1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questions about an enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Chris Slade, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Aug 28, 2009 at 6:09 AM
    Chris Slade

Chris Slade [OP] Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab 4x4 Auto
    I have an 08 Tacoma double cab 4x4 and an 2010 Tundra 4x4. I want to purchase an enclosed trailer to use for work. 16 or 18 foot. The Tundra came ready to tow, the Tacoma did not. I put a class 5 hitch on the Tacoma and one of those plug and play harness adapters, 4 pin. I use it to occasionally tow a bass boat. My question is regarding the typical wiring on enclosed trailers, will my 4 pin connector be enough (I assume it does lights only). Do these kinds of trailers usually have electric brakes etc. I'm not sure what is required to make my Tacoma tow the trailer. The Tundra will be fine.

Thanks.

2. Aug 28, 2009 at 6:33 AM
    duckcmdr

duckcmdr If it flies it dies!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
    Yeah most of them will have brakes. you need to get a wire set up that has a power for your trailer brakes. you can get them where you buy your other trailer needs. 16-18 foot enclosed trailer for the tacoma is a bit large for the taco. What are you going to put in it?

3. Aug 28, 2009 at 6:35 AM
    duckcmdr

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
  4. Aug 28, 2009 at 9:45 AM
    Chris Slade

Chris Slade [OP] Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab 4x4 Auto
    It's a ventilation company. What I need is a trailer I can put things 10' long in with a little room to spare. The Tundra will be the main tow vehicle, but I don't want to be limited to just the one truck. I don't imagine the load will be too heavy most of the time.
    Of course for anything heavy I'd use the Tundra.

I assume I could get the e brake stuff done at the dealer for big money. I'm sure I can handle it, but I haven't done much wiring past stereo stuff or plug and play harnesses.

5. Aug 28, 2009 at 5:58 PM
    duckcmdr

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    It shouldn't be to hard. some of it may be plug and play.

6. Aug 30, 2009 at 5:15 PM
    A_Ninja_Racer

A_Ninja_Racer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD Debadged
    yeah and I definitely wouldn't try towing an enclosed trailer that large without brakes hooked up. I was goofing around one day driving to a friend's house and I had my empty 6x12 enclosed trailer in tow. By goofing around I mean there was no traffic, I came up to a corner just a little faster than I normally would with a trailer but not faster than if I wasn't towing. Remember trailer was empty and it actually pushed my rear wheels loose on the road causing me to do a bit of a fish tail thing. Freaked me the heck out. It made me realize how bad it could be if I wasn't more cautious with a load in the trailer My next upgrade planned for the truck is to install a break controller

Products Discussed in

To Top