1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questions about TC Uniball UCAs...and uniballs in general

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jproffer, May 13, 2019.

1. May 13, 2019 at 7:02 AM
    jproffer

jproffer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Perryville, MO
    Vehicle:
    '15 MGM Sport DCLB, V6
    I've flip-flopped back and forth between Camburg and TC and asked about them in another thread that was a couple years old lol. I think these questions are relevant regardless of which brand I go with, so here goes:

For reference, this is what I'm thinking about:

https://www.amazon.com/Prerunner-20...W520H2EJQ5FQQK9FA1ZZ&qid=1557754757&s=gateway

or

https://www.amazon.com/Camburg-Toyo...coma&qid=1557754757&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmrnull

Ok, questions:

1) Are uniballs greasable? Do they even need to be greased? Is there a zerk fitting that goes in them to grease them? The picture shows 4 zerks total, so I would assume those are for 4 bushings, which leaves none for the uniballs, so......?

2) If I don't offroad and I don't have a lift, and don't necessarily plan on having a lift (except possibly just a leveling lift on the front) is there any compelling reason for me NOT to use either the TCs or the Camburgs (other than maybe it's kinda overkill and not necessary, which I'm ok with). IOW, will they not "work right" with a stock height truck for any reason?

3) Heim Joint vs. Urethane Bushing. Is there any reason to justify the extra $275 for the heim joint in my application, mentioned above? (no lift, no wheeling, etc)

I'll probably think of more either because of answers here or just because my mind runs constant about things like this, especially things I don't understand like suspension. But I'm ready and willing to be taken to school. Any info appreciated.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

2. May 13, 2019 at 7:12 AM
    DocME

DocME Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 FJ Cruiser
    TRD S/C, UCON, 61# inj, 2.5 pulley, 7th inj, Roostfactor Y Pipe, URD exhaust, WAT Nomad Valve body, Dana 60, DK LT, JD FAB LCA mounts, custom roof rack...and way too many others.
    1) keep the uniball as clean as possible. Grease will only attract dust and grit and will cause premature wear on the joint. This will be evident by the notorious uniball squeak.
    2) should work ok with a stock height truck, but there is literally no benefit. You be better off buying a set of coilovers with the money.
    3)hiems should last longer. But having said that I’ve had my total chaos arms for over 120kmiles, which I also bought used. Only done one bushing change and one uniball change.

74cam and jproffer[OP] like this.
  3. May 13, 2019 at 8:00 AM
    jproffer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Perryville, MO
    Vehicle:
    '15 MGM Sport DCLB, V6
    Fair enough. Like I said, I'm pretty much in kindergarten as far as suspension goes, so what coil-overs.....and what are coil-overs? I have shocks inside of coils (struts) now....is that coil-overs? (I'm thinking coil over a shock....coil-over). I'm probably way off lol.

4. May 13, 2019 at 8:11 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Id look into getting something from JBA or SPC for a sealed ball joint UCA for ease of maintenance. but really there is no need for UCA's if you dont have any lift.

whatstcp and jproffer[OP] like this.
  5. May 13, 2019 at 8:17 AM
    DocME

DocME Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 FJ Cruiser
    TRD S/C, UCON, 61# inj, 2.5 pulley, 7th inj, Roostfactor Y Pipe, URD exhaust, WAT Nomad Valve body, Dana 60, DK LT, JD FAB LCA mounts, custom roof rack...and way too many others.
    "Coil-overs" are kinda a slang term for aftermarket coil over shocks. This differs from the factory strut (which as you pointed out is also a coil over shock design) by way of superior dampening control, volume, and adjust-ability. They should be your first upgrade to the front suspension, not the control arms. Many people seek the coil overs to be used a lift, but really their benefit doesn't stop at just lifting, or leveling the front end. They will outperform a stock shock on everything from dirt roads to harder trails. Some might say they are also better for street driving, and in many ways I would say this is true.

I'm not trying to sell you on a set of shocks for your truck here, as you point out you may never offroad...but what I am saying is that a set of upper control arms for a street driven, non lifted truck is not how I'd spend my money. The reason most people run aftermarket upper control arms with their fancy coil overs is that the new control arms help correct suspension geometry. Yes, they are more robust for high speed desert runs, but the main reason is to help correct caster.

Having said that, if I were to recommend some coil overs, my go to would be King's. Although Foxes would be a good runner up.

6. May 13, 2019 at 8:35 AM
    jproffer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Perryville, MO
    Vehicle:
    '15 MGM Sport DCLB, V6
    That's why I was kind of wondering about the uniball design. In my mind, no grease ever in a moving part is bad. I understand sealed things (ball joints, wheel bearings, etc), and if the uni's were like that, then fine, but I don't know if they're a sealed design or just a dry design.

That's kinda what I'm gathering that UCAs in my situation would be a waste of money...or at very least not top of the list. I appreciate your input.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    DocME likes this.
  7. May 13, 2019 at 8:45 AM
    jproffer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Perryville, MO
    Vehicle:
    '15 MGM Sport DCLB, V6
    Ok, so a setup like this: (this is in my cart too....waiting for time/money/knowledge enough to not go totally blindly into it)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MH8EUBS/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A1S9YHSAOS3JWY&psc=1

+

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004P9PGYM/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A2MOBBHRX7CB6B&psc=1

+ a couple of

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7S0KA8/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=AL138N9LMRY4T&psc=1

(aside from the rears in the 4 pack) would essentially be "coil-overs"? So my mind was kind of in the right direction? Lots to learn....shooooooo....but I'm willing......ok.

And Kings I'll have to look into. I looked at Fox brand once and they seemed to be at least twice the price or more, but it's hard for me to compare apples to apples with my limited knowledge.

Ok, so now speaking of the rears in that 4 pack above, using those with stock leafs....good? bad? indifferent? unnecessary?

I truly do appreciate all the knowledge flowing here from anyone and everyone. It's a lot to take in, but I'm gonna keep after it.

8. May 13, 2019 at 8:53 AM
    DocME

DocME Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 FJ Cruiser

You're right the Kings/Fox shock setups are double the money. I might argue its worth it, if you're using your truck hard. If you're not, the Bilsteins are a great approach and there are many here that are super happy with that setup. I don't have leaves, so I'll refrain from commenting on that question. But to be clear, if there was a choice between the shocks and upper arms. I would do the shock over the arms. You can always change the arms out later if your alignment shop tells you that you're on the edge.

jproffer[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  9. May 13, 2019 at 9:01 AM
    jproffer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Perryville, MO
    Vehicle:
    '15 MGM Sport DCLB, V6
    That's what I wanted to hear (not just because of the money lol) . To be clear and totally honest...I have no problem spending money to make this truck last as long as it should, however I'm also not looking to just "waste" money setting it up for extremes that I'll very likely never take it to.

You don't have leaf springs?.....I know this is another rabbit hole I probably don't even need to look into, but....*sigh*....what do you have instead of leaf springs? Can a person put coils on the back too?...and is there any reason to for street/unlifted driving?

10. May 13, 2019 at 9:06 AM
    DocME

DocME Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 FJ Cruiser
    <---- I have an FJ, which was a coil spring rear from the factory. Yes you can go coilover in the rear, but it's alotta fab work, probably not the rabbit hole you want..... yet.

11. May 13, 2019 at 9:13 AM
    jproffer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Perryville, MO
    Vehicle:
    '15 MGM Sport DCLB, V6
    Probably not the rabbit hole I want.....ever lol. Didn't even notice about the FJ.

Na, I'll keep the leafs as long as they're good enough for a street rig, which I have to assume they are or Toyota wouldn't have put them on here.............maybe. :)

12. May 13, 2019 at 9:14 AM
    DocME

DocME Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 FJ Cruiser
    Yeah, leafs are good for all kinds of use. Especially when your truck is so close to stock. Can't beat them for the money.

13. May 13, 2019 at 9:26 AM
    jproffer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Perryville, MO
    Vehicle:
    '15 MGM Sport DCLB, V6
    Still wondering about adding the bilsteins to the stock leafs.....good, bad, or otherwise. I honestly don't know enough to even know what to google other than "hey google...can I use aftermarket shocks with stock leaf springs on a 15 tacoma". And I can't even imagine the shit storm of results that would bring on lol.

14. May 13, 2019 at 2:17 PM
    Turdyota3000

Turdyota3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Round da corner
    Vehicle:
    07 dcsb trd off-road
    Icon 2.5's, TC, yackety shmackety....
    I use bicycle chain dry lube on my total chaos whenever they get squeaky.

jproffer[OP] likes this.
  15. May 13, 2019 at 2:40 PM
    93yotasr5

93yotasr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    I’m a big fan of my TC UCAs. I use dry spray lube for the Uniballs and there is no nasty squeak and the dry line does not attract dirt.
    Unless you’re going to lift your truck don’t waste your money. If you are going to then buy them and swap in new suspension and the UCAs at the same time.

jproffer[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top