1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questions on various issues

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by finicky99, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Jul 30, 2010 at 4:33 PM
    finicky99

finicky99 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    San Antonio
    I have a 2002 4-door prerunner and I am in the process of lifting it. I have a 3" suspension lift but I wanted to add another 3" to it but I can't really afford a 6" suspension lift (in addition to everything else - new hood, new front bumper n grille, new rear bumper and body work to fix damage) so I am going with a 3" body lift. I know many people are opposed to this but I saw an "01 that someone was selling with 3 suspension and 3 body and it gorgeous. Anyway, I have questions about wheels and tires and the gears. I wanted to get 35x1250x15 (fbg km2) but i am not 100% sure if they'd fit without doing any trimming. Also, the rims I wanted were these http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetail.aspx?partNo=BRW900B586037 , but I am also not 100% sure if they'd fit. I heard that I need the tires to stick out a lit for stability but not sure if the backspace or offset or either of them is big enough. To be completely honest I don't know any of the specs on my stock 16 wheels (embarrassing). Also, I have been hearing that I would have to get my gears changed if I go with 35 tires. I was wondering how expensive this could be, I have heard it is pretty expensive. Also, I am not going off roading or anything like that, my truck is strictly for everyday use. I rarely ride on the highway or express way in this truck either so I was wondering if this makes a difference. I am sorry about my lack of knowledge on any of this but I have been coming on this site for about a week and I see that pretty much everyone is extremely knowledgable on this information. I thank you guys in advance for your help.

2. Jul 30, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Welcome to TW, with all due respect your kinda all over the map with what you want to do, its a daily driver but rarely sees the highways or expressways (does it have wings?..:D) I guess you mean just surface streets, & your not going to offroad it which in this case is probably a good idea that this truck never sees any trails with the addition of a 3" body lift (bad)on top of the 3"suspension lift(good) you already have, body lifts drastically change center of gravity & magnify body roll (please leave your anti sway bar on) God forbid you ever have to make a "panic" turn left or right to avoid something I can practically gaurantee your going to put your ride on its side or on its roof, sounds like what your trying to build is a first class (dare I say it) Mall crawler which is fine if you just want the "ooooohhss & aaahhhhhhss" of people looking at the pretty truck, I'm not putting ya down man just being realistic because by the numbers most members here seem to do the "mods" for purpose & functionallity, so that said if your "purpose" is for the "look" I'm talking about , then have at it, & enjoy it, it is your truck to do with what you will but leave the term "functionality" out of the mix because you will not have both... just my opinion......:cool:

3. Jul 30, 2010 at 5:35 PM
    rex99

rex99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TArdCOMAWORLD
    Vehicle:
    Proton Cruiser
    Rocket Boosters, Flux Capacitor, Escape Pod, Throttle Body Spacer, Homeroshi, ATRAC disable
    :goingcrazy:too many run-on sentences:goingcrazy:

4. Jul 30, 2010 at 5:42 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

For Christ's sakes this is a forum not a class in gramatical sentence structure.....:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

imsorryforhavingtoomanysentenceswithoutthe correctparagraphbreaksperiodsandanyotherbullshitthatgoesalongwithenglishsentencestructure101Ifailedenglishinhighschoolandiknowitshowsimtakingacourseatnightadultschooltocorrectmyincorrectsentencestructuremusthavebeenallthedrugsididinmyyouth

5. Jul 30, 2010 at 8:29 PM
    sdcoma

sdcoma Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    prerunner
    suck-butt spacer lift soon to be gone

Laughed my ass off, classic :rofl:

6. Aug 1, 2010 at 2:04 PM
    Beeson

Beeson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    '96 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    33" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 15" Unique Steelie rims, Allpro wheel spacers, Heavy Old Man Emu coils, struts, shocks, leaf springs, Daystar 1" spacer, Camburg UCAs, 1" diff drop, NO sway bar, Allpro sliders, Allpro Rear bumper, Bushwacker fender flares, Tire Gate with spare, ARB Deluxe bumper with Hella 700s and 100w bulbs, 100w lights under frame pointed at tires, 50w lights on bumper for reverse, K&N Drycharger with cover, Flowmaster cat-back with custom 2-out exhast, DeeZee tool box, Huskey Liners, 5% window tint, JVC iPhone/CB compatable deck, Bazooka sub, sony speakers, Uniden CB w/4 ft. anntenna, Dixie Horn.
    Yes, a lot of run-on sentences, haha, but all truth.

7. Aug 1, 2010 at 7:34 PM
    Phisherman162

Phisherman162 Active Member

Member:
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1998 2.7 4X4 & 2017 TRD OR
    1998: Body lift, debadged, ARB Bumper, Bilstein 5100 Shocks 2017: Leitner ACS rack, Treeline Rooftop tent
    I have heard all kinds of bad talk about body lifts, but nothing to back it up. I have owned an 01 and currently own a 98, 01 was stock extended cab with 32" tires and the 98 has a 3" body lift with 32" tires. My 01 was sold to a buddy and has since had a 3" suspension lift, and I would say my 98 rides better than the 01 with the lift.

Here is some logic as far as center of gravity goes: Why would lifting the body 3" be worse that lifting the entire body/frame 3"? If you have an additional 650 lbs 3" higher with the suspension lift, logic says that it should suffer from sway and roll worse that the body lift.

The added bonus of the body lift are keeping the suspension geometry stock, keeping the drivetrain geometry stock, cost, ease of install, and how much easier it makes working under the rig (exhaust, etc). The downside is cosmetic. You will end up with a gap in between the frame and body at the bed, and the rubber covers in the front will not fit. I am in the process of fabbing my own covers for those. Also the frame sticks out under the truck, which i will be covering with some sliders. The biggest downside has been the shifter boot getting in the way. I need to take it out and make something out of an old wetsuit to cover the holes.

8. Aug 1, 2010 at 10:45 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Based on your logic, the stock suspension is better than aftermarket springs and shocks. Sorry, can't agree with you there.

9. Aug 1, 2010 at 11:12 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Because the "lift" starts at the LCA's , one of the lowest parts of the IFS frame/drive train at the front & on top the axle in the rear (also low point of drive train) (or at the top of the axle if its SA= solid axle in front)
    = lower center of gravity

Then with longer coils & shocks, and/or diff. UCA's if IFS

bigger leaf pack usually with more arc & shackles for raising the rear

& pretty much the same application for the front if solid axle= thru suspension the lift has been achieved ,with the desired 3"-or 4" at a lower center of gravity than the same 3"-or 4" lift from body lift, because the body lift starts at a higher center of gravity i.e; from the top of the frame.

But you do make an interesting point though......:cool:

10. Aug 2, 2010 at 1:23 PM
    Phisherman162

Phisherman162 Active Member

Member:
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1998 2.7 4X4 & 2017 TRD OR
    1998: Body lift, debadged, ARB Bumper, Bilstein 5100 Shocks 2017: Leitner ACS rack, Treeline Rooftop tent
    the suspension lift raises the frame and the body. The body lift only raises the body. It is a simple matter of more weight being at a longer fulcrum from the ground. Which would be more stable, a person sitting on a 3' barstool or a person sitting on a 6' barstool with the same footprint as the 3' barstool?

As far as stock suspension, no I think that after market suspension is better. I only needed a little lift to get 32" tires under it with no rub or bump. If you are wheeling your rig, or need larger tires, then you would probably want a suspension and body lift to get it up to where you want it.

The only other downside to the body lift other than the ones I have mentioned is that you might be more likely to tweak the frame if you get into an accident.

11. Aug 2, 2010 at 2:48 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    You are correct about the "after market" suspension lifting the frame & body, but your assertion of a 6' barstool on a 3' footprint doesn't add up due to the fact that the suspension lift is done thru the use of enhanced components, heavier springs, bigger,thicker shocks ie; more weight support for the "mod" thats been done, I'm gonna try to find a illustrated paper I found awhile back so you can see & understand what I'm talking about , also explains the "center of gravity" start points probably better than I have, hey I don't think the worst thing to happen to a truck is a body lift, the worst thing would be to slam it down !! haha (I'm going to get shit for that) & if you like a body lift & its worked out for you thats great man .... happy trails

12. Aug 12, 2010 at 6:29 AM
    whitaco

whitaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Northern, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD white with a touch of badass.
    K&N cold air, Harris throttle body spacer, westin bull bar, chrome mirrors, rainguards, bugflector, 20% tint. Borla cat back, weathertec, ome complete lift with dakar leaf packs, light racing UCA's and a toytec add an inch shackle, 33x12.5 15 BFG KM2's. Procomp 15x10's with 3.75" backspacing, carpet dash cover, tint visor, PIAA off road lights, aftermarket tail and headlights, smittybuilt nerf bars stainless
    In my opinion, if all you want is a 5-6" lift you should go with a 3" body and a 2.5-3" Toytec ultimate or a complete OME kit. Make sure you get the gap guards from wheelers to make it look the best. Also some upgraded CV boots will help in the long run. I would recommend some extended brake lines instead of installing the crappy relocaters. I wouldn't run 35's without lowering your gearing though. Stick with 33's. You will have a better ride and you will allow more clearance if you do any type of flexing.

Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top