1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question concerning switching tail lights

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by STLharry, May 2, 2012.

1. May 2, 2012 at 5:52 AM
    STLharry

STLharry [OP] Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    01 5VZ-FE TRD 5spd
    '95-'97 style Grille/Hood/Taillights/Tailgate decals, ARB bull bar, Rock sliders, Custom rear tube bumper, King Coilovers with Icon neoprene spring condoms, OME Rear Suspension: CS046R leafs with N85 shocks, NWOR greasable shackles/spring pins and OME hardware; IPF H4 lenses and bulbs, IPF 968 DCG 100W fog lights, CB radio, Aussie-spec FJ60 inclinometer, ARB CKMA12 compressor; ARB-mounted 4' Hi-Lift, Deckplate mod, Grey Wire mod, Dif Breather Extension, Dif Drop Kit, Sway bar removed, Duratrac tires, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Boat cupholder
    Hello all!
    I searched and came up empty (correct me if you know of a thread though).

I recently destroyed one of my tail lights wheeling. A new 01-04 one on Rockauto is about 50 bucks, but I can find a pair of 95.5-00 ones for about the same price. I also have a hole in my other light that's been patched by electrical tape for about 2 years. So it would make sense to put new ones in.

It appears that the outer dimensions are the same, but before I pull the trigger I wanted to ask the community about it. Does anybody have experience with this or can shed some light on it? Will the older ones fit? I know ebay tail lights say they will fit either one or the other.

I would love to swap them to the older style in order to keep with the theme I have (my 01 is disguised as my old 96 via front end swap and the TOYOTA tailgate decal).

Cheers!

2. May 10, 2012 at 1:47 PM
    pigger

pigger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Applecookie
    Vehicle:
    04 tacoma 4x4
    Detroit True-Track rear limited slip, steering rack bushings, shell, SAF decals, older-than-dirt owner
    The newer ones are jewelled, unlike the older ones. I broke one wheeling too. :D

3. May 10, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab TRD 5MT sunfire red pearl
    About 25 pounds of spray paint and vinyl dye
    per whitetacoboy, they will fit with a slight wire modification

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1s...gen-taillights-signal-lights.html#post5064566

4. May 10, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    STLharry

STLharry [OP] Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    01 5VZ-FE TRD 5spd
    '95-'97 style Grille/Hood/Taillights/Tailgate decals, ARB bull bar, Rock sliders, Custom rear tube bumper, King Coilovers with Icon neoprene spring condoms, OME Rear Suspension: CS046R leafs with N85 shocks, NWOR greasable shackles/spring pins and OME hardware; IPF H4 lenses and bulbs, IPF 968 DCG 100W fog lights, CB radio, Aussie-spec FJ60 inclinometer, ARB CKMA12 compressor; ARB-mounted 4' Hi-Lift, Deckplate mod, Grey Wire mod, Dif Breather Extension, Dif Drop Kit, Sway bar removed, Duratrac tires, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Boat cupholder
  5. May 10, 2012 at 8:00 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab TRD 5MT sunfire red pearl
    About 25 pounds of spray paint and vinyl dye
    You say that now, but I haven't even begun to do my swap.

lol

To Top