1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rant: Over-Torqued Lug Nuts

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Okkine, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Mar 28, 2010 at 2:41 PM
    Okkine

Okkine [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    So, back at the beginning of winter I took my truck to my Toyota dealership to have my winter tires mounted on a new set of rims and installed on the truck. After waiting for over an hour for the work to be done, I finally pay and am on my way out the door. I get to the truck and discover that instead of mounting the winters on the new rims, they removed my summer tires from the current rims, and then mounted the winter tires onto the same rims. Now I'm obviously a little pissed at this point, but I've done my share of work in customer service, so I understand that things happen some times. Nearly an hour later, I'm out the door. I get home and then discover that although they did mount the summer tires for me, they installed them on the WRONG RIMS... which means I now have to put up the TPMS light flashing for 8 months of summer, instead of just four months of winter. At this point I really wasn't up for driving 40 minutes across town again, so I let it slide.

Fast forward to today:

I finally decided to haul my summer tires out of the basement, and the first thing I noticed when I took them out of the bag is that they neglected to mark which corner each tire came from, even though I explicitly asked them to on the work order, so I now have no idea what the proper rotation should be. Annoyed, I jack up the truck and soon discover that they over-torqued the lug nuts so much that even with my entire body weight, the things won't budge. I've changed plenty of tires in my 16 years behind the wheel, but never have I seen one that I couldn't get off. Needless to say that if I had to change a flat on the highway, I'd be absolutely screwed.

Anyway, that's my rant for the day. I'm just pissed right now. The service manager is going to get an ear full tomorrow. I mean, The whole reason I bought a second set of rims is so that I don't have to pay the dealer twice a year to swap them out.

2. Mar 28, 2010 at 2:52 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Buy a breaker bar? It's the 3rd thing I bought for my truck so I don't have to use a regular socket wrench or that shitty lug bar that comes with the truck. Now I can take those puppies off one handed. :D

PS - That sucks, sorry to hear that BTW.

3. Mar 28, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    The electric impact wrench I have is rated at 145 ft lbs. Do you think the guys at the stealership are going to use a TORQUE WRENCH!?:D

4. Mar 28, 2010 at 3:00 PM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    What we've got here....is a failure......to communicate.

[​IMG]

Hope it all works out for you...:)

5. Mar 28, 2010 at 3:52 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I just had a leak fixed and tire rotation at EDT. Dave the Mgr is on TW. He showed me how it's done correctly. You start the lug nuts by hand, then the air gun, but not tight, then a long torque socket that looks kinda like a bowling pin. This socket limits the torque. Then the hand torque wrench with the clicker. Every step is done in a star or cross pattern. If the dealer or independent is taking short cuts it's not good for your baby.

6. Mar 28, 2010 at 3:56 PM
    AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i have 3 cracked lugs... i figure from over torquing them at the dealership

7. Mar 28, 2010 at 4:03 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    they probably used an impact to put them on so that is probably why they are so tight.

8. Mar 28, 2010 at 4:12 PM
    Mr_Torque

Mr_Torque Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....

Member:
    Perkasie,PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma SR5 4WD V-6 6 Spd
    MBRP Exhaust, 17" FJ Steelies w/Firestone AT's, Truxedo Lopro ,Timbren SES, Pioneer FH-X720BT HU & TS-C720PRS Component Speakers, TRD Quickshifter, Bilstein 6112/5160, Light Racing UCA, and Icon Progressive add a leaf.
    And those over torquing idiots get paid to fuck stuff up!

9. Mar 28, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    My vehicles don't go to dealership service departments unless they absolutely HAVE to (warranty/recall repairs) due to just such crap as this. Good luck... I hope they straighten it out for you.

10. Mar 28, 2010 at 7:44 PM
    86ceeten

86ceeten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    NW Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road PreRunner
    Limo tint, 18x10 Diamo Karat, Toyo 285-60's, Rear TSB, 5100's all around, front at 2.5", Debadged, Sound System (evolving)
    There must be something about the whole wheel/tire thing that is just hard for the techs to understand. I mean I have had more wheels scratched, directional tires put on backwards, lugs over torqued, etc. than I care to remember. It's about got to the point where when I wear out a set of tires, I will just buy a new wheel/tire package from Discount Tire Direct shipped to the house. I even rotate my own tires at every oil change so those yo-yo's don't beat the powder coat off with the impact socket. Really, it's not that hard if they would just give a damn. Just the other day, the kid at the tire store took one of my brand new wheels out of the box and dropped it on the concrete! (not very hard but still...) If they need a balance I take them to this little alignment shop that does on the vehicle balancing.
    Brian

11. Mar 28, 2010 at 8:07 PM
    86ceeten

86ceeten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    NW Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road PreRunner
    Limo tint, 18x10 Diamo Karat, Toyo 285-60's, Rear TSB, 5100's all around, front at 2.5", Debadged, Sound System (evolving)
    Apparently they think so. lol. Must use a 3/4 inch drive impact.

12. Mar 28, 2010 at 8:11 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Hacks, they are all hacks.:mad:

13. Mar 28, 2010 at 8:33 PM
    TJ Asher

TJ Asher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Minneapolis
    Vehicle:
    '10 Virgin
    I feel your pain.

A couple months ago in the dead of winter I get a phone call from my wife. It's 9:00pm and she has a flat tire. She's pretty self-sufficient and she says she can't get the tire off.

I grab my trusty 4 end cross lug wrench and head out. Lots of good torque with that baby compared to the stupid angled ones that come with vehicles.

I get to her and go to spin the lugs off and they won't budge. Nothing. I'm not a weak little guy so I give it all I have. I twist the steel and snap off the end right by the end.

So, no choice but to use the stupid angle lug wrench. I end up jumping up and down on the damn thing. Either I'm going to round off that lug or it's coming off. It eventually gave way. 1 down, 3 to go. They were all equally as stubborn.
    I got the tire changed and we were on our way. Only took an hour in the cold winter night!

A buddy of mine used to work in a tire shop. He said guys would have their impact guns set way too high all the time.

14. Mar 28, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    Rhino8541

Rhino8541 I like ze best!

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS DCSB OR
    I try to do all my own work, but for anything that needs to be taken somewhere, and wheels have to be removed, lugs come back tightened to a million foot pounds. I always check torque after taking my truck somewhere, and usually end up using the breaker bar to loosen the lugs, to re-torque them the right way. I can't stand it!

OG_Tacoma likes this.
  15. Mar 29, 2010 at 7:49 AM
    novakills

novakills Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tampa FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD Sport
    TRD CAI, debadged, TRD exhaust, bed d-ring mod, rubber bed mat, 6000K Bi-xenon headlights, 3000K HID foglights, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT PLUS Hood Struts, 2" Toytec AAL w/Bilstein 5100s, 1" aluminum tapered leaf spring spacer, Eibach 1.6" lift coils on Bilstein 5100s set at .85 with Light Racing UCAs, 10% tinted windows, 285/70/17 Toyo Open Country A/T, Pioneer MVH-X560BT,TRD Supercharger, Grillcraft Black MX upper and lower grill, RAAMmat Sound Deadening, Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine Series I61-2 in rear doors, Hybrid Audio Technolgies Legatia L6 and L1V2 in front doors running through Hybrid Audio Legatia L2X crossovers, JL Audio 13TW5 in a bedlined Mr. Marv enclosure, Zed Audio Leviathan Amp on a bedlined Mr. Marv amp rack, DTLT Exhaust Headers w/O2 simulators, full LED lighting interior and exterior, OEM roof racks
    I have always put a little anti-seize on my lugs. I like to think it helps me loosen them when the tireshop monkeys overtighten them.

16. Mar 29, 2010 at 7:57 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    This is why I love Discount Tire company. They always torque them with a torque wrench after lightly tightening with the impact gun. I got a set of tires put on at Tires Plus once and they torque'd them on so tight my impact gun wouldn't loosen them. I had to put my jack handle on the end of my 16" breaker bar to break them loose.

Another reason why I do all of the work on my vehicles. Other than tire balancing, alignments, and AC work I do everything my self. When you have a vested interest in something you tend to take better care of it.

17. Mar 29, 2010 at 8:03 AM
    ak47

ak47 v.hey its my Avatar avatar.v

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    stock 2nd owner
    it really must be a dealer thing. when i bought my truck in august i had the dealer put on my rims. last week after i changed my oil i decided to rotate my tires. so i grabbed my little pouch with the lug wrench in it and it wont even fit on the lug nuts. okay i was a little irritated then but no biggie i grab a socket and ratchet and it fits but there is no way in hell that im getting them off. i eventually got them off using a 3 ft peice of pipe as a cheater bar (still hard).
    i consider myself a pretty handy guy but what really pisses me off is the fact that if i would have gotten a flat i would have been fucked!

18. Mar 29, 2010 at 8:07 AM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    Happens all the time at every tire shop. they are too lazy or in too big a hurry to torque the lugs. they hit them with a 3/4 impact and cause so many problems.

19. Mar 29, 2010 at 8:09 AM
    ak47

ak47 v.hey its my Avatar avatar.v

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    stock 2nd owner
    well its fixed now i ended up stripping a couple of them. forty bucks later and all new shiny lug nuts. YAY

20. Mar 29, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    http://www.ez-sensor.com/

This may be an answer to the two sets of tires crowd. You could get sensors for your second set of wheels and program them to match the numbers of the set already programmed to the vehicle. (as I understand it) That way, not matter which set of tires you have on the truck, the TPMS system will be happy thinking all the children are home and behaving. No flashy blinky lights.

Products Discussed in

To Top