1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question for any DirecTV installers/techs

Discussion in 'Technology' started by 8th sin, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Jan 6, 2011 at 7:03 AM
    8th sin

8th sin [OP] Swollen Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Llumar CTX Tint, Grillcraft MX Upper, Pro Comp Rockwell 5034 17x8.5, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT285/70/17, Icon Stage III
    I lease a house in which there is no feasible way for me to run a CAT5 cable from my router in the office through the attic out to where my television is (valuted ceilings, no crawlspace). The only line running down the wall in question is RG6 coax, which also runs to the office and the master bedroom.

I've been reading up on DECA (directv ethernet over coax adapters) adapters and was wondering it if would be possible to put a DECA adapter in both the living room and office and be able to get a connection without disrupting DTV. I have whole-home DVR with another receiver in the bedroom, but they are both H24 (i think?) with DECA built in.

I don't need insane speeds, but currently I'm making this connection with a wireless bridge that for a number of reasons maxes out at about 2Mbps, which is cumbersome.

ps - as I write this out, I'm beginning to think i've answered my question. Since the line already has a DECA on it (built into the DVR's), adding another would put two adpaters on the same end of one line. This would mean I couldn't use the coax for a network connection AND whole-home DVR, but maybe I'm not seeing it properly.

2. Jan 10, 2011 at 5:10 AM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:
    If you have a wireless bridge that is maxing out at 2Mbps you should look into what is going on with your bridge. There really isn't a good reason to get speeds that darn slow. How far are you pushing this bridge? What kind of antennas are you using? What kind of equipment are you using?

I have two wireless bridges going at work and we have no problem nailing up 36 - 40 Mbps speeds across the bridge. I'm thinking something is wrong with your bridge... potholes or something.

3. Jan 10, 2011 at 5:17 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Check out the DBStalk.com site, on the DirecTV forums. There is a forum there on whole-home systems and if you search through it you should be able to find answers or leads.

I beieve that you can do what you want, but note that it is not supported by DTV. You should be able to attach an ethernet hub to the DECA, then attach runners out to the DTV receiver and other E-net devices. Haven't done this myself, but it sounded like others have.

4. Jan 10, 2011 at 6:57 AM
    8th sin

8th sin [OP] Swollen Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Llumar CTX Tint, Grillcraft MX Upper, Pro Comp Rockwell 5034 17x8.5, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT285/70/17, Icon Stage III
    The wireless bridge links at roughly 16Mbps (2MBps). I'm not an IT professional, but I've tried every trick I know and that's as good as it's going to get. Antenna to antenna, there are two walls and a chimney stack in the way, plus the "client" router sits in the faraday cage known as my entertainment center (wife dictates it so). I only have one device attached to the client end of the bridge, a popcorn hour A-110, which has weak hardware (spare the GPU) and is notorious for slow ethernet transfers.

My main reason for wanting to eliminate the bridge is that my main router (Asus RT-N16) is 802.11n, but the firmware I'm using does not currently support dual bands, so creating the bridge with my client router (WRT54G) causes the entire WLAN to fall back to 802.11G. Plus I hate wireless.

5. Jan 10, 2011 at 6:28 PM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:
    It sounds like your environment isn't real wireless friendly - but there is no reason it can't be better. But it sounds like your wanting to get away from wireless.

Products Discussed in

To Top