1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questions about Bed rail prep and preventing leaks prior to canopy install

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by bikesinmud, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Oct 22, 2016 at 9:55 PM
    bikesinmud

bikesinmud [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    The header rail on the '16 is obviously a source for leaks if not fixed. I'm about to pull the trigger on getting a local welder to make a new header bar that is an inch longer on each side so I don't have to use a gallon of Marine sealant to get it sealed up. The stock front rail is higher when compared to the sides. How does your canopy fit with the height difference? I assume if the underside of the canopy is flush it would sit better on a flush box. What are your thoughts?

2. Oct 22, 2016 at 10:00 PM
    jwctaco

jwctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW Michigan
    Vehicle:
    23’ T4R
    My Snugtop is molded to drop down at the front to compensate for the height difference.Mine is a 15, but I think the 16,17 are the same.

3. Oct 23, 2016 at 3:11 PM
    bikesinmud

Member:
    Washington
    Hmmmm, so if I go with a snug top I'd have to leave the un evenness stock. I'm no engineer but Toyota could have done a better job than this.

4. Oct 23, 2016 at 3:13 PM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 & 2021 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - 4600's
    Most canopies/caps should be moulded to fit properly. The weatherstripping/bulb on the bottom of the cap should be all you need.

5. Oct 23, 2016 at 3:23 PM
    jwctaco

jwctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW Michigan
    Vehicle:
    23’ T4R
    Most truck brands do this,the plastic bed cap sides sit higher ,I don't like it either. The canopy manufacturer compensate for the height difference,not just Snugtop. Buy a good canopy,have it installed buy a good canopy dealer you should be good to go.

6. Oct 23, 2016 at 6:54 PM
    Go Fish

Go Fish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 4x4 DCLB
    In addition to the gaps at the ends, my installer removed the front rail, sealed underneath it, and reinstalled it.

Any canopy made for the Tacoma will be designed for the factory rail height.

7. Oct 25, 2016 at 9:21 AM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    I bought a used 3rd gen with an ARE glass shell that had been installed by a local camper store. Lots of leaks around the front. I used some 3M 2228 tape applied on the inside and outside corners of the bed and it helped a bit. I then hoisted up the shell for more access, applied more of the 2228 tape and it's pretty waterproof now. The problem in my case was the corners, not the front rail, and the gaps in the upper part of the bed where the front/side and plastic rail caps come together, not the mismatch in height. And my installer only used foam tape under the sides and front of the shell, not a bulb gasket, but I didn't bother replacing that. Best way to find the gaps is in the dark with a light. If I have to do it again I'll use sealant, black Sikaflex urethane, $6 a tube at the HW store should be plenty.

8. Oct 25, 2016 at 6:40 PM
    bikesinmud

Member:
    Washington
    Thanks guys!

Products Discussed in

To Top