it. Especially things like oil changes and type of oil... maybe even brand since they are frequently co-promotionals to get you to use a certain brand of oil. Be careful and keep receipts because a 'lifetime' warranty is so risky to them that I bet they are banking on being able to void it at the time you need it because you didn't follow some nit picky detail.

Don't you have tilt/level steering wheel? There's no easy way to LOWER the seat: most people (like me) wanted to raise the driver seat (put a spacer under the rear mounting points and lengthen the bolts using grade 5 or better.)

It sounds to me like you got some kind of upholstery protection package like Scotchguard. Again, that's probably third party or something with your dealer so read the fine print or follow whatever your dealer tells you. I think Toyota will do it under New Vehicle warranty for a very limited time only, their obligation is spelled out in your owner's manual Warranty booklet.

Welcome to TW!

6. Jan 12, 2011 at 6:48 AM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    I've got a F250 also and I'm 6'. I had the same problem getting in and out for a little while. You'll adjust.No problem for me now.When I go to get in I point my knee towards the center console. Second nature now.

7. Jan 12, 2011 at 6:52 AM
    bizjettech

bizjettech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sunny Florida
    Are you guys utilizing the tilt/telescopic steering wheel when getting in/out?

8. Jan 12, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    jed1894

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4
    Thought I was the only one! Yeah, I'll adjust I'm sure.

Yes, to the question about tilt wheel. The tilt wheel doesn't tilt very much and the telescopic part I have in all the way in.

Thanks to all.

jed

9. Jan 12, 2011 at 1:24 PM
    scgunslinger

scgunslinger Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    11 taco 4x4 2.7 man trans
    bone stock
    I just bought a 2011 as well after selling my 01 F250 ex cab and yes it took a little time to get use to the new cab. Im 6' 1" and the wheel gets in my way as well. I learned to slide a little and bend a lot but it works. My seat is all the way back and wheel is up and forward as far as it will go but I have a reg cab which may be the smaller of the bunch but it sure drives nice in traffic and off road compaired to the big monster I was driving. As far as the warranty after much study and reading I decided to forget it. After the factory warranty runs out I dont want no warranty. It would be void anyway, Im not buying dealer parts or maint. items. Heck I dont even plan on going back for my 5 free oil changes. Im tired of oil plugs and filters being left loose. Its not worth the trouble and Im sure that 5th oil change would cost me a lot more than if I do myself. Anyhow enjoy the new yota I now have two and love them both.

Products Discussed in

To Top