1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questions about air bags

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by bigmooze, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Oct 29, 2010 at 1:16 PM
    bigmooze

bigmooze [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    I'm thinking about adding some air bags to my truck.

I tow/haul (depending on availability of a trailer) my 600lb ATV and would like to prevent the sagging. I intend to remove my Toytec AAL because of take-off vibes. The bags are not going to be used for lifting the rear end.

User that the Air Lift bags sit forward of the rear axle, Ride-Rites are directly over top of it. Are the Ride Rites better because if this?

My next question assumes that the air bags are deflated to minimum pressure... How would the bags affect the articulation of the rear suspension when driving off road?

2. Oct 30, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    phidauex

phidauex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle:
    '96 4x4 V6, manual, 201k
    Small lift and a topper!
    I have the Air Lift bags on my 96. I did a lot of research between the Air Lifts and the Ride Rites, and as far as I could tell, no one could come up with any reason why they should be right over the axle, or what problems it would cause if it isn't. In the end, I went with the Air Lifts because they were cheaper, and I couldn't find any compelling reason why the Ride Rites were going to be better.

I've hauled considerably with them, and they've held up great - no issues, and it really helped the ride to level myself out while loaded. I run them around 10-20psi normally, to support the weight of my topper and tools that stay in the back of the truck most of the time.

As to offroad articulation, I don't do much "hardcore wheeling", but I do take them up some pretty gnarly jeep roads to go to friends houses (the things you do when you live on the CO front range), and have certainly pushed the articulation on the back without damage. I wouldn't put them on a vehicle intended for serious wheeling only, but if it is a truck first and a wheeler second, then I don't think you will run into any issues - at minimum pressure the bags will compress considerably, and aren't much taller than the original bumpstops. At full extension it might theoretically be possible to tear a bag, but I haven't seen it, and even if you were unlucky, replacement bags aren't expensive.

-Sam

3. Oct 30, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    Awesome, thanks for the reply.

Anyone else care to comment?

4. Oct 30, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    virgilus11

virgilus11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    I have a 09 and I have experienced with both- air rite and firestone. The air rite are not as strong as the firestone. The Firestone are rated for 5000lbsand unlike the rite air ,, they are sitting on top of the axle. Off road is not the best choice. It will limit your travel. On road - when I don't tow anything, I keep them at 10psi . If you tow and use the bed- as I do - the air bags is the best investment you can do. All you have to do is add a little bit of air- based on what load you cary. I use a bike pump.
    One thing you have to remember is- axle and truck limit.
    Don't think that you can carry 3000 lbs in your bed now

5. Oct 31, 2010 at 3:50 AM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Cool thanks. I don't really offroad like most on here, mainly tracks down to the river on fishing trips or muddy fields. I'm not talking rock crawling or anything like that. I have done some reading on other truck forums and the consensus seems to be that keeping the bags at minimum pressure gives stock articulation, which is good enough for me.

I intend to hook a compressor to a 2 or 3 gallon air tank, giving the option for on board air and the air bag adjustment. I'm looking for a compressor out of a wrecked vehicle right now. If I can't find one I'll buy the firestone one and use that for my setup.

Products Discussed in

To Top