1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RATS!!! Please help with identifying these harnesses!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ratsatemytaco, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Jul 4, 2020 at 7:59 AM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Also worth mentioning, Harbor Freight has really good heat shrink tubing. It’s the stuff that shrinks 3 to 1 and has the glue inside to seal the connections from water. It comes in a nice assortment box with all the sizes you need. The pieces are about 3” long. I usually cut each piece in thirds. That works out just right for most solder connections. The only other place I’ve been able to find that kind of heat shrink is Grainger, and they closed up shop and left town.

12TRDTacoma likes this.
  2. Jul 4, 2020 at 8:19 AM
    maxtherat

maxtherat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Athol, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2001 Dodge Ram 2500
    All the usual diesel truck mods- fuel system upgrade, programmer, CAI, intake manifold, j hooked waste gate
    As other have said pretty easy fix if you can solder or have a friend who can. Make sure you remember to slide heat shrink on the wire before connecting it.
    Also, just to be on the safe side, disconnect your battery before making any electrical repairs!!! It just takes mA to destroy the vehicles computer. This can happen by inadvertently touching the wrong wires even during the preparation process.
    A couple of years ago I had rats that started to eat my dodge but they stayed away from the wires but were eating hood and firewall insulation to make a nest. Set a snap trap under the hood and ended up getting 3 of them.

Muddinfun likes this.
  3. Jul 4, 2020 at 8:20 AM
    Muddinfun

Member:
    That’s fine if all you own is 1 vehicle. I own multiple vehicles, a home, and a business and have life insurance. I pay my insurance agent a LOT of money every month. I raised my deductibles way up there to save money on premiums. I save the insurance for the big oopsies. The last time I needed to use my comprehensive insurance was when I was 16 and The last time I used my home owners insurance was when I was 21. Someone broke into my house and stole a bunch of stuff. I used the insurance money to buy a hot tub and had some outrageous parties.

On another note, many years ago, I did a comparison on health insurance premiums. With health insurance, the deductible is per year. It worked out that the increase in premium per year between $500 deductible and $1000 deductible was more than $500. So, if you paid for $500 deductible and spent $1000 out of pocket every single year, you’re still saving money.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  4. Jul 4, 2020 at 8:42 AM
    pablotaco

pablotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner
    Auto and health insurance are not not comparable, nor is every situation the same. Only trying to say that fixing wiring problems caused by rats might be a big headache if you are not inclined to do electrical repairs. You could f-up pretty easily and fry some sh!t. Plus they have all tools and diagnostic computers to check that all is good.

5. Jul 4, 2020 at 8:52 AM
    4x4spiegel

4x4spiegel Well-Known Member

Member:
  6. Jul 4, 2020 at 9:38 AM
    JL8Jeff

JL8Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ewing, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma reg cab
    OME 885/nitros, SPC UCA, 305/65/17, AAL
    The factory main wiring harness is insanely expensive, I was just looking at them the other day. But you should be able to reuse those connectors if you pull the wires out and trim them back and re-pin them. You might need some new tools for working on the pins in the connectors. I don't think there are replacement harnesses for individual sections but they probably have repair pigtails that you would need to splice in to the existing wiring.

7. Jul 4, 2020 at 11:45 AM
    Larzzzz

Larzzzz Grande' Ricardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '06 dclb 350+ kmiles
    Aux back up lights, Bed lights, Re-located trailer plug, Good dooby, a.k.a. jumper cable mod, Heated seats, back up camera,
    Does it matter where it goes?

Get the number off of the connector body(ies), and if the dealer has the repair wires in stock, there's not even an hour's time from those pics. Most of that time will be spent pulling the connectors apart.

Since you don't solder, I'd suggest crimp splices with shrink tubing or regular butt slices with a shot of dielectric grease inside it. The grease will be displaced by the crimp and it'll keep the elements out of the splice.

Edit: found the connector catalog I mentioned earlier.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/toyota-connector-terminal-catalog.574600/

henryp likes this.
  8. Jul 4, 2020 at 11:57 AM
    Muddinfun

Member:
    Soldering is not that difficult. Pull the trigger on the soldering gun, wait a few seconds, melt a small dab of solder on the tip, touch it to the clean twisted wires for a few seconds, and touch the solder to the wires til it melts and flows. Remove the gun, wait for it to cool, slide the heat shrink over and heat with a lighter or heat gun. The biggest problem people have is trying to use a low wattage soldering pencil for soldering wires, and not getting the wires hot enough, quickly enough.

12TRDTacoma likes this.
  9. Jul 4, 2020 at 11:59 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    I have not often seen a dealer do wiring repairs they will quote the complete harness .

I carry Comp on my 4 vehicles with zero deductible it might not work for everyone.

10. Jul 4, 2020 at 11:59 AM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
  11. Jul 4, 2020 at 12:02 PM
    CurtB

CurtB Old Timer knowitall

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5
    It really isn't hard at all. I still have and use my 1st gun, it's a gun coz it looks like a revolver. I have a pencil iron for itty bitty stuff.

12. Jul 4, 2020 at 12:10 PM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road

12TRDTacoma likes this.
  13. Jul 4, 2020 at 12:18 PM
    Larzzzz

Larzzzz Grande' Ricardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '06 dclb 350+ kmiles
    Aux back up lights, Bed lights, Re-located trailer plug, Good dooby, a.k.a. jumper cable mod, Heated seats, back up camera,
    Agreed. However, I've seen way to many wires over heated with the insulation melting off to recommend that style of soldering iron. You don't need 60 watts to solder 16 gauge wires.

Tin stranded wires before making the splice. A properly tinned wire will still show the strands and will not have the solder traveling up the conductor under the insulation. Apply heat at the end of the wire and solder from the insulation. The solder will flow to the heat.

Tinning first also heats the wires up quicker. And like Brylcreem, "just a dab will do ya," to make the splice. The splice doesn't need to be buried in solder.

Wiping the tip clean on a wet towel, sponge... Will improve heat transfer as well a save the tip from pitting due to the flux which is acidic. Remove as much flux as you can after soldering as well.

I'm done. The soap box broke. Lol

vssman, maxtherat and 12TRDTacoma like this.
  14. Jul 4, 2020 at 12:27 PM
    Daves300

Daves300 TTC#0333

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  15. Jul 4, 2020 at 12:30 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    Great pro tips in here. Hopefully this helps you out OP.

Soldering is a very fun and rewarding thing when done cleanly, correctly, and accurately.

16. Jul 5, 2020 at 3:50 AM
    ratsatemytaco

ratsatemytaco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Wow, you guys are all fantastic, thank you very much fro all the incredible advice and support!!!

Muddinfun likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top