1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radio Backlight Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by boulderz, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Jul 31, 2010 at 8:08 AM
    boulderz

boulderz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just bought a new 2010 double cab about a month ago and am wondering if the backlight on my radio is not working - I don't even know if there is a backlight but during the day, I cannot see any damn thing on the screen - is there supposed to be a backlight? Or does it just suck? At night obviously it is not a problem. I can take a pic if necessary.

2. Jul 31, 2010 at 12:39 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Not sure about the 2010's, but my 08 head unit had a backlight.

I say "had" because the stock head unit sucks and I upgraded mine shortly after getting my 08 DC 4x4 Sport.

There are numerous threads on this site documenting the problems with the stock head units. Do yourself a huge favor and pull it out and get a decent unit. You can do a nice upgrade for $200 including the dash kit.

3. Jul 31, 2010 at 1:22 PM
    boulderz

boulderz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    This is what it looks like. You can read it well in this pic but when driving you can't read it well especially if it's sunny. Maybe it's just a dim backlight? Can someone compare it to theirs?

113.jpg

4. Jul 31, 2010 at 1:31 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    I don't think the backlight is on with out the head lights on. I could be wrong. But that has nothing to do with not being able to see it in the day. Its just a bad design in the radio. The angle of that screen is not the greatest and so if any bright light hits it from above you just see the reflection of that light. I don't really have the money to get a new radio, but I have thought of making almost a little visor for it. If I ever get the time anyway. Maybe out of a peice of aluminum or something easy to bend and light enough to stay on.

5. Jul 31, 2010 at 2:21 PM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    My '09 is the same. With the sun's glare, no way to see it.

6. Jul 31, 2010 at 6:37 PM
    TacoFred13

TacoFred13 Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket!

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Klein, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Super White TRD Sport LB
    During the day if I’m wearing polarized sunglasses I can’t see mine for crap. I have to lift my glasses up and then I can see it fine.
    But you’re right, because of the angle of the face and the crappy backlit it is very hard to see in the daylight with the slightest glare.

Products Discussed in

To Top