1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question for tire dudes and Toyota service guys...

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Oscar 319, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Aug 19, 2008 at 9:42 AM
    Oscar 319

Oscar 319 [OP] Senior Citizen

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD 4WD Double Cab
    2007 TRD with 11,500 miles purchased new last may. Tires are BFG Rugged Trail (stock TRD tires).

Low tire sensor comes on, tire is low.

Tire inflated, taken to tire shop to repair leak/puntcure.

The tire tech locates two problems. 1, a small piece of metal, possibly an industrial staple which is causing the leak.
    2- A FUCKING ROPE PLUG! I am no expert, actually a novice. It was explained to me that this is a very shoddy way to plug a flat w/o removing the tire.

Problem- 1. Never had a flat. I bought the truck new with 33 miles on it.
    2. The plug is too close to the punture to repair, per the tech I talked to. So I (per the tire dude) can't repair that tire.
    3. I talked to a Toyota service rep were I bought the truck. He gave me an attitude like this was perfectly normal. :mad: No manager was available at the time. I will be going back tomorrow to talk to a manager and plead my case.

Question? Is this normal. Should I be pissed? All I want is to get the tire (s) replaced, possibly with some "tear offs" that match my tread wear.

I dont want to buy any new ones.....trying to wear them down so I can replace them with taller, wider BFG A/T's.

Those who are "in the know" please enlighten me. Anyone else have a similar experience?

2. Aug 19, 2008 at 10:01 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Stick to your guns like the ones your girl is holding and see if they can fix it you bought a brand new truck with a plug in it thats shady would understand if it was used.

3. Aug 19, 2008 at 10:01 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The tire isn't covered under some sort of road / tire hazard warrantee?

When I bought my Dodge Ram - I had a puncture the first week. They replaced the tire completely under warrantee. I had to pay $10 for the prorated (age) of the tire at the time of the puncture - which was rated on the mileage.

I'd do a little research on your warrantee and see if those tires are covered.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with rope plugs. You can buy the plugs & the proper tools and repair a tire on the road easily yourself. A tire plug is MUCH better than using that aweful green sludge crap that you put inside the tire. They're better than patches for holes near the sidewall. Patches will not work if a hole is anywhere near the sidewall. I've used rope plugs many time before on various vehicles without any leakage and have lasted for years.

We carry rope plugs & small air compressor in our vette. The vette doesn't have a spare tire - and if you get a flat, you're better off trying to fix it there on the spot than having to call AAA or a tow truck.

If you bought a new truck with a used tire and/or a repair on it - that's a different story. You should still search to see if your tires are under warrantee.

4. Aug 19, 2008 at 10:02 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    yep.....sounds like some dealer bullshit to me, but i didnt figure they would just give you a used tire. you can swap out your spare for the shitty tire, or maybe check some shops to see if any of them have a used rugged trail tire with close to the same thread. nowadays.....the way that every tire place i have seen fixing a hole in a tire.....the dismount the tire, put a patch on the inside, and then remount the tire........safer than using standard tire plugs. either way.....im pretty sure the dealer would cost more than anywhere else for a used tire.

5. Aug 19, 2008 at 10:49 AM
    mudduck

mudduck Nobody makes me bleed my own blood.

Member:
    the bluegrass state
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    black painted wheels, tinted windows, sockmonkey decals
    i bought my truck a couple of weeks ago and mine came with paperwork for the tires. definately check your paperwork and get it taken care of.

6. Aug 19, 2008 at 9:37 PM
    Oscar 319

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD 4WD Double Cab
    Here is what I expect when I go into the dealer tomorrow...

Toyota Dealer: "that tire is covered under your tire manufactures (BFG) warranty".

BFG Dealer: "we don't sell tires that way, punctures void the warranty".

Toyota Dealer: "your warranty clearly states that tires are covered by the manufacturer"

Me: "Mother Forker, I don't care who's on first, just fix the problem!" Hopefully I won't get the run around. I hate problems, that's why I bought a Toyota.

7. Aug 19, 2008 at 9:39 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    hope they take care of it for ya man.

8. Aug 21, 2008 at 4:33 PM
    Oscar 319

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD 4WD Double Cab
    Went to the dealer today. As expected, it started out as predicted...

Then, before I blew my lid they refered me to the Service Manager. I was a little concerned when I heard him cracking whips on his employees. He was all business and a little dumbfounded when I explained the problem...then I showed him the tire. His response was a very professional "WTF?". He agreed that they should never plug a tire that way, and it would just be replaced on a new rig. The rope plug is still a mystery. He tried to find "tear offs" for me with no luck....16" are hard to come by anymore...I even tryed to scam some 265/75's :cool:, no dice.

The manager agreed to buy me a new tire, swap out my spare (new full size BFG) and place the good, old tire on as a spare.

Works for me. Problem solved. No charge. I love it when a plan comes together.

9. Aug 21, 2008 at 6:04 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    good to hear!!

Products Discussed in