1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Quitting Drinking....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Mr Wiggles, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Jan 13, 2009 at 4:37 PM
    billas333

billas333 They Still Love To Hate Me! - T.O.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Mods so far: Tube steps from toyota, Bed extender from toyota, Spare Tire lock, Sound System Makeover, Tacoma All-Weather heavy duty rubber floor mats. Rear TSB, Icon Coilovers w/ TC UCA's and 3inch rear block with rear 5100 bilstein shocks, Black Headlights, Grillcraft black grill, Devil Horns from Andres, Black Headlights, Chrome Liquid Metal Gatlins Wheels, 285/70R17 Nitto Tera Grapplers, Wet Okole Seat Covers! Seat Belt Chime Mod, Flowmaster 50 series dual exhaust, Debadged tailgate, TRD Decals, HID hi/low + fogs.
    As seinfeld says "Stay off the wagon, what do u think they use to do when transporting all that alcohol by wagon from town to town"

2. Jan 13, 2009 at 5:13 PM
    CheeseWithTaco

CheeseWithTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson, Az
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRun DubCab Lunar
    grrr...
    i dont get it... :confused:

3. Jan 14, 2009 at 12:22 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Lake Louise wasn't it?:D

4. Jan 14, 2009 at 12:30 AM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...
    Good for you man!

I downed an entire bottle (all 1 3/4 liters) of Vodka one night a few years ago. goes with out saying, but I may as well include that that night didnt turn out very well.

I drink a beer every now and again, but I steer clear for the most part.

5. Jan 14, 2009 at 2:50 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    I'll start by saying I rarely drink and could count the # of times I've been buzzed and drunk on 1 hand. I simply don't like the feeling and could never imagine wanting to deal with a hangover. But my BF drinks (more than I'd really like him too) so I am usually in situations that address your concerns.
    Boredom, well I'm usually the only one not drinking but that is okay with me and during social gatherings isn't the purpose to socialize? I don't go to gatherings where everyone is going to be falling down drunk just for the fun of it, I simply don't see the fun in it.
    Drinking with clients, why not just get something non-alcoholic? Just because someone or everyone else is drinking does not mean you have to also.
    I do get annoyed with the drunks, because I end up feeling like I have to babysit an adult, so I avoid those situations and if it gets to that point I leave, they are not fun and why would you want to be that guy?

You are on the right track and admitting your problem and sharing it shows a lot in my opinion and I think you will do fine. Sounds like your girl will be right on track with you, that support will help you both. You will probably discover some of your 'friends' aren't such great friends, just move on from them, they haven't grown up yet.

My story...my step-dad was a drunk and when I was about 8 years old he almost killed my mom right in front of me. I've never been a big fan of alcohol.

6. Jan 14, 2009 at 4:53 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Mr Wiggles best of luck with the goals you've set!
    Life's too short, enjoy the adventure
    FWIW, I don't drink & have tons of fun. Have a few folks in my life that do but not a partying crowd. My friends don't care if I don't drink & if they do they're not my friends. Hang in there, you can turn it around!

7. Jan 14, 2009 at 7:40 AM
    Mr Wiggles

Mr Wiggles [OP] Supergroovalisticprosifun kstication

Member:
    Emerald Lake Lodge, it was fucking unreal! I recommend any of the CRMR properties, the rooms at buffalo mountain lodge in Banff are nicer, but the seclusion and the food at emerald lake was second to none, plus they made a $300 mistake in my favor when i booked it. Score!

Yeah, my girlfriend's been a HUGE support. She likes to drink but has the moderation switch that i don't seem to possess. It was her idea to take January off (i think i scared her more than me from the blood incident), and she's helping me stay on track with my exercise/weight loss plan. She's in wicked shape, does 1 hr+ a day of yoga and pilates, but i really don't have the patience or the strength for it. So gym it is for me.

Thanks again guys for your stories and info and pm's and support. I didn't post this on my local board, just given the size of this board i figured there would be more people who've overcome substance abuse issues and i was certainly right.

8. Jan 15, 2009 at 10:11 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i actually did something almost identical. i rarely drank before college, i drank pretty heavily during college, and ever since i graduated i started drinking even more. i would get falling down drunk 4 to 5 times a week and i was never sober on weekends. after drinking a bottle (750ml) of jameson with no help one night just playing video games with my room mate, i started to worry i may be developing an addiction, so me and my room mate did "dry august" where neither one of us drank a drop of alcohol for the entire month.

It started off kind of rough, but mainly due to the boredom (which was pretty bad). but eventually i started to like my newfound sobriety. i felt less bloated, and felt much healthier. The strange colored and textured shits (which i had come to regard as normal) went away. My beltline shrank (i lost two inches off my waist in one month with no dietary change or working out) my bank account started to grow faster (i was spending a small fortune staying drunk all the time) i had more energy, i was active on wknds and learned to sail and picked up mtn biking again.

i discovered i was not an alcoholic since i didn't suffer from any negative side effects except extreme boredom, but i eventually got use to that. party situations were kind of hard but just keep a cup of something in your hand so you dont feel awkward.

from what you say our bodies are similar, i too can gain a few pounds and not notice (unfortunately i gained alot after college). I am 6 foot tall and was 200lbs in college but looked good, like i said, i have a large broad frame. but i jumped up to about 240lbs in about a year after i graduated. partly from drinking, partly from being less active. i dropped 2 inches off my waist and about 15lbs in one month. i was spending about $400 to $500 a month on booze, including bar tabs and liquor store visits. including mixers (coke, juice etc...) the liquor itself, and beer, i was consuming an extra 7000 calories per WEEK in booze alone, not including the 2AM fast food runs when i got hungry.

Well after august was over i started drinking alot less. i just found that i didn't WANT to get drunk all the time. in fact, i drank the first day of september, but i didn't get drunk for weeks afterwards. i dont think i was addicted but it had turned into a habbit. once i broke the habit i found it was pretty easy to drink socially and not binge all the time like i use to. even now that i dont drink as much i go a month every now and then when no booze just to kind of "cleanse" myself out. i think its a great idea. Good luck. let me now if i can help

9. Jan 15, 2009 at 10:13 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
  10. Jan 15, 2009 at 10:44 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    "Girdle don't fail me now!"

*Rrr-Rrr-RRrriiiippp!*

"BWUUUUHHHH!"

11. Jan 15, 2009 at 10:45 AM
    Mr Wiggles

Member:
    Ha ha, nice Futurama reference.

Nd, sounds like we have ALOT in common. thanks for posting.

12. Jan 15, 2009 at 5:51 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    good luck with the goals you are wanting to accomplish man! we all got your back here!!

i still drink, but nothing compared to how i was a few years back.............and its a good thing too. im way more moderate with it now. back then...........i was getting absolutely ripped outta the frame for the complete weekend, and half the week nights. it started to catch up to me bad too. when i got married, i was still being pretty rowdy with it, but after realizing that saving money/responsibilities are priority, i slowed down alot! i still have a few, but i really dont get hammered anymore. on occasion.......i still do, but thats once in a good while nowadays. i have been where you have been..............drinking till ya puke, and it had alot of blood in it. alot of us probably have. thats a good reason in itself to back off a good bit.

good luck with it man! you can do it!

13. Jan 15, 2009 at 8:32 PM
    Clelsdah

Clelsdah Western Alliance: Yeehaw Division

Member:
    No California Foothills
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4
    Bed mat, tube steps, Ipod interface, Ride-rite air springs

I would add any Raiders' wins to the list of special occasions... might add a couple days a year. Maybe!!! Sorry had to take the shot but I have no room to talk being a Niner Fan. Good luck Wiggles!!

14. Jan 15, 2009 at 8:46 PM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
    i seriously love the kind of support you can get these days on internet forums...i never woulda thought that a bunch of random strangers brought together only by the truck we drive could actually care about eachother this much. TW rocks, yotatech was nothing compared to this site.

15. Jan 15, 2009 at 8:47 PM
    desertdude59

desertdude59 CRAZY 4WHEELER

Member:
    From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful W
    Vehicle:
    1991 toyota 4x4 sr5-lost but not forgotten
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's
    Sounds like stopping drinking is a good idea. My dad has been 19 years sober. I know a lot of guys that are in the program. Im not one of them, but I have the understanding from growing up around it. One of my good friends died at 37 years old from drinking. His body just shut down. The coughing up blood would want to make me stop. Good luck to you.

16. Jan 19, 2009 at 11:49 AM
    Mr Wiggles

Member:
    Hell yeah!!! Thanks everyone!

So, i'm 8 days in on my "program", 19 days without a drink. I'm down 4 lbs, and feel fantastic. And honestly, haven't really been thinking about drinking. This is easier so far than i thought it'd be.

17. Jan 19, 2009 at 11:50 AM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    good job dude. keep it up

18. Jan 19, 2009 at 12:32 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    yeah, thats exactly what happened to me. i was absolutely amazed at how much better i felt.

19. Jan 19, 2009 at 12:51 PM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    I liked you better when you were drinking.. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

20. Jan 19, 2009 at 12:59 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    oh i still do, just not to the extent i use to

Products Discussed in

To Top