1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radio swap 2013 touch screen to 2012 base radio

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Fair Wind, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Nov 18, 2013 at 2:57 PM
    Fair Wind

Fair Wind [OP] Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5
    If you want a Toyota touch screen this swap works. If I can do this you can. The radio comes out easily- heating/AC panel prys loose from its bottom(plastic panel tool or similar to pry with ). 4 10mm bolts behind the heat A/C panel hold the radio in. Toyota parts 546-00120 (28 pin to 20 pin two connect plugs to one), part 546-74120 (blue tooth mic, from Toyota scion), antenna adapter from Crutchfield(round connect to a rectangular plug) There is only one way these fit-simple. The Hazard/clock comes out slooowly by sticking 6 thin kitchen knives in to release the 6 tabs, painfully slow. The hazard/clock fits into its new frame with 4 screws(be sure you are getting this frame and the 4 small screws). With this touch screen you have to hold your touch longer than a phone.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. Nov 18, 2013 at 3:03 PM
    88Noriega

88Noriega Member

Member:
    First Name:
    The Real Noriega
    San Diego
    CST spindle Lift, 5100's shocks all around, AFE cold air intake.
    any pictures?

3. Nov 18, 2013 at 6:39 PM
    Fair Wind

Fair Wind [OP] Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5
    Others have posted pics on this swap. This swap is only for the 2012. I believe the 2011 is different from what others have said.

4. Nov 19, 2013 at 2:14 PM
    Mrs Fair Wind

Mrs Fair Wind New Member

Member:
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    SR5 PreRunner
    Audio upgrade
    You used my kitchen knives to swap out your radio ??!! :smack:

FDOTCO likes this.
  5. Nov 21, 2013 at 5:00 PM
    yogster

yogster merkwürdigliebe

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCLB SR5
    DCLB Black 4WD Illumination dial from 4runner, Flyzeyes LED. Hardwire GPS and Valentine1 with BlendMount mirror mount, TRD shift knob, tube steps, swapped out for signal lamp mirrors. Garmin Eco-Route HD for Bluetooth ODBII Diagnostics, 2014 Entune Plus w Navigation, Leer 100XL dome light wired to dome circuit, pop&lock tailgate and cap locks.
    And here is a shameless plug for my radio....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...2271-fs-massachusetts-2013-display-audio.html

As the OP states this is a simple upgrade for 2012's - you need the above adapters and it is plug-n-play....

The 28 Pin R15 connector on the 2013 feeds the steering wheel controls, mic, aux, and an ignition on lead. There is also a speed sensor input, which disables some functionality (like choosing/entering contacts from phone contact list, etc).

The adapter takes these inputs from a 2012 20-pin plus the mic input and feeds them to the a 28-pin adapter.

I've downloaded the pin outs, colors, for all the connections on the back o of the 2013, and what they are for from TIS

You can also play Pandora through this radio - but not like an "app" on the entune radios. Album art will display and you can advance tracks.

Contrary to what others have posted, this radio IS sat ready. My post above has a link to the install instructions and part number. The sat tuner plugs into the 8 port connector on the radio.

Finally, you can relocate your backup camera to display on this radio with a fairly simple mod.

Ironium likes this.
  6. Dec 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM
    rican taco

rican taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    XSP-X
    AS MANY AS THE WIFE WILL LET ME DO.
    Yep 13 does not support voice activation and no XM (Sirius) on the 13. Also having problems with the USB, but the input jack works fine????? Everything else works great. Can someone tell me how to change the start screen or to down load pics.

7. Dec 21, 2013 at 12:36 AM
    sr5vic

sr5vic Buy & Hodl

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    '13 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    295/70/17 Geolander G003 M/T's, 17" Work S1HC's, 1" Bora Wheel Spacers, King 2.5 EXT Coilovers, King 2.5 Tundra Rears, Total Chaos UCA's, Total Chaos LCA's, BruteForce Fab Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, OME Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs w/ D29XL AAL, 'OCTACO' Custom SS Brake Lines, Extended R.Diff Breather, RDI Aluminum Skid Plates, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Yellow Fog Lights, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Clear Front Spot Lights & Rear Work Lights TRD PRO Grill, TRD PRO Headlights, US Offroad Winch Mount, SmittyBilt X2O 10k Winch, RotoPax 2Gal. Fuel & Water Canisters , VIAIR Constant Duty OBA System, Custom Bussmann RTMR Panel, Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners, StopTech Slotted Rotors, TRD Brake Pads, Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery System w/ Blue Sea 7622 ML-ACR 500 Relay, Dometic CFX40 w/ slide
    you cant unfortunately.

8. Dec 21, 2013 at 5:16 PM
    yellowrubiu

yellowrubiu Well-Known Member

Member:
    Empire State
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4x4 SR5
    You'll need this USB cable from eBay to make the USB connection work properly. Then follow these instructions to get it hooked up. I didn't bother with the input jack modification on those instructions, between the USB port and Bluetooth I don't think I'll ever need it. Also, that USB cable comes from China so it will take a while to get here. Mine took about two and half weeks.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Dec 22, 2013 at 5:02 AM
    yogster

yogster merkwürdigliebe

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCLB SR5
    DCLB Black 4WD Illumination dial from 4runner, Flyzeyes LED. Hardwire GPS and Valentine1 with BlendMount mirror mount, TRD shift knob, tube steps, swapped out for signal lamp mirrors. Garmin Eco-Route HD for Bluetooth ODBII Diagnostics, 2014 Entune Plus w Navigation, Leer 100XL dome light wired to dome circuit, pop&lock tailgate and cap locks.
    You can add Sirius/XM to that radio. It has the correct plug on the back

You have two options:

Option 1

a. OEM tuner 861800W032
    b. OEM Fit kit - not sure on Tacoma part number and dealer won't be any help. The fit kit from a Corolla or Camry or Toyota with a similar radio (similar, in that functionality is similar, faceplate/front design may be different) should work but cables will be longer.
    c. An OEM antenna. You can use one from 2011 (color matched bump antenna). You cannot use an aftermarket antenna, as the cable won't match. You'll need to drill a hole for this antenna and have access beneath the head liner. ALWAYS use a step drill bit when drilling holes through sheet metal. Makes a nice clean hole of the correct diameter every time.

One of the "big square" audio options will now be SAT

This will set you back over $350-$400

Option 2

1. http://toyotaofmcdonoughparts.net/p...a-and-scion-xm-satellite-radio-tuner-kit-2013

2. This will also plug right in and give you the SAT feature. There's a PDF on this site with install instructions

3. come with a small magnetic mount antenna and instructions show you where to mount.

$269

10. Feb 26, 2014 at 10:58 AM
    mtcarrio

mtcarrio Active Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport
    Skid plate, debadged
    Does anyone know of a thread that allows for a 2013 or 2014 swap into a 2007?

11. Mar 3, 2014 at 3:55 PM
    tony2018

tony2018 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Totally owned.........:rolleyes:

12. Apr 18, 2014 at 6:29 PM
    toniodiaz

toniodiaz Crazy and lovely member

Member:
    First Name:
    Maruko
    Southmerica
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 TRD Sport Silver Double Cab and now 2013 SR5 TRD Sport Red Double Cab
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Catback, aFe Cold air intake system, HELLA Rallye 4000 Celis lamps, Spyder Smoke CCFL Halo projector Headlights, JBA Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers, Centric Cross Drilled Front Brake Rotors, URD smaller diameter S/C pulley, Roof Rack, Recon Tail light bar, 3" OME Leaf pack at the rear with 5100 Bilsteins and Regulable 2.75" Toytec Red Springs with 5100 Bilsteins in the front, Total Chaos UCA, Front TRD Skid Plate, Black Tube Step Bar, Black Emblems and TRD Sport Stripes decal, I JUST FINISHED MY MOD TO THE PARKING, DTR AND TURNING LIGHTS, When you hit the turning switch, DTR ad Parking lights turn of on the side the Turn signals are flashing, so they don't disturb their intensity. Everything installed with my own little hands and help of my dear friend and of course, your mods.
    What did you do with the blue wire at the antenna connector?

13. Apr 30, 2014 at 9:05 AM
    Toycoma06

Toycoma06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richmond Va.
    Vehicle:
    2016 tacoma 4x4 dbl. cab
    20% window tint, emblems removed, aftermarket grill, TRD Pro shift knob,4'' RC lift with BDS 2.0 fox rear shocks, 285x65r18 Nitto Ridge Grappler, 18x9 Monster Energy 540B 0mm offset, ...and more to come
    My dad has a 2012 sport w/ the non touch screen radio... He purchased a 2012 factory touch screen radio.. will he still need Antenna adaptor and 28 pin to 20 plug to make this radio work in his truck?

14. May 13, 2014 at 6:00 PM
    chunt5

chunt5 Senior Citizen Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chuck
    Cumming, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB, Prerunner, SR5, 4.0
    Installed a 2013 taco radio in my 2012 taco. Everything works great. I followed the instructions on modifying a male connector on 2 different cables per instructions on the link above but I was unable to get the USB to work with the USB port. I finally disassembled the USB port and removed the USB connector (it pulls out the front after a couple of pins are pushed down)and installed a male to female USB cable through the port (cut and re-spliced the cable). I was able to install the cable female USB connector into the port and it looks and works perfectly. Thanks everyone for all of the helpful posts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2014
    Silverspool likes this.
  15. Jun 22, 2014 at 7:03 PM
    Greedo

Greedo Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rex
    Vehicle:
    2016 D-Cab TRD Off-Road Magnetic Gray Metallic
    Toyotec Boss 2" lift & level, UWS black chest/toolbox, Xeon Led interior lighting, Toyota bed mat, Gentex Homelink Mirror, predator step bars, black TACOMA tailgate lettering.
    Sorry to drag this thread out again, but I'm a new member so I'll use my noob pass. I've got a 2012 stock and thinking of getting either a 2014 or maybe 2013 oem touch screen. I would like to know where to get this adapter and if this and the antenna adapter are the only 2 things you need for the steering wheel controls, overhead mic, Bluetooth, and USB to work (not concerned with the xm). Also would like to know if it's the exact same for the 2013 and 2014 radios. Thanks.

image.jpg

16. Jun 23, 2014 at 4:13 PM
    chunt5

chunt5 Senior Citizen Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chuck
    Cumming, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB, Prerunner, SR5, 4.0
    I purchased the adapter from an online Toyota dealer. I also purchased a USB connector from ebay which is referenced on this thread. I did not purchase one but for Bluetooth you will need a Mic also from a Toyota dealer. I do not have steering wheel controls so I can not help with that. I put a 2013 radio in my 2012 so I don't know for sure that the 2014 radio will work but I believe that it will. All of the info and part numbers that you need are on this thread.

For USB I recommend that you get a USB extender cable and run it out under the dash. The one on ebay is not long enough by itself but you need that one for the radio connector.

17. Jun 24, 2014 at 9:41 AM
    Greedo

Greedo Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rex
    Vehicle:
    2016 D-Cab TRD Off-Road Magnetic Gray Metallic
    Toyotec Boss 2" lift & level, UWS black chest/toolbox, Xeon Led interior lighting, Toyota bed mat, Gentex Homelink Mirror, predator step bars, black TACOMA tailgate lettering.
    Does anyone know specifically where I can get the 28pin to 20 pin as previously pictured? I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere. Also would like to know again if my steering wheel controls/overhead mic and Bluetooth in my 2012 doublecab will work with just the 28pin converter and attena harness. Thanks.

18. Jun 24, 2014 at 4:35 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica TRD Sport
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
    I found both PT546-00120 CH & PT546-00120 AD on Amazon.

19. Aug 13, 2014 at 3:39 PM
    allwhiteyota90

allwhiteyota90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Thibodaux, La
    Tacoma tow mirrors Borla exhaust Nav swap Colormatch grille
    Anyone know where I can purchase a satellite antenna, and I need to know if I can go from non jbl to jbl without the amp and sub

20. Aug 23, 2014 at 7:41 AM
    LizellaFella

LizellaFella Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Reno Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Bumping this back up top with more questions.. I am doing this swap into my 2012 DCSB TRD OR. Presently I have the single disc player with blue tooth and satellite radio. USB aux ports underneath the climate control panel, and steering wheel controls.

I assume I will still need the 28 to 20 pin connector and the antennae connector, but since I already have blue tooth, will I still need the mic?

Also, the radio I bought from another TW member is flat panel touch screen from a 2013, but no Entune or JBL. Being that's the case, what mods would I need to make to get the back up camera display sent to the head unit rather than the rear view mirror.

Thx, LF

Products Discussed in

To Top