1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question on Tacoma Key

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by eyball, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Feb 23, 2008 at 7:19 PM
    eyball

eyball [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    20 Double cab TRD Sport Voodoo Blue
    So I just got a new to me Tacoma and the dealer only had one key for me and no fobs. He is working on at least getting me a fob and the instructions to program it. They were not a Toyota dealer obviously.

So my question is, whats the best way for me to copy this key that I have here?

Thanks!

2. Feb 23, 2008 at 7:23 PM
    TacoSupreme

TacoSupreme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    007 DC Cuatro Por Cuatro
    Your dealer should have given you the key ID number. If not your going to have to take to a Toyota dealer to copy it for you since the keys has a sensor chip.

3. Feb 23, 2008 at 7:34 PM
    eyball

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    I bought it at a VW dealer, it was a trade in. The dealer did not have crap. Not even an owners manual. I could care less about that but I want at least 2 keys that work the truck. I am just looking for the cheapest option. I will hit the Toyota dealer up the street if thats what it takes. Anyone know what I should be paying for a copy? Thanks

4. Feb 23, 2008 at 7:37 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    Not all of the keys are sensor keys. Some of the trucks still used nottmal un-chipped keys depending on options.

Under the radio, near the button for the 4-way flashers, is there a little blinking picture of a key? When the key is not in the ignition of-course.

Blinking key picture = chipped key required from dealer (read as expensive)

No blinking key picture = any corner locksmith can copy.

5. Feb 23, 2008 at 7:47 PM
    eyball

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah it has the blinking key and the door window says anti-theft. Its a pretty well equiped sr5 double cab just no TRD otherwise it has it all.

Looks like Im screwed huh? Have to hit the dealer and get ripped off? :mad:

6. Feb 23, 2008 at 7:58 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    I'm afraid so, unless someone else has another work around for you on that.

Sorry.

I have seen Tacoma factory keyless entry remotes on ebay for like 20 bucks each though and I think that is cheeper than you can even get after market replacements for. If the VW dealer doesn't come through for you on that one. I think somewhere on here there are even the instructions for programing the remotes, though I forget where, but the search function should find it for you.

Saw your mudflap post but didn't feel like typing multiple replies.

Post a Want To Buy for the factory mudflaps in the buy/sell/trade section.

I know there have been some of the guys with bigger lifts that have removed their mudflaps so they may have them sitting around collecting dust.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Feb 26, 2008 at 6:17 PM
    eyball

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    Do you guys know anything about the transponder keys on ebay? Could I buy one of those and get a locksmith to copy it and then program it myself? They are about $20 on ebay. Does anyone know what the dealer charges to make copies? Thanks

8. Mar 6, 2008 at 8:00 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    About $70 for each the key and the fob as I understand it.

9. Mar 6, 2008 at 8:28 PM
    eyball

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    My dealer made me a key last weekend and charged me $35 should have been $43 but the first time he cut it wrong and it was the only one in stock so i had to go back 2 days later. I was going to program it myself but I realized you cant program these keys without the diag equipment the Toyota techs have. So I setup an appointment to have it done tonight and when I went they only had 2 dodge techs and no Toyota techs working at 6pm so they could not do it. I have to go back on Saturday now. They said $45 to program and it does not matter if 1 key or 3. So $80 for my key, should have been about $90 with tax.

I was able to get a keyfob remote on ebay for $20 and program myself though!

10. Mar 8, 2008 at 8:59 PM
    eyball

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    So I finaly have a working extra key for my 05 taco now. I got the key from the dealer for $35. He charged me less becuase the first one they cut did not work and I had to go back another day. I was planning on programing it myself as I thought you could use the break/gas/door/key dance to program like you can a remote key fob. I was wrong! You have to hook a computer up to the truck to program keys. My service manager said you can do it yourself you just need the right cable and software.

Anyway, it was easier (obviously)to just pay the additional $45 to have this one programed in about 1/2 houre while I drank the dealers free premium coffee.

So $80 total said and done for a copy key that works. :mad:
    Had to have at least 1 spare though.

11. Mar 14, 2009 at 11:15 PM
    jtaco

jtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07,trdOR,DC,4x4,v6,saw2.5s,OMEdakars,LRarms
    saw2.5s,AEMshortair,skyjackershocks,LRa-arms,OME dakars,Alpine,JL audio 6x9 3 way in front doors
    Well what device did he say u needed? Some sort of obd reader writer? JUST A COMPUTER AND CABLE DOESNT SOUND LIKELY BUT POSSIBLE. WHERE COULD WE GET THE SOFTWARE I WONDER?

12. Mar 14, 2009 at 11:21 PM
    TRD4x4858

TRD4x4858 Taco Traitor!

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    95 Jeep XJ
    BONE STOCK! lol
    its the toyota scantool, its expensive

13. Mar 14, 2009 at 11:43 PM
    jtaco

jtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07,trdOR,DC,4x4,v6,saw2.5s,OMEdakars,LRarms
    saw2.5s,AEMshortair,skyjackershocks,LRa-arms,OME dakars,Alpine,JL audio 6x9 3 way in front doors
    yea i found some in china for like 700bucks

14. Mar 15, 2009 at 8:52 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    I was at my stealership yesterday and saw the keys for the new camry's - they have the remote built into the end of the key. Wonder how much that would be to get/program.

Products Discussed in

To Top