1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Quick oil change shop Poll: (places like JiffyLube)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Truckn4life, Dec 11, 2010.

?

Do Jiffylube type places actually change your oil?

1. I doubt they change my oil, filter, or use full synthetic when I pay for it.

83 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. I think they change my oil just not with full synthetic.

40 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. I think most of the time they perform the service you pay for.

191 vote(s)
    53.2%
  4. I know they perform the serivces you pay for and do a good job.

45 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. May 27, 2011 at 8:19 PM
    bigblack87

bigblack87 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD offroad
    6in procomp,18in xd monster rims, 305/65/r18 bfg all terrain tires, nfab step bars
    i used to work at jiffylube last year when i was 17 and truthfully the only person i would have let touch my truck was me! just seeing how they don't have to go through any training showed me how they arent trust worthy

2. May 27, 2011 at 8:52 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I didn't read the thread or many of the posts so this is a generalized statement to no one in particular...

I don't care what your situation is, unless you can't walk you should be able to change your own damn oil. Anything else is asking for problems, unfortunately.

I changed my oil in a parking lot with milk jugs once, with minimal oil spillage.

Improvise Adapt Overcome

That being said, I do any service I can, and fortunately after a hell of a time with one tire shop I found a guy I trust to do my alignment.

3. May 28, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    They do a good job and give you what you pay for? :eek:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...be_damage.html
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/valvoline.html
    http://www.jiffylubeproblems.com/
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/walmart.htm
    http://www.complaintsboard.com/bycom...ube-a3272.html
    http://www.jiffylubeproblems.com/Experiences676-700.htm
    http://www.mohea.com/mike/words/000158.html

4. May 29, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
  5. Jul 13, 2011 at 11:48 PM
    2006TRDSPORT

2006TRDSPORT 2006TRDSPORT

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Felton, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 4WD
    I am guilty of using these places on rare occasion, and one of the big reasons I QUIT using these places is because I happened to notice while changing an exes oil for her, that the oil filter that had supposedly been getting changed every 3000 miles looked as if it had been on there for years, and was very rusted out. I personally enjoy doing this job myself and KNOWING that my Tacoma is getting proper maintenance so my engine can last a long time. Not to mention it's a very easy task.

6. Jul 14, 2011 at 1:45 AM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    I was ripped off when I was younger & since then avoid quick oil change places. They are a complete ripoff & over priced. All the news shows have done undercover reports on these places & they ripped them off every time. Jiffy lube was the worst offender.

7. Aug 5, 2011 at 5:58 PM
    jsutter

jsutter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Southeast Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Reg. Cab 4cyl 2wd
    cruise and intermittent wipers
    I just change the oil myself. This way I know what is going into the engine and I don't have to worry about cross threaded drain plugs, over tightened filters, or to much/little oil. Also, ,it gets me up under the vehicle and I can check for anything else that is wearing out.

8. Aug 6, 2011 at 6:54 AM
    skiracer0112

skiracer0112 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Breckenridge, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver Double Cab 6-speed TRD OR
    I have used Walmart's lube shop for my old truck and have been generally pleased with their service. I used to change my own all the time but I have recently not had the time and its far more convenient in the middle of winter. On top of that it only costs about $10 more than doing a Mobil1 change at home.

The one time I had a problem was when they decided to use compressed air to clean my K&N. I fortunately saw it and pointed it out to the manager as well as the damage and he immediately offered to replace it. Since then I always watch the oil changes being performed and they have never forgotten anything and have always used the correct oil and filter.

9. Aug 6, 2011 at 2:37 PM
    nickstone

nickstone Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner DCLB
    Avid Offroad Light Bar and Steps Weathertech Wind Deflectors More to come
    Last time I used Jiffy Lube, they didn't tighten my oil plug and it fell out dumping the oil all over the street on my way home from work. Oil light came on before I realized what was happening. Called the manager the next day and he offered to give me another oil change but he wouldn't pay for me to tow the truck over there. I said no thanks. Now I change my own oil.

10. Aug 7, 2011 at 5:57 AM
    pavemobile

pavemobile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport SR5 PreRunner
    K&N Intake
    I don't get much opportunity to post; been pretty busy trying to survive but I saw this thread and wanted to pass some experience along. I know a guy that runs a service spot here in town, not a corporate shop but private. He's old school - I take my own oil and filter to him and he charges me labor only and treats my truck like it's his own. We both win, I support the local folks and I save a little time and get some piece of mind.

I got the 2 year free oil change deal from my dealer; Sullivan Toyota of Wichita Falls. What an incompetent bunch of clowns. They will never touch my truck again. I will drive to another dealer out of town for warranty work. The first time they changed oil, the service tech spilled oil all over the skid plate, frame and the surrounding area. They washed the engine area before I picked it up. No problem, I make messes too, just like everyone. The next oil change, they did the same thing, only worse. I waited this time and when they drove it around for me to pick up and I noticed oil dripping from the skid plate. I always do a look over, this time they didn't even wash it up. When I went in to complain they gave me a bunch of crap about it. I spoke to the dealership owner just to clue him in on my customer experience.

I politely reinforced the word of mouth effect that always comes from experiences like this. OK, wordy but long story short - if you find a place that takes care of your equipment and you trust them, support them. Case of beer on a Saturday, couple dozen donuts for the guys, you know what I mean. Help your local businesses stay healthy. And no, I don't own a business, just want all of us to stay on top!

11. Aug 7, 2011 at 7:52 AM
    Old Soul

Old Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    not to many, love it the way it is
    Buy a qwik valve (Fumoto) drain plug and do the oil changes your self. How to = 2nd gen oil change link by the man chris4x4 - http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/11201-ultimate-oil-change-thread.html#post124480.

Unless you know someone that works at the lube centers who cares about your stuff do not risk it, it seems that a dealer would be a better choice if you cannot do the changes yourself... even then check under the hood before getting on the highway or at least be adamant that someone has double checked their work before putting the vehicle back into your hands.

12. Sep 12, 2011 at 6:20 PM
    j753301

j753301 Active Member

Member:
    South Hadley , Mass
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport double cab
    i manage a jiffy lube in mass and dont forget these are franchised places.the owner of mine owns 8 in the area and is very aware of the bad publicity we get and works very hard to prove this wrong.we do use what you pay for and do every service as it should be done.but also working on 100 cars per day things do happen and we pay for everything 100%, repairs, rental ,whatever we have to to make it right.most of the crappy jiffy lubes are on the west coast for some reason.

13. Feb 21, 2012 at 12:36 AM
    Broseph Stalin

Broseph Stalin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Santa Barbara
    Vehicle:
    '10 white dbl cab LB trd sport
    15% tint , Bak Flip G2 tonneau cover, poplock WeatherTech mats, FX-R retrofit, BHLM, eyelids, smoke Lamin-X, daystar leveling kit, studded snow tires and a shitload of sand bags
    my friend took her car to a jiffy lube and the idiots CRASHED IT into another car there! Not only did they refuse to pay for it, she had to take their asses to small claims court to get her money back.

I used to drive a 1990 BMW 325i. Most epic little unstoppable car ever i might add lol. Every oil change place i ever went was $29.95. The first time i go to Jiffy Lube, thinking it wouldn't be any different, i walk up to the desk to pay and the bitch say's "that'll be $85.99" WHAT THE FUCK??? i just asked for an oil change, not a BJ. I was furious and asked why it was so much. Her response was that "It's a BMW so we have to charge more" My ass if my drain bolt is $60 harder to remove than any other car...and its a 1990 for god sake not a fucking 2010 M3. NEVER AGAIN!!!

14. Apr 20, 2012 at 8:25 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    I had a buddy go to jiffy lube he got about 10 miles away and the engine started running weird. He pulled over and checked the dip stick. Dry. Called jiffy they had it towed. Ended up the tech either did not put the drain plug in or just put in a few threads any way it did not have one anymore.

15. Apr 20, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    Kevin C

Kevin C Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner TRD Sport V6
    I have past experience with Oil Stop with no problems. They once discovered a small leak on a new Solara and suggested I take it to the dealership. Smug ass at the dealership chastised me for going there. After checking out the car, he came back with a sheepish look and his tail between his legs. Turns out Oil Stop found a leak in the head gasket. I said I guess those idiots at Oil Stop were right. He was silent.

16. Jul 14, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    I usually have my vehicles' state inspection done at a Jiffy Lube, but they won't touch anything else.

17. Jul 14, 2012 at 5:16 PM
    2004tacoprerunner

2004tacoprerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    byron, mn
    Vehicle:
    2004tacoprerunner
    I installed security cameras in wal-marts all across the Midwest and my first couple of days on the job I was like why are we installing cams in the pit?
    Because they are retards and you need video evidence to see what they do down there.

18. Jul 14, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    The Tacoma has to be one of the easiest vehicles in history to do an oil change.

I can not imagine not doing it myself. I especially can not imagine taking it to a quick lube joint.

19. Jul 14, 2012 at 5:45 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    ... ^^^ ... I started typing almost the exact same thing ... but was called to eat my Saturday evening BLT.

So, I log back on and start to do my post and see the post above ... there must be ESP here ... :D

20. Jul 14, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    wise minds think alike.

or, its a southern thing...or should I say, thaang. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top