1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radio shop no help....

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Robocop, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Dec 13, 2009 at 4:58 AM
    Robocop

Robocop [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Access Cab Gray Manual
    Ok after replacing my factory head unit under warranty I have come to realize that the stereo on my 09 Tacoma is simply junk....even when it is working correctly it is just horrible. I wanted a 6 speed and as such had to settle for one that had the horrible factory sub box on the access cab model. (only one in my area)

Ok I went to a local radio shop that had great reviews and thought they would have what I wanted. I want to remove the crappy factory sub box and would have a hole between the rear jump seats where it was mounted.

My plan sounded simple.....I want a new head unit with component front door speakers and tweeters and use some kind of small powered sub mounted where the crappy factory box was to cover up the mounting holes. I researched all over to find something small enough to fit and it looks like I can use either the Kenwood KSC-SW10 5x7 or maybe the Boss Bass low profile.

I may have them install rear speakers in the rear door panels like the 08s had as I also hate those silly speakers mounted in the head rest. If not two decent components up front should do me much better than the factory crap.

I know it is not much however for me should be just fine with a little bass and midrange and I get to keep my room behind my seats. The installer was amazed when he looked inside my Taco saying he had never seen a factory box like the 09 model has. He asked if I had bought it aftermarket and I had to convince him it was factory.

He said it would not be worth the time to mount a different sub where the factory box was and tried several times to get me to buy a big clunky box fitted to the rear area. I was more shocked to find he had never worked on any of the 09s saying not many try to improve the access cabs???

So what gives....is my idea to use the little Kenwood or even the Boss Bass a joke or would it not work to improve my tunes just a little? I had cash money today and he really did not seem to be interested in working with my idea at all.

Bottom line is I have 3 dogs (big ones) that I often take camping or just to vet visits. I have already removed the rear console to save room and would like to still use the area where that weird x shaped box is to save room but use a better looking and maybe slimmer box.

Would I be better off just removing the factory box and not using a sub but still buying a head unit with decent components? I am willing to go maybe 700 dollars or a little more. This factory radio is honestly the worst I have ever heard and I have to do something.....just very frustrated right now.

Products Discussed in

To Top