1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question for those who have upgraded their speakers

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Rottencotton, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Oct 20, 2019 at 3:24 PM
    Rottencotton

Rottencotton [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stinkin Rincon
    Vehicle:
    Superwhite 2019 Tacoma SR 4x4
  2. Oct 20, 2019 at 5:23 PM
    elduder

elduder Well-Known Member

Member:
    Van WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo Blue Tundra TRD Pro
    Yeah, would have been nice. Im currently running the plug in mic thats attached in the headliner in our 4runner. You get used to looking at it.

3. Oct 20, 2019 at 6:41 PM
    Bradg93

Bradg93 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Port Hope, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport DCLB Cement Grey
    How do you like the puddle lights? I’m thinking about ordering some and I am curious, I assume they shut off as soon as you start vehicle or put it in drive?

KY_Rob[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Oct 21, 2019 at 3:11 AM
    KY_Rob

KY_Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    North East Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD-OR 6MT
    OEM: TRD Pro Grille & Garnish, TRD Pro Skid Plate, TRD Pro Rear Tail Lights, Tailgate Remote Lock, Black Chrome Exhaust Tip, Black Emblem Overlays, Bed Mat Vorra65 AC Drain Mod Kit FBC Harness Solutions (aka daveeasa) D-I-R Harness with Aux out Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Taco Garage Dashtop Multi-Mount MESO: Gashole, Total Tails Stg1, V5 Switchback Mirror Turn Signals, HitchPod + S1, Vent Rings AJT Designs: Radio Knobs, Door Handle Covers Black Forest Industries Shift Knob for R8…using an adapter MountainHatch Tailgate Insert KTJO4x4 Drivers Side Grab Handle Cali Raised Catalytic Converter Shields BajaDesigns NextGen Squadron SAE Amber fogs Bilstein 6112 Front & 5160 Rear ICON Add-A-Leaf pack ICON Sway Bar Relocation Blocks ECGS Bushing 17” SEMA Gunmetal Gray Wheels with LT255/75R17 KO2’s Active Off-Road U-Bolt Flip Kit w/Timbren Bump Stops Redline Elite Hood Struts
    Anything from MESO is top notch. They take some patience to install, but look and perform OE if done right!
    My truck has the keyless entry and start, so that’s all I have to reference from, but they come on with the dome light when I approach the truck, when I unlock the truck remotely, and when opening the door after turning the truck off. MESO is working on a switch that will additionally allow anytime use.

Da Boogie Man likes this.
  5. Oct 21, 2019 at 9:31 AM
    Bradg93

Bradg93 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Port Hope, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport DCLB Cement Grey
    Yeah I’ll probably wait to order it with the switch and install it all together

6. Oct 21, 2019 at 1:09 PM
    PhenixFord

PhenixFord Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM SR5 4WD DCSB
    Yes I don't like the way the OE fronts are configured. Because of the OE config, I'm thinking that an aftermarket component (with external crossover) would probably make a better choice for this application. Does this sound like a better alternative?

7. Oct 21, 2019 at 1:30 PM
    CO_Taco125

CO_Taco125 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD OR DCSB
    Blackhawk Tune, Falken Wildpeaks, Falcon Suspension, KMC XD, KC flexpods, KC Pro6 bar, Kicker speakers, Sound Ordnance sub, MTX amp, interior vinyl wrap
    An active line output converter to amp will help with the crappy factory head unit output. Retains all factory controls that way.

8. Oct 21, 2019 at 1:39 PM
    CO_Taco125

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD OR DCSB
    Blackhawk Tune, Falken Wildpeaks, Falcon Suspension, KMC XD, KC flexpods, KC Pro6 bar, Kicker speakers, Sound Ordnance sub, MTX amp, interior vinyl wrap
    Coming from someone who spent around a grand on audio equipment, plus replacing a blown amp and crappy wiring job (learned my lesson there), here's my advice. Go to Crutchfield's website and start reading their informational blog posts. It'll give you some basic knowledge on audio systems and help YOU decide what is best for YOUR needs.

As for Kicker speakers specifically, I went with the KS series in all 4 doors, in addition to tweeters in the sail panels and the Subaru tweeters in the factory spots. Reason for going with them was their reputation and reviews. Also if you buy from Crutchfield, you get all the wiring and mounting adapter for free, plus AMAZING customer support.

I think if you are solely looking to replace factory speakers, Kickers are a good choice due to their high sensitivity which allows for decent sound with minimal power input (i.e. what the factory head unit puts out). If you decide to go for amp, sub, new wiring, etc. it's not too difficult, just takes time and patients to install. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I'm no expert but I know just enough to get into trouble ;)

xerogs1 and elduder like this.
  9. Oct 21, 2019 at 1:40 PM
    elduder

Member:
    Van WA
    Vehicle:
    LOC if you need it, lots of amps take high level/speaker wire input. Adding LOCs is one way to go amp or DSP, but any inline additions can also add noise. Adding an amp is relatively easy either way, still battling that crappy factory tune.

I found an old article on crutchfield that details this better.
    https://www.crutchfield.com/learn/car-stereo-proving-ground.html

CO_Taco125[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Oct 21, 2019 at 1:45 PM
    elduder

Member:
    Van WA
    Vehicle:
    The OE fronts have a passive "crossover". Its really just a single capacitor on the tweeter. Running aftermarket comps still run in parallel. The crossover will likely result in some parasitic power loss. Even if its slight it will still result in a noticeable need to have the volume higher.

11. Oct 21, 2019 at 1:51 PM
    CO_Taco125

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD OR DCSB
    Good article. I've read that one before. No debate that an aftermarket head unit will give the best sound input for your amp / speakers. But, like I said it's a trade off for factory control and function. Even if your amp has speaker level inputs, an active LOC like the Audiocontrol LC2i gives you better filtering of the signal going into you amp. Also makes it easier to add a sub or additional amps due to the RCA outputs, and gives you a remote-on source for those devices. :thumbsup:

elduder[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Oct 21, 2019 at 1:57 PM
    elduder

Member:
    Van WA
    Vehicle:
    Yes it does. I actually have a LOC for sale that also works as an EQ, if anyones interested. :D

CO_Taco125[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Oct 21, 2019 at 2:37 PM
    Mister Grey

Mister Grey The Viking of disapproval looks in your direction

Member:
    Hayward Ca
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCLB Sport 4x4
    The Works.
    Has anyone done the JL subwoofer? I was reading the directions and I think the wiring may be a little out of my wheel house. Just wondering how easy or hard it was to wire up?

14. Oct 21, 2019 at 2:44 PM
    PhenixFord

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM SR5 4WD DCSB
    Does the Subaru tweets have this cap also?

15. Oct 21, 2019 at 3:23 PM
    elduder

Member:
    Van WA
    Vehicle:
    Yes, ideally all tweeters should have some form of capacitor or corssover.

16. Oct 21, 2019 at 3:50 PM
    PhenixFord

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM SR5 4WD DCSB
    OK, I understand the need to filter the frequencies for different speakers. I'm just trying to wrap my head around how the OE system works (fronts) in regards to the resistance values of the speakers. I'll most likely do a speaker up-grade sometime in the future. But "I" will not be using the Kicker or the Subaru components. I suspect that a Component System is the best alternative?

17. Jan 19, 2020 at 7:45 PM
    jbdrummer93

jbdrummer93 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road, Inferno Orange
    Bakflip MX4
    I’ve had a major question/concern regarding going to a new radio on the third gen: I use the maintenance reminders feature on my taco & find it very handy & helpful. Does this radio have maintenance reminders like that or no?

18. Jan 24, 2020 at 12:01 PM
    The Chaplain

The Chaplain Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TRD Pro
    Hi there.

I bought mine with the maestro RR. That carries a lot forward. On the unit itself there is another button that show an engine light and tire pressure. The unit does pass back to you center(steering wheel console), and that information also displays the original information and does not change.
    So I want to say yes to your question, and if you get the maestro RR, it’s a definite yes.

I hope that helps you out a bit...

Rottencotton[OP] likes this.
  19. Jan 24, 2020 at 12:11 PM
    The Chaplain

The Chaplain Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TRD Pro
    I should add...

if your talking about the text message that appeared saying you need maintenance that Message I have not seen.
    I use the app “Toyota owners” which seems to have the same data.
    So in this case I would say no, that message and where to go seems gone. But I wouldn’t doubt I could configure somewhere on the system.

Rottencotton[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top