1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question on 2016 TRD Taco: Adding component speakers with stock HU

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by rtzx9r, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Nov 5, 2017 at 1:50 PM
    rtzx9r

rtzx9r [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bueller
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport
    LS1 swap with nitros.
    Howdy-

I am looking to replace the factory speakers in my 2016 TRD sport. I plan to keep the stock head unit (it's not the premium jbl, but is the 7" version) and not add an amp at this time.

Here are my questions, hoping someone may know:

1. If I put a component system in the front, can I simply plug the 6x9 woofer in the door, run the crossover, and then run new wiring to the dash tweeter location (with new tweeter) from the crossover in the door? I ask as I have read the door is wired in series from the factory tweeter, which will be unplugged.

2. If I do the above, will I get the correct frequencies at the woofer and tweeter? I'd expect the factory dash tweeter to only be getting high freqs and the door speaker to only be getting low freqs so just want to be 100% sure before I pull the trigger.

3. I can fit 6x9 in the front doors without modifications, correct?

Thanks!

2. Nov 6, 2017 at 1:05 AM
    inthebed

inthebed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Prerunner
    There will be almost no power to the new component speakers. You will need an amplifier to correct this. And a line out converter to convert the factory head units signal into something the amplifier can work with.

3. Nov 6, 2017 at 9:40 AM
    rtzx9r

rtzx9r [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bueller
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport
    LS1 swap with nitros.
    Thanks - I am seeing different opinions on this. For example, in my wifes 2010 TSX I added Infinity Reference components with the factory HU / system. They sound better than stock, but obviously not as good as if they were amped up.

Is this a no-go then unless I use an amp?

4. Nov 6, 2017 at 11:19 AM
    inthebed

inthebed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Prerunner
    Another way, without restating everything I said, is by looking at how much a stock head unit puts out in power. It's not very much, and aftermarket head units put out around 18RMS (reccomened power) and 50MAX (how much it can absolutely put out on say a deep bass hit and will go into shut off mode or break) watts.
    However it won't hurt a speaker by powering it with only 1watt of power. In fact it's how its measured a speakers most important rating. The 'Sensitivity rating' every 3db up on the sensitivity rating compared to other speakers means it can be, twice as loud I'm led to believe. So always try and find the highest rated sensitivity audio equipment.
    An amplifier will take speakers to a whole new level of power. Possibly 800 or 1200 watts of power. And you have to be so careful tuning the line out converter and the amplifier to perfection or you'll have poor quality sound. You don't want to have all that audio tuned poorly at all.

rtzx9r[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top