1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radio defective in new 2021? Worst noise on calls, buzzing, etc

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by cwilliams, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Nov 20, 2021 at 3:33 AM
    cwilliams

cwilliams [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris Williams
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 2WD 4CYL
    None yet
    Just picked up a new 2021 SR5, and loved the CarPlay with my iPhone 11 until every person is telling me I sound horrible, buzzing, fading in and out, robotic. This is happening no matter where I drive, and stays the same whether I am on Bluetooth or plugged into the head unit. The only change I can see is if I stop and shut off the engine it sounds better as though the ending noise is reaching the head unit.

Loving the truck but this is ruining using my phone in the car since the effects every call. Not sure that a dealer is going to care and will probably just say its my phone. Worked perfectly on my 2010 with an aftermarket car play unit, sounded great.

Any ideas if there is a known issue or what else I could try?

Thank you

Jetblu1976 likes this.
  2. Nov 20, 2021 at 3:52 AM
    Mark77

Mark77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2021 White TRD Off-road
    Nothing yet
    That sucks, while i think the touch screen is a pos, ive never had issues with phone calls.

Maybe have someone else pair their phone with your truck and make sure it's not your phone. Othwr than that, id be taking my new truck back to the dealer. Maybe you just got a defective part.

3. Nov 20, 2021 at 4:21 AM
    philth

philth .

Member:
    Never had an issue with my ‘21. This kinda sounds like a phone issue more than a headunit issue. When plugged in make sure to use proper apple cables or certified MFi cables, not cheap crap.

Make sure your phone is running current updates, and as Mark77 mentioned above, try another phone or few to positively rule out phone issues.

Benny blanco likes this.
  4. Nov 20, 2021 at 4:57 AM
    Gutentight

Gutentight Well-Known Member

Member:
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Off-Road 4x4 DCSB 3.5L AT
    Are others making calls without the background buzz? (heard on the other end of the call, not heard by you in the truck)

I had assumed the background buzz was some standard crappiness of the audio system. Other people can understand me fine, just an annoying buzz in the background. @cwilliams

Consistent background buzz using 2 different model iPhones and an android phone. Since I got the truck in Jan, so across several phone updates.

Directly plugged into USB and Bluetooth are same background noise.

Tried updating MMU firmware to latest release with no improvement.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/updated-3rd-gen-multimedia-updates.696603/#post-24639162

5. Nov 20, 2021 at 5:01 AM
    Will'sSR5

Will'sSR5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Barcelona Red SR5 DCSB
    It’s your iphone and or CarPlay. I experience something similar on my new Alpine head unit with CarPlay on an iPhone 12 with iOS 15.1.1. Do a Google search using some combination of the terms CarPlay buzzing crackling terrible call quality. You’ll see people complaining about versions of your problem across makes going back to 2018. There doesn’t seem to be a real fix yet.

6. Nov 20, 2021 at 5:06 AM
    Gutentight

Gutentight Well-Known Member

Member:
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Off-Road 4x4 DCSB 3.5L AT
    It’s not exactly CarPlay, maybe head unit. It happens on Bluetooth connection, and Android auto. Again all factory, not aftermarket, so is that normal?

Sounds like the key remind buzzer from an older car in the background, but only heard by the other person you call from the truck.

7. Nov 20, 2021 at 5:09 AM
    mhornco

mhornco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Find someone else with same truck or see if dealer has one and try your phone and cable out. That way if you can determine if it is a bad head unit or a phone issue. Truck should be under warranty so let dealer look at it

8. Nov 20, 2021 at 6:08 AM
    cwilliams

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris Williams
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 2WD 4CYL
    None yet
    There's definitely something wrong with the head unit. The phone works fine on its own, works fine on another head unit in a different car. In fact the minute I got this truck every person was like whats wrong with your phone. When you park and shut the engine off 90% of the noise is gone. Exactly the same on BT or CarPlay. I am super disappointed since it makes me look like an ass on every call I make. The cable is an Apple cable but makes little difference since its the same on BT. I am sure the dealer is not going to do much of anything, I guess I will try another phone and see what happens. Amazing that a $200 head unit on my old truck with CarPlay was perfect.

KRUD likes this.
  9. Nov 20, 2021 at 6:09 AM
    cwilliams

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris Williams
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 2WD 4CYL
    None yet
    That is probably what I will have to do, I think the only chance I have is to try to record the other end of the call, otherwise I am going to just sound like the customer saying the wipers make too much noise or something. I am on the phone for work all the time in the truck so I definitely need to sort it out.

10. Nov 20, 2021 at 6:33 AM
    f33dback

f33dback Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma PRE Runner
    None
    Sounds like noise interference generated by the engine, or some shielding in the unit is defective or missing.

tylerdietzenbach likes this.
  11. Nov 20, 2021 at 6:36 AM
    zirktaco

zirktaco Member

Member:
    Knoxville
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD SPORT
    You could look and see if there is an update for the head unit. I know they have released one in the past couple of months. You can check in your head units software settings to see which version it is running. Then you should be able to google what the newest version is and download it to a usb. Maybe this will work for you.

12. Nov 20, 2021 at 2:21 PM
    SauceTaco

SauceTaco Active Member

Member:
    It actually have the same problem, bought the truck in October 2021. People I talked to on the phone say that there is a lot of buzzing and static when I'm connected to the truck. OP Let me know if you found a fix for this!

13. Nov 20, 2021 at 7:49 PM
    TRD2021SPORT

TRD2021SPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Sport AC
    Unless you added some other electronics to the vehicle that could be causing some sort of electrical interference more likely than not its your phone, as suggested by others use a friends phone and see what if its still there.

Have you added anything electrical to the truck? Even something temporarily plugged into the 12v or USB ports?

tylerdietzenbach likes this.
  14. Nov 20, 2021 at 10:59 PM
    andersen24

andersen24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma SR DCSB V6 4X4
    I had the EXACT same issue, and mine was interference from the AT&T Wi-Fi that comes in the truck. Once I turned that off it went away. Hopefully it’s the same thing for you. Needless to say I have never used the WiFi since then!

TRDTaco4WD and Gutentight like this.
  15. Nov 21, 2021 at 4:57 AM
    Nirango kid

Nirango kid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gilles
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Sport Premium in Barcelona Red
    I have not had any issues with the phone in my Taco. It paired easily and it is crystal clear with no noises at all. The only problem I have is connectivity as I live in a area where the services are very remote and signals come in and out but works fine when I come into area with good reception.

16. Nov 22, 2021 at 2:19 PM
    SauceTaco

SauceTaco Active Member

Member:
    I installed an HID kit on my truck. Idk if that affects anything.

17. Nov 22, 2021 at 3:20 PM
    Polaris425

Polaris425 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD
    Occasionally mine freezes up, wont let me switch screens or select anything. Usually unplugging my iPhone and plugging it back up works. I wish CarPlay/screen mirroring was via Bluetooth and didt have to be plugged in.

18. Mar 7, 2022 at 11:08 AM
    mightylothar

mightylothar New Member

Member:
    cwilliams did you ever find a fix for this? I am having the same issue in my 2022. The noise comes and goes in volume, and may almost disappear if I am quiet for long enough. It has me wondering if it is a borked noise cancellation function. I have tried multiple iPhones both plugged in via Carplay and wirelessly using Bluetooth. I traded in a 2018 and didn't have the problem in that truck.

The dealer is stumped so far.

TRDTaco4WD likes this.
  19. Mar 10, 2022 at 8:46 PM
    floppiness

floppiness New Member

Member:
    Also am having this problem (21 sr5). Any fixes yet?

20. Mar 11, 2022 at 10:02 AM
    mightylothar

mightylothar New Member

Member:
    The dealer did a software update on my truck (2022 TRD Sport) but the problem persists. At this point they don't have any ideas on the cause. The fix suggested above from andersen24 isn't an option as I am in Canada and the Canadian version doesn't have wifi hot spots. Some random notes in case it helps:
    - I am using an iPhone 11Pro Max
    - The noise does seem to be variable depend on noise, and whether I am talking. Does this mean it is related to noise cancellation working improperly? I have disabled the speed-adjusted volume but that did not seem to make any difference
    - The issue happens if I am plugged in and using Carplay, and also happens when I am using Bluetooth
    - The issue happened from my very first call which I made right after leaving the dealership
    - The only items I changed on the system before leaving the dealership was to pair my phone, set up Toyota Remote Connect, and tweak the treble/mid/bass
    - I haven't installed any electronic-related mods, no headlight changes, etc

Items I have yet to try:
    - Use a different iPhone
    - Use an Android device
    - See if the dealer will let me pair my phone with another 2022 model and see if the issue happens on another similar vehicle
    - Stand on my head while sacrificing a goat at midnight

Gutentight likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top