1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question on speaker size?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by krisjw101, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Mar 26, 2010 at 11:38 PM
    krisjw101

krisjw101 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Spokane,WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4
    Autobot in my rear window
    So I am looking to have replace the speaker systen in the front doors. Which I belive consists of tweeters and then the speakers themselves. The question I have is I can only find component systems with 6.5" speakers and the 09's have 6x9's in the front, Ido realize that I could buy both components seperately, will I get better performance with one size or the other.

Opinions please!

2. Mar 27, 2010 at 12:01 AM
    Plinkerton

Plinkerton Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Get a 6.5 and a tweeter component system.

They will sound better than a 6x9.

They make adapters to fit 6.5's in the 6x9 holes.

3. Mar 27, 2010 at 8:38 AM
    Gingrbredman

Gingrbredman Love the Tick!

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab Sport 4WD
    Thats right. The stock speakers are 6 x 9. You can get the speaker adapters to allow a 6.5" speaker where the 6x9 was.

4. Mar 27, 2010 at 2:48 PM
    JoeSchmuck

JoeSchmuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 2x4 O.R., Timberline Green
    Pop & Lock, Access LE Rollup Cover, Alpine PDX-5 Amp, Image Dynamics CS-6/CX-6 & 10" Sub
    Lets be clear here, the holes are not 6x9 on these trucks so you cannot use a 6x9 to 6.5" adapter. The original front speakers are 6x9 molded into a rather large and odd shaped mount. You will need special adapter mounts for the speakers you purchase. You can make your own mounts out of MDF if you like but read to forums about that avenue.

-Joe

5. Mar 27, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    Correct, your going to need an adapter baffle for any replacement speaker you install. Mr Marv on here makes some beautiful baffles. I personally recommend adding the Image Dynamics 6x9 components due to the added cone surface area over a 6.5". Image Dynamics is the only 6x9 component manufacturer that comes to mind although there might be others. There is alot of discussion on here that 6x9's dont sound as good as 6.5's but........I will let you decide. ;)

6. Mar 27, 2010 at 7:33 PM
    PRBulldog36

PRBulldog36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off Road
    Bilsteins 5100's X4 front set at 2.5 and rear AAL,BFG Rugged Trail T/A P265/65R/17, Warrior 375 17X8 Wheels with Gorilla locks,Black Billet Grille top and bottom and replaced Toyo emblem with Dallas Cowboys Star by MetalMiller, Vent Shade window louvers and hood bug shield, Fog light anytime mod,Dome light Mod,Blue interior LED's, Six inch Black Chrome billet antenna,Firestik CB Antenna, Cobra 75 CB, 12Vt/DC outlet back of Center Console, CB external speaker, Sirius Satellite Radio, Westin tube step up bars (Chrome), Tinted windows (legal), Eyebrow on windshield (Limo),Leather arm rest mod,HID H4's(fog), HID plug and play 8000, Tailgate theft prevention mod and Tailgate Pop-n-Lock, Trailer hitch brake light,Garmin GPS Dashboard Mount, Baja Lights on the rear bed rail, In Bed Mt Bike carrier, Tail gate extender, N-Fab light bar with Four Hella 500's, Fold down antenna,WeatherTech digital floor mats, mount,Kenwood head unit, Polk Audio 6X9,Two 12 ' Subs MTX, Kenwood Excellon 5 1/4, Ke
    Are you keeping your stock radio? If you are you may not get the sound you want with after market speakers.

7. Mar 27, 2010 at 9:51 PM
    krisjw101

krisjw101 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Spokane,WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4
    Autobot in my rear window
    I will be replacing the stock head unit with an alpine CDA-105 and in the near future adding an alpine power pack for a small amp. In the distant future I may add a sub and amp for the sub, but that is not in the cards at the moment.

8. Mar 28, 2010 at 7:19 AM
    JoeSchmuck

JoeSchmuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 2x4 O.R., Timberline Green
    Pop & Lock, Access LE Rollup Cover, Alpine PDX-5 Amp, Image Dynamics CS-6/CX-6 & 10" Sub
    If you are going to buy a alpine amp, might I suggest the PDX-5. That is one nice amp. I just installed it in my truck under the drivers seat and even my daughter can't tell it's there. Even with the seat moved all the way forward you have to reach under to grab the thing. The PDX-5 has the sub channel built in and it's the same small package as the 4 channel version. You can get one of these off EBay for almost half the cost of elsewhere. I can PM you where I got mine and I had absolutely no problems. Also, you don't have to use the sub channel at this time, you can use it later. If you would be doing this, I'd place a pair of shortd out RCA plug into the sub channels to elimitate it from any oscilations internally (you would never know it but it would draw more power). And these are easy to "mount" under your seat.

The stock HU had build in EQ curve that boosts the low end (bass) at lower volumne settings. This really sucks and I had to turn down my sub because I don't listed to my system too loud very often. I will end up replacing my HU with something nice, eventually. Money is master so until then...

Last thing, the Image Dynamics 6.5" speakers are decent and have a lot better sound than the stock speakers. You could probably buy another name brand and get the same or better sound as well. The big question is where are you getting them from. You should also visit Mr Marv to see what he can do for you. He's professional about his work and I have yet to see a negative comment about him or his services. The only thing you must do is normally give him a call. He seems to prefer the old style voice communications along with email.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top