1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question - Wiring Reverse Independent Reverse Lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by crackils, May 3, 2018.

1. May 3, 2018 at 9:12 PM
    crackils

crackils [OP] Sith Lord Jar Jar

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Brooksville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD DCSB Off-Road - KINGS/5125s AF
    Hello TW, recently I bought a set of flood light LEDs and a switch to activate
    I realized after making this purchase that I am a completely clueless when it comes to wiring :help:. I'm trying to set up these lights so that they do not turn on when I go into reverse, but only when I press the button (not always going to need to use them and don't want to be that guy if there is someone behind me). Also, if anyone has done this already, where would you suggest installing the lights themselves? Trying to keep them as high as possible, but low enough to emit a decent amount of light.

:cheers:

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. May 9, 2018 at 9:59 AM
    BrotherBudro

BrotherBudro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Access Cab, V6 4X4
    Leer 100XR, Dual Battery, Dog Platform, Sleeping Platform, Ham, CB, Light Bar, Rear Lights,
    So you just want to be able to turn the light on/off as needed, this has nothing to do with being in reverse? This is exactly what I did. Go to Amazon, grab a 2 lead wiring harness, cut off the switch that comes on it, add your own, mount the lights, and viola!

The hardest part will be making sure you have the right switch leads on the right wires from the harness and getting the wire into the cab. Both of these can be solved by watching any of the CaliRaised light install videos. There are a few different places you can mount the switch, which are mostly dictated by the size switch you purchased.

As far as mounting the lights themselves, there are two bolts on either side of the license plate up under the bumper, this is where I put mine. I would like to have them a little higher, as I mostly use these for setting up camp, but they work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

crackils[OP] likes this.
  3. May 9, 2018 at 2:15 PM
    crackils

crackils [OP] Sith Lord Jar Jar

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Brooksville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD DCSB Off-Road - KINGS/5125s AF
    Hey! Thank you so very much for the reply! I too need this not only for reversing, but also for setting up camp / having additional light at a moments notice. I have the same size switch too!
    Also, to answer your question, yes, I only want my lights to come on with the switch and not when in reverse. Each pod has two wires coming out from it and this is prob an obvious question, but do I need something to bridge the pod wires with the wire harness?

4. May 10, 2018 at 5:50 AM
    BrotherBudro

BrotherBudro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Access Cab, V6 4X4
    Leer 100XR, Dual Battery, Dog Platform, Sleeping Platform, Ham, CB, Light Bar, Rear Lights,
    As long as the harness has 2 leads, you are good to go. I thought the one I linked had two leads but when I clicked on it just now, it defaulted to the one lead version, but there is still the option before you add it to your cart.

crackils[QUOTED][OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top