1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radio swap 2013 touch screen to 2012 base radio

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Fair Wind, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Aug 25, 2014 at 10:29 AM
    beebrain

beebrain Member

Member:
    Riverside CA
    Vehicle:
    12 Baja, minus garish graphics & loud exhaust
    removed graphics, swapped to stock exhaust, swapped to 2013 touchscreen radio, OEM roof rack, Thule bed rack,Brake controller in coin pocket, backup cam usable all gears,AC outlet in cab
    I just did this: 2013 non-jbl non-Entune touch screen radio to replace knobs-and buttons 2012 stock radio with bluetooth, xm, usb, aux, steering wheel controls
    I used 3 adaptors
    1)28 to 20 pin adaptor from Camelback Toyota PT546-00120-CH $27.07+$8.40 shipping.
    2) Toyota/Lexus antenna adapter from Crutchfield item 12040LX21 $9.99 free ship
    3) 2013 Toyota Tacoma Back Up Display Relocation To Display Audio Radio from ebay seller cellchubs (email cellch_kyib4125pizg@members.ebay.com) $59.95 free shipping listing, but will consider offers.

The radio fits perfectly.

1 and 2 are completely plug and play, and they hook up steering wheel controls, microphone, AM/FM and usb from my truck. The 2013 radio had no xm, so the antenna plug for that just sits loose (I believe I could add an XM module for this radio with parts from Toyota, but I don't care)

3 is not quite plug and play. you have to install a pin in one of the other connectors at the radio end (adequate instructions and all parts included), you need to pull the below steering wheel panel to route it, and you need to slice into one wire near the fusebox (adequate instruction and a splice tap included). Seller is apparently knowledgable, builds a well made adaptor, and helpful if you want modifications.

Everything works fine, except:
    I have not verified the AUX plug (I have nothing to put in it, and never used it with stock radio), but I bet it works.
    No XM (I did not have the subscription anyway)
    USB input from phone. The USB port has power, and charges the phone, but when it is plugged in there, no audio goes through USB, and also not through bluetooth. I will get a plug on ebay that will provide this, though not to the existing usb plug without a major get-at-it-and-mod-it-to-connect it issue. Probably I will just keep it inside, plug a usb to iphone cord to it, and run that somewhere convenient. Then I won't need a phone cord to plug into the trucks USB port.
    "Radio" function in Bluetooth displays my iTunes stations, but does not seem to play them from the head unit touch screen, I have to start them from the phone's screen. Similarly, I can also play Pandora through from the phone, or probably anything the phone plays.
    I did install the USB interface above, and with it, I see more information when in Pandora than I do over Bluetooth.
    There is no voice recognition. With Siri on the iPhone this is not a big deal. I used the voice recognition little, and it seemed really REALLY unsophisticated, I mostly used it on my old radio for the cumbersome process of switching phones, which is now no longer cumbersome.

I like the interface of the touchscreen better, especially swapping between phones, which was a pain on the old radio. Backup view in radio is not as much better as I hoped, and it lacks the guidelines of the mirror display (which is still there, working, though). I plan to tap another camera feed in for view behind trailer at some point, but have not done it.

So I spent about $100 beyond the cost of the new radio to get it all installed, lost XM and USB, gained a second, larger, backup display and better user interface. Install was not so hard, but takes a while, especially the backup connection.

Backup can be wired up so it shows in both mirror and radio (what I did) or just in radio. When in both, the mirror display turns off after 5 minutes, but the radio display does not (potentially important for full time BU camera modders, this was a problem for them in the mirror)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    BIGPOPPA likes this.
  2. Aug 25, 2014 at 1:01 PM
    LizellaFella

LizellaFella Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Reno Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Thanks! That's the info I was looking for
    LF

3. Dec 15, 2014 at 8:15 AM
    OldSkoolArcher

OldSkoolArcher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    '20 SX Access Cab, 6 Cyl, Super White, 4x4
    Subd for future reference.

4. Jan 17, 2015 at 8:23 AM
    mtcarrio

mtcarrio Active Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport
    Skid plate, debadged
    Has anyone heard of problems installing a 2015 HU into a 2007 Tacoma?

5. Feb 13, 2015 at 8:55 PM
    frizbal

frizbal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road
    Your comment kind of confused me. You said music doesn't play through Bluetooth, but then you say "radio" does? Could you elaborate. Let's say: if I have Spotify pulled up on my phone and I press play, well it worth over Bluetooth? Also, when you say voice recognition, are you meaning only the phone voice, or do you also mean the menu voice recognition like the stock 2012 HU ?

6. Feb 14, 2015 at 6:04 AM
    bellot8670

bellot8670 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Mt Sterling KY
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 double cab 4x4
    I did this swap on my 2012 and Bluetooth works. I turn Bluetooth on my phone and play my spotify and music. I can plug into the stock USB port and it charges my phone however, it doesn't let you play music through USB port with Bluetooth off. It's more less just there to charge now, not audio

7. Feb 14, 2015 at 8:30 AM
    beebrain

beebrain Member

Member:
    Riverside CA
    Vehicle:
    12 Baja, minus garish graphics & loud exhaust
    removed graphics, swapped to stock exhaust, swapped to 2013 touchscreen radio, OEM roof rack, Thule bed rack,Brake controller in coin pocket, backup cam usable all gears,AC outlet in cab
    Frizbal. What I meant was not that the music cannot play, but that one cannot activate it to do so from the Tacoma touchscreen, though it does display there. It can be activated from the iPhone touchscreen. So far, anything I can play on my iPhone will go through the bluetooth and play on the truck speakers. It would be nice if one could control the iPhone through the head unit of the truck, and one can in many ways for tunes stored in the phone, but not with Pandora (or Spotify).
    What I meant by voice recognition, is that there was a voice recognition in my 2012 radio. It was pretty awful in terms of user friendliness. Now, with the 2007, it is gone. When I push the steering wheel voice button it just tells me there is no voice recognition function. When I press and hold the iPhone button, Siri comes over the speakers, and listens to me through the truck's mic, and does what I ask her, with a much better interface than the 2006 had, but is not controlled by the truck button with that purpose.
    With regard to the USB port, it can charge the phone, but when the iPhone is plugged into the phone tries to play through the USB connection (which does not connect), and so it does not play through Bluetooth, as it does when not plugged into the truck's USB. Maybe there is a setting I just don't know that would make it do it. I installed a different USB connection (see my post), and attached it permanently to a iPhone adaptor which I fed out and plug into. With this other USB, the phone does play through it (and not through bluetooth), and does charge. It would be possible to route this new USB through the stock USB plug, but it would involve either modifying the housing, or cutting the cables and resoldering them. together. Since I would still need a USB to iPhone cable, that did not seem worth the trouble.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  8. Feb 14, 2015 at 1:07 PM
    frizbal

frizbal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road
    Ahhh. Perfect. Thanks for the further explanation. So it sounds like it does nearly everything that I use in my current stock stereo. I'm looking to replace it because it started to go on the fritz. I like the idea of keeping it stock, but wanted the touch screen. Thanks again.

9. Feb 17, 2015 at 4:12 PM
    bellot8670

bellot8670 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Mt Sterling KY
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 double cab 4x4
    i ran into this issue when plugging my phone into the usb to charge. It would pause what i was bluetoothing to the head unit. If you tap the play button on the touchscreen of the head unit, it continues to play over bluetooth while still plugged into the USB charging

10. Oct 26, 2015 at 8:02 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW ONT, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SX
    Can you help me with the part # 546-74120? Is this the complete part number? I can't find it anywhere.

11. Oct 27, 2015 at 4:12 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Member:
    NW ONT, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SX
    Ok so is this the mic that is needed?

aa135ca0.jpg

12. Oct 27, 2015 at 4:15 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    There are 2 different radios in the 12s. I have the old non-touch screen one and this method does not work with a non-jbl w/nav HU. The radio will turn on but nothing works.

13. Oct 27, 2015 at 9:22 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Member:
    NW ONT, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SX
    Kind of need more info. This doesn't help me on the mic mentioned. The OP has successfully installed a 13 touch screen in his 12.

14. Oct 28, 2015 at 3:46 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    trial and error I guess? buy all the harnesses you can get and see if one works. I've done that and none of them work for me.

15. Oct 28, 2015 at 4:16 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Member:
    NW ONT, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SX
    That's really not an option I want to pursue. It could get quite expensive. The above mentioned mic runs $60. You also end up with a head unit you can't use.

What radio do you have in your truck and what do the connectors look like?

Mine look like

Attached Files:

16. Oct 31, 2015 at 5:32 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Member:
    NW ONT, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SX
    If some could answer this that would be great. Is this the blue tooth mic required?

17. Nov 1, 2015 at 7:43 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Member:
    NW ONT, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SX
    Bumped for mic info.

18. Nov 4, 2015 at 4:17 PM
    Canadian taco07

Canadian taco07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ontario
    Level kit, exhaust, cold air intake, fj rims
  19. Nov 4, 2015 at 8:20 PM
    Canadian taco07

Canadian taco07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ontario
    Level kit, exhaust, cold air intake, fj rims
    Now if you could find these at a decent Canadian price I would buy one too!

20. Nov 4, 2015 at 8:25 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Member:
    NW ONT, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SX
    I checked with the dealership I work at and they were around $63. I remember seeing them somewhere states side for $50. So if I need it I'll buy it from work when factoring in the dollar.

Products Discussed in

To Top