1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

quick question about headlight functionality

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Neb, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Aug 2, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    Neb

Neb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD S/C, URD ShortShifter, URD Y-pipe, URD Mk2 Catback, URD 2.8Pulley, URD U-spec headers, Innovate AFR/Boost, AFE Intake
    Noob question:

Ok, so if you turn on the headlights, then turn off the vehicle, and then open the door, they shut off. Does this mean its ok to leave the headlight switch turned on all the time? Kinda like DRL's? Or is this going to drain the battery at some point.

Just curious; this thing is still very new to me. (its an 07 access if that makes any diff).

Thanks,
    Ben

2. Aug 2, 2010 at 8:46 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    They also turn off after the truck has been off for 1 min. Technically, It shouldnt hurt the battery if you leave them switched on.

3. Aug 2, 2010 at 8:48 PM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    I leave my switch on all the time.

4. Aug 2, 2010 at 8:49 PM
    Neb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD S/C, URD ShortShifter, URD Y-pipe, URD Mk2 Catback, URD 2.8Pulley, URD U-spec headers, Innovate AFR/Boost, AFE Intake
    So there's basically no ill effects if you leave the headlights in the 'on' position all the time?

If this is the case, Great. I like drivin with mine on all the time, for safety sake.

Thanks!

5. Aug 3, 2010 at 6:24 AM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Actually, i dont know, i was once eating at a restaurant and another tacoma in the parking lot had his lights on the wholleee time (i was there for atleast an hour) and no one was in the truck. It was a black gen II DC tacoma. Poor guy, i bet he had a dead battery after lunch lol.

But, i have had my mom move my truck in the morning while i was sleeping because i forgot shes working the next day and i parked behind her car :p...but yeah,she left my parking lights on (or what ever that is before the full headlights). They weren't on when i went outside, when i went to start my truck the lights came back on. I didnt even know we had that feature till then!

6. Aug 3, 2010 at 6:52 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    It won't hurt your battery at all, there is no power drain when that switch is left on. That is a feture on these trucks when there is no daytime running lights. That way if you want like a day time running light feature you can just leave the switch on. But if you turn the truck off and open the door then switch them back on or on from the off position, they will stay on till you turn them off and of course then killing your battery.

7. Aug 3, 2010 at 7:00 AM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    If you turn back on the lights after it goes off automatically, it stays on (basically a manual overwrite)

8. Aug 3, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    Neb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Thanks for the replies. Sounds like a smart feature. My lights will now be set to 'on' indefinitely. No point in doing the DRL mod if you ask me.

9. Aug 3, 2010 at 7:10 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Yea in theory what everyone said is correct... but my 2010 I somehow managed to defeat that the other day (no idea what I did either). All I know is somehow the doors were closed, locked, and the lights were still on (and I didn't mess with the switch either, it was already on from driving). So.... I don't trust it now. I left them on a lot on my 08 though...

10. Aug 4, 2010 at 8:26 AM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    Well, the point of DRL is that you dont have to burn the bulbs unnecessarily. Not a huge issue if you don't mind replacing them every year or so but it could be an issue to people who live away from supplies.

11. Aug 4, 2010 at 1:58 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I leave mine on all the time, they shut off when I close the door and lock the truck. No battery issues for me.

Products Discussed in

To Top