1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rattling type noise (Diesel sound)?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Terrier, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Jan 2, 2010 at 11:39 AM
    Terrier

Terrier [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 Access Cab 4x4 2.7
    I hate to quote myself; however, rather than re-type my previous response, I am still in agreement with the tech's opinion as to the noise he and I heard and that I continue to hear.

2. Jan 3, 2010 at 11:37 AM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    Sorry, but I'm not buying the classic dealership service department cop-out "They all do that" in this case... because apparently they don't.

It's NOT the throw out bearing. If the throw out bearing was wobbling around on the pilot shaft, the noise would go away as soon as you put ANY pressure on the clutch pedal. On mine, the noise continues until you push the clutch all the way in - and when you do that, the noise continues for another second or so. Like PA452 said, it's a gear-like noise - and when you push the clutch in, you can hear it gradually slow down and stop. I think it's the input shaft and/or its bearings. It just makes this noise when there's no load on it - when it's just spinning freely (transmission in neutral and clutch out). Maybe there's too much slop/play in the way the shaft is retained or rides on its bearings - or maybe it's by design... or maybe the bearings are bad... I don't know. The reason it's more apparent when the A/C is on is because the A/C compressor drag causes the engine to idle slower - and when this engine (or any 4-cylinder) idles slower, it runs rougher. The rougher idle causes the input shaft to rattle more. If you rev the engine up a little bit (runs smoother), the noise goes away. My gut feeling is it's nothing to worry about, but I'm still going to keep my eyes open for a TSB - and if nothing comes out before my warranty is up, I'm going to take it to the dealership and complain about it - just to get on record with it in case a TSB comes out for it later.

3. Apr 6, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    DOT3

DOT3 Member

Member:
    I thought I read somewhere that the noise was caused by the oil control valve and that it was normal. Maybe I read this on TN but I can't find the post.

My 07 has done it since new. If I idle up just a bit it goes away. Like it's oil pressure related.

4. Apr 6, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    Interesting... but why would it go away when you push the clutch in? I firmly believe it's in the transmission.

5. Apr 6, 2010 at 10:38 PM
    mtndrew1

mtndrew1 New Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Nice to see a thread on this. My '06 PreRunner 4cyl/5sp makes this same noise and it's making me crazy. The truck has 42k miles on the clock.

I tend to be more irritated by car noises than most people so I haven't pressed the issue with Toyota yet. However I lent the truck to a friend for the past week and he told me about this "awful diesel noise" when idling at a stoplight until he pushes the clutch in. He was worried he had done something to damage the truck. At least I know I'm not over-reacting now.

I'm inclined to believe this is an internal transmission bearing issue, especially given that some others with failed pulley bearings hear similar noises (aside from the clutch relief).

It certainly sounds like bearings and it's absolutely related to whether or not there's any input going to the gearbox. Engaging the A/C compressor seems to drop the idle speed just enough to make the thing go bonkers.

I've got another year of warranty and I'm leaning towards becoming a thorn in Toyota's side if they don't have a resolution for this. I'd feel bad selling this truck to someone else knowing it's going to make this obnoxious noise.

I'll be watching this thread and will post if I get any update from my Toyota dealer, who I've had very good luck with in the past (Toyota of Hollywood).

6. Aug 1, 2010 at 10:20 PM
    CEaton

CEaton Member

Member:
    Frederick, MD.
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab 2.7 SR5
    I am having the same exact issues as everyone here, bought my 07 4x4 2.7 with 37k on the clock 7/4/09, completely silent, fast forward to this summer, when the AC came back into play I started hearing the noise, very pronounced, I now have 77k miles(I drive a lot).

I had the truck into two dealers, the first wanted 1k just to rip it apart and look, even under extracare warranty, then I took it to another dealer(trusted friend service writer at this dealer) they agreed it didn't sound like a throw out bearing at first, once they took it apart they concluded it was the throw out, so I paid to have the complete clutch treatment, disk, bearing etc. This also included a full flush of the tranny........

Noise came back IMMEDIATELY after a real drive(more than 30 miles) so it's going back to the dealer with a copy of this thread on the passenger seat. I will keep everyone posted.

Luckily I have the Extra Care warranty.

7. Aug 2, 2010 at 12:00 AM
    grizzlytravis

grizzlytravis Well-Known Member

Member:
    tampa florida
    Vehicle:
    08 taco 5 lug
    3inch ready lift, tint, foglights,BHLM,dumped exh,rims,tires, and a dent in the bumper
    hmm so i guess its not just me lol...im sure its nothin i mean i got 50k on mine and its done it since i bought it new so...im not worried my question is, is it only the 2.7 that does this?

8. Aug 2, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    i think so my 2010 does it. i dont like it. especially going through a drive through sounds like my truck is going to blow up. My opinion, anything that makes a rattle like that there is two (or more) pieces of metal hitting each other and has to cause some wear eventually. im too lazy to go to the dealer but i wonder if there has ever been anyone who has brought the truck back enough times to get it bought back...

9. Aug 2, 2010 at 8:44 PM
    CEaton

CEaton Member

Member:
    Frederick, MD.
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab 2.7 SR5
    Looks like I might be getting a new trans, I brought the truck home, they are opening a case with Toyota and recommending replacement, so we'll see. I'll keep everyone updated.

10. Aug 2, 2010 at 8:54 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    my 2010 did it right from the drive home from the dealer... i doubt a new tranny will do anything...

hey maybe ill be bringing my truck to the dealer. according to lemon law they get 3 attempts to fix it. then i will be upgrading to a v6 because they tend to not make that noise.

that and i always have the erge to put my truck in reverse.... my last 3 cars were 6 speeds... not liking the 5box

11. Aug 9, 2010 at 8:18 PM
    lIlOtAcO

lIlOtAcO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Jax, FL.
    Vehicle:
    2010 S/C PreRunner SR5
    Brand FlippiN New
    Mine does it also, found this thread on a search cause Im on my 2nd trip to the dealership. So dont use Coggin Toyota if you are in Jax FL. I will update after it goes in next week. Im ready to take this to a lawyer and introduce the lemon law.

BTW 2010 2.7 prerunner with 4500 miles.

12. Aug 9, 2010 at 9:04 PM
    Gyprat

Gyprat Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4 cyl, SR5, Manual
    Same problem. Very annoying. The transmission shifts like crap too. Very notchy and the first gear is very hard to engage. It also makes noise in first gear. A properly designed gear box should not make such noise. Noisy reverse is normal because they used straigh cut gears. Forward gears should be helical and they make no noise if properly set.
    I'm having a hard time believing that my truck will last past the warranty period. Too many little (or not so little) issues. :mad:

13. May 29, 2012 at 1:13 PM
    KaosTsoc

KaosTsoc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft. Hood Tx
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner
    I know this is a very old thread, but I was wondering if any of the posters on here have an update on this issue. I am in the same boat with the same noise down to a T, and dotted i. So, any update on wether or not change the TO bearing worked, or if changeing of the input shaft bearing worked???

Thanks.

14. May 29, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    xyourlocaldjx

xyourlocaldjx Well-Known Member

Member:
    mines an automatic and it's made that noise for the past 2-3 years. bugs the sh*t out of me.

15. Jun 1, 2012 at 12:02 PM
    Gyprat

Gyprat Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4 cyl, SR5, Manual
    I already had my throwout bearing replaced once. It was making very loud chirping noise. It was done two month ago and I think its going bad again. Transmission was shifting great with the new bearing for about two weeks. Now it back to "normal" again.
    I'll never buy another Tacoma again.

16. Sep 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM
    presentpurfect

presentpurfect Member

Member:
    north carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 4X4
    Had the above symptom and after a 10k trip replaced the transmission lub. (2009 I4 5 speed). all noise went away.

17. Jul 22, 2013 at 5:21 PM
    mrbadwrench

mrbadwrench Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleveland Ohio area
    Vehicle:
    2014 GMC Sierra 4x4, 1988 Mitsubishi J53
    My 2012 with 40k on it does this and has since new. I'm not particularly concerned since it is not indicative of an imminent mechanical failure.

18. Jul 22, 2013 at 6:14 PM
    08beachtoy

08beachtoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    08' reg cab 4x4 2.7ltr 5 spd
    Sony cd player /ipod , small amp, bed mat from Dee Zee , A.R.E. custom cap with yakima racks, weather gaurd floor mats , oem fog lights ,oem DRL mod, class III hitch ,custom bed mounted power inverter, tinted windows 5 % all around, oem hood protector /bugshield , avs door visors ,wet okole seat covers , Train air horn
    My truck does this also its the 2.7 ltr and I really only notice it with the a/c on it doesn't bother me and doesn't seem to have been an issue 94k on the truck now and still very happy with it as it's been flawless and I am tough on the truck .

Products Discussed in

To Top