1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questions about sealing Leer cap

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by tacotmac, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Mar 6, 2017 at 5:50 PM
    tacotmac

tacotmac [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Athens, GA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    I bought a used Leer 100xr for my 2012 DCLB. Got it painted to match and now its time to get it all sealed up. Sprayed around some of the edges with the car wash wand and theres some leakage.

So, I've got a few questions:

1) did any of you remove the plastic caps from the sides of the bed? Would this help seal it up?

2) the Leer is already lower in the front to accommodate for the front of the bed being lower, but seems to leak in the corners. Is there a way to get this sealed aside from caulking it (not really what I want to do)

3) best tailgate seal?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has already been discussed, I tried to find it and couldnt!20170302_114618.jpg

2. Mar 6, 2017 at 6:04 PM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    Mine has never been completely watertight like other trucks I've owned. The only place mine leaks is at the front. There is a large gap to fill requiring thick sealer tape than on the sides. It is a truck design issue, not the caps problem. I tried several fixes over the years, none worked completely and I've just learned to live with it.

Mine has never caused a problem. Just a small trickle at both front corners. The way the bed is designed the water stays in the small valleys and anything in the bed is above the water on the higher part of the beds ridges.

tacotmac[OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 24, 2017 at 4:47 PM
    Hudson Taco

Hudson Taco Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma 4x4
    None yet
    Try using some duct seal in the corners, both inside and out. Home Depot has it. You really need to get it stuffed up into the corners. No leak from the inside corners so far.

4. Mar 26, 2017 at 2:59 PM
    Abragus

Abragus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Suffolk, VA
    Is the duct seal kind of like a caulk or almost play-doh type material?

I ended up taking mine to the local Leer dealer because I didn't want to mess with wiring it. The dealer used some sort of caulk/putty mix (I assume is easier to remove than regular caulk) and stuck it between the cap and the bed - still didn't work. I just adjusted the positioning of the cap and tightened her down - no more leaks after washing it yesterday.

Good luck man, it's been a bumpy road since I bought mine but I think I finally have it dialed in.

tacotmac[OP] likes this.
  5. Mar 26, 2017 at 3:05 PM
    Abragus

Abragus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Suffolk, VA
    IMG_8633.jpg IMG_8631.jpg
    This is the seal I used. The second pic is what I did that didn't work.

6. Mar 26, 2017 at 3:54 PM
    Hudson Taco

Hudson Taco Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma 4x4
    None yet
    It's a gray, puddy like material. It's used to seal around electrical connections that enter your house. You can find it in the electrical section at HD. It's sticks well, but can be removed much easier that regular silicone or latex caulk. Make sure you plug all the outside gaps the best you can, then work on the inside corners.

My cap guy is great. No leaks from the install. But I am on the third, yes third set of windows from Leer. because they all have leaked. The cap dealer told me if they leak again he will give me a refund and I'll try and go a different route such as a flip or hard tonneau cover.

Products Discussed in

To Top