1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

QUICK oil change question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kbp68, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Dec 31, 2010 at 6:34 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Sigh...

First of all I didn't quote anything your way, or remotely have anything to do with you, or the discussion on the your pressurized engine oil topic - so I really don't know why you are making a deal about it towards me?

Obviously the engine oil is under pressure while the oil pump is functioning. How else would it leave the pan on the bottom and reach the top valve train? No I don't take my truck to be serviced, I do everything myself and have the documentation to support that should Toyota inquire. I don't want to write Toyota's manuals, but I have found misinformation in those as well as unnecessary steps in some of the procedures - if anyone wishes to know.

Just as you feel an individual has the right to present their opinion, you should also realize that the original poster of a question also has the right to correct information - therefore if incorrect "facts" or "opinions" are presented - they should be disputed for the benefit of the individual seeking the information. Unfortunately "opinions" don't always correctly fix a vehicle, but correct information and facts do.

The bottom line here is the OP asked if he could simply swap a filter on a 4.0L V6 engine the next time he had the opportunity. In short, yes he can - and no he don't need to remove any engine oil to do so.

2. Dec 31, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Yes, the filter is in an ideal place....makes me wonder why other manufacturers don't attempt to do the same. Oil changes are deintely a lot more practical and enjoyable on the Tacoma.

3. Dec 31, 2010 at 7:13 AM
    DocD

DocD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mn./SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab

Well, you should have answered his question, and we could have avoided all these 40+ posts, The bottom line is, a person asked a question, and people offered opinions, a discussion ensued and a lot of information was provided, for those of us that don't know everything it was informative. I think by reading the posts the OP received good information on his question. I think you should contact Toyota and point out their mistakes!!, as you stated we have the right to the correct information, I'll bet they would be happy to hear from you, Doc

4. Dec 31, 2010 at 8:05 AM
    Fortech

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    I did, post #27.

5. Dec 31, 2010 at 8:43 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    Wow .... this certainly has been an interesting read ...... :popcorn:

6. Dec 31, 2010 at 9:15 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    For such an easy question I'm surprised there were so many different opinions.
    I read a few posts back about putting some oil in the filter before installing to prevent a dry start-up. Is this a standard practice when doing oil changes? The reason I ask is I've never done this and have had vehicals last over 300,000 miles with no oil or engine issues (1988 4Runner V6.) Does anyone bother to put any oil in the 2nd gen V6 filter before installation? Seems to me with the small amount it would hold it wouldn't matter.

7. Dec 31, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    steviestyles

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    I on't add oil to my filters before I put them on for obvious reasons, it would come pouring out as soon as I inverted the filter to install it :eek:. The residual oil remaining in your engine after draining the oil is usially suffice when yo ustart it up after an oil change.

8. Dec 31, 2010 at 11:26 AM
    Truckn4life

Truckn4life Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Iowa City
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4 Reg Cab SR5
    I never recommended to the OP that he specifically drain the oil on this truck. He was looking for a quick fix and was worried about any oil in the top of his motor coming out with his filter. As, no one had yet told him if any oil would come out when he removed his filter, I made a GENERAL comment that all you need to do is drain out a little oil and pour it back in after, to insure this was not a problem.

Looking back i could have been more clear on this. I was not trying to miss inform and more important the information I gave out would have caused no problems.

Steviestyles i want to thank you for correcting wrong information when you see it.

9. Dec 31, 2010 at 11:33 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    I was thinking more about the oil that get's held in place by the anti drain-back valve. I've read other's reasons for putting oil into the filter before installation is for oil pressure purposes during start up but it seems to me after doing a oil change the engine wouldn't be pressurized anyway so why bother...am I missing something?

10. Dec 31, 2010 at 11:56 AM
    Fortech

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    If your engine has a vertically installed oil filter that allows you to pre fill without making a huge mess, it doesn't hurt to do so. It also doesn't hurt, according to used oil analysis (UOA) to install the filter dry. The amount of time with zero oil pressure is so negligible that apparently according to sources it doesn't even show up in a UOA.

Pre filling of filters (fuel and oil) is more common on larger diesel engines that have one or more filters that have a capacity of several liters each. Obviously the amount of time to fill several filters of a 1/2 gallon capacity each would result in oil starvation for the engine. Most of the filters on consumer vehicles contain such a small volume it fills nearly instantly.

11. Dec 31, 2010 at 12:06 PM
    steviestyles

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Well looking back at your previous posts, you actually did recommend draining oil on 2 occassions. All has been cleared up now. This particular circumstance may not lead to something disatorious, but had this been a different topic it may have been. As Fortech pointed out earlier as much as we feel inclined to give our opinion on something, people come to TW to look for ways to do things so they don't botch it up, or a better way of doing it. Hopefully lessons learned from all of this for everyone.

12. Dec 31, 2010 at 12:09 PM
    steviestyles

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    I'm with you, I've never added oil to any filter on any vehicle I've owned and never had a problem. It shouldn't be an issue as Fortech pointed out earlier on our trucks.

Products Discussed in

To Top