1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rain Protection with Back Hatch Open

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Taco*Sauce06, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Jul 20, 2021 at 8:26 PM
    Taco*Sauce06

Taco*Sauce06 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    `06 Tacoma 6-speed Manual Access Cab - White
    Nothing major. -3rd Gen OR suspension swap. -Trailer light plug relocation.
    I have an ARE MX shell on my '06 and if I have the back hatch open in the rain it drains directly into the bed and on my sleeping platform. What is everyone doing to mitigate this, if anything?

2. Dec 16, 2021 at 5:02 PM
    suomiM31

suomiM31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think this is a problem with all caps . My "solution" is just be quick about it:pSeriously, I would love a solution. Maybe a small tarp over the gap, but then you have wet tarp to deal with. Following with interest.

3. Dec 16, 2021 at 8:17 PM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    Yep, if you can't set up a tarp be quick. I glued a piece of rubber along the hinge on my old Tacoma but that just directed it to the side; of course the top of the window is narrower than the bottom so you still get water running to either side and in- plus it looked kind of ghetto.

If I'm camping, I have an awning that attaches to my rear Yakima bar and has two poles; I've also got an ENO tarp that I use in a similar fashion sometimes.

4. Dec 21, 2021 at 10:45 AM
    Mtn Mike

Mtn Mike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR AC
    My Snugtop has sort of a rain gutter built into the fiberglass window frame. It works well. I'm not sure what the window frame of your ARE looks like. If there's room, put a piece of self adhesive weather stripping around the edge of the fiberglass to create kind of a drip edge/rain gutter.

5. Dec 21, 2021 at 1:13 PM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    The bigger problem is the water runs down the window when it's open and runs into the hinge where it goes through and drips into the bed. I've thought about buying some of the adhesive vinyl drip rail and sticking it just below the hinge, positioned upside down so that it captured water running down the window when it was open, and directing it off the sides. They make gutters for the ends but I'm not sure how they're work or if they'd last in that application.

Example (just the first one that popped up on Amazon, there are other manufactures and sellers): https://smile.amazon.com/RecPro-Plastic-Adhesive-Included-Flexible/dp/B09DQ983DD?crid=BCI31YBTZ8W1&keywords=rv+drip+rail+vinyl+molding&qid=1640121011&sprefix=RV+drip+ra%2Caps%2C84&sr=8-6&th=1

6. Jan 7, 2022 at 1:09 PM
    Mods2Travel

Mods2Travel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Level 8 MK6, 16x8, 6x5.5, +0 Offset Rims 285/75/16 (33") BFG KO2 tires 4.56 Gears from ECGS DIY bed/drawer slideout Bed Mounted Deep Cycle Battery/Fuse Box/Inverter/Isolator Yellow Wire Mod Rear Diff Breather Mod DIY Roof Rack Leer 180 Shell Bilstein 6112, Circlip #4 Bilstein B8 5160 Remote Reservoir Firestone Ride Rite 2407 Rear Suspension Airbags DayStar Cradles Camper Shell Radiator Fans for sleeping in warmer climates
    Fast1 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top