1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RC Forged Aluminum UCA's.....Hear me out

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by TacoFergie, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Aug 9, 2021 at 6:47 AM
    TacoFergie

TacoFergie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Iowa
    Preface - I do NOT like Rough Country at all! Lets get that straight!

After looking into UCA's recently I found these in my search.

https://www.roughcountry.com/toyota...74201.html?find=2015-toyota-tacoma-4wd-738360

[​IMG]

They are cheap, $269! Maybe for a reason? They specify that they work ONLY with 3.5" lift kits, but I don't see the issue using them on 2.5"-3"-ish lifts. I would assume they don't affect the alignment too much to put them out of spec for a 2.5"-3" lift. I like that they have rubber bushings, that the ball joint is sealed and they are greasable. I don't know what ball joint is used, but I'm guessing it will be supported for quite some time in the future. But for a forged aluminum UCA with sealed ball joints at $269, this is absolutely the cheapest aluminum or steel UCA's out there. I have a hard time believing they would be the worst UCA out there, but I'm not sure how bad they "could" be. I know there are plenty of people using the RC 3.5" lift kit that includes these and haven't seen any issues regarding the UCA. So it leads me to believe these are at least decent.

I know what most of you are going to say.... "Don't bother" or "Stick with JBA or Light Racing or whatever you're a fanboy of". Which I fully understand. But these aren't far off aftermarket OE replacement UCAs, which makes them very appealing.

Thanks for reading and I'm curious to hear what your thoughts are.

west4x4, ohcaltexscar and SR-71A like this.
  2. Aug 9, 2021 at 6:51 AM
    LarryDangerfield

LarryDangerfield One Larry a day keeps the money away ™ Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Cement 2020 Trail Limo off-road
    Tuxmat floor mats, Bilstein 6112s and 5160s
    I would say give them a shot. Though rough country admittedly does make some junk, they do actually make some quality stuff as well. (Like their Vertex coilovers and seat covers) Plus I have heard their customer service is pretty good.

3. Aug 9, 2021 at 6:57 AM
    TacoFergie

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Iowa
    I've heard their customer service is good too. Maybe they are turning a page in quality? Especially considering GM uses their shocks on their Trail Boss/AT4 1/2 ton trucks which leads me to believe they may have learned some things about longevity and valving specs when working with GM.

EDIT: GM uses Ranhco, NOT Rough Country...my bad guys.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  4. Aug 9, 2021 at 6:57 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    My thoughts, since you asked, are that they're probably cheap garbage. There are many places on the truck it's ok to go cheap if you want- lights, radio, bed rack, etc. The suspension on my truck is not a place I'm going to be pinching pennies. That doesn't mean you have to buy the nicest stuff, just established and proven stuff.

5. Aug 9, 2021 at 7:00 AM
    LarryDangerfield

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    I must confess, this part IS weird thoughScreenshot_20210809-085938.jpg

Telkins88 likes this.
  6. Aug 9, 2021 at 7:00 AM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
  7. Aug 9, 2021 at 7:39 AM
    TacoFergie

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Iowa
    I'm not disagreeing with you there (though I'm not one to cheap out on lights, I'm a lighting nerd lol). But I doubt RC would put out a product that is unsafe that would potentially ruin their name. Looking at the install instructions on the 3.5" leveling kit it says to "align to factory specs". So I would assume it improves caster and ball joint angle like every other performance UCA does. My current set up is 6112's w/ 600lb springs (5/4 clip setting but still getting lean, I only gained a little over 2" lift after settling), OME Dakar Med leafs, B110 5100's in the rear. I want to step up the front spring rate to avoid the lean, but I'm not doing that until I get UCAs.

Ya, I'm sure it's to cover their a** that they say ONLY for 3.5" lift so normal RC buyers aren't confused.

No doubt those are amazing! Their R&D on the lower pivot mounting and long travel kits is amazing!! I also like that they are made in the USA, but $799 vs $269 is a lot of money saved for other parts. I would consider myself frugal, but not cheap. I will always spend extra money where it's warranted but sometimes it's a tough decision when Part A is a 1/3 of the price as Part B. Don't get me wrong, my dream is to be able to do the whole JD Fab 2.25" long travel kit! But I have to be realistic and living in NW IA puts me 8+hrs from trails that are worth traveling for and I drive the truck to and from said location. So I am not able to get on trails as often as many and generally don't go hard because I know I have to drive it home.

8. Aug 9, 2021 at 7:42 AM
    LarryDangerfield

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    I agree, the risk reward isn't there for them to risk people's lives.

9. Aug 9, 2021 at 7:43 AM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    It doesn't necessarily have to be unsafe to be a shitty product. You could get 12 months out of the bushings/ball joint before needing to replace them.

You're looking at the sealed uniball inner bushing. If you get it with rubber bushings it's $529.

10. Aug 9, 2021 at 7:44 AM
    Jackie Moon

Jackie Moon Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCSB OR 6MT
    I think I'm too naive to understand how those would be an upgrade over the OEM steel tubes...

11. Aug 9, 2021 at 7:51 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    Additional built in caster via ball joint positioning for lifted applications. Otherwise OEM is fine for stock height and only mild 1-2” lift.

parel and SR-71A like this.
  12. Aug 9, 2021 at 7:57 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I saw these the other week. I’m quite surprised a forged arm is sub $300. Similar companies with overseas manufacturing have been at the $599-699 introductory mark at best. The other potential scenario is they are pricing cheap for now and in 6 months when word gets out they shoot up to $400+.

For the price, I’d be curious the quality of the included ball joints too.

That being said even cheap stuff like freedom offroad ucas aren’t giving people any trouble so may be a non-issue. I get leary though of products matching prices of garbage resellers like ksp.

TacoFergie[OP] and SR-71A like this.
  13. Aug 9, 2021 at 8:00 AM
    LarryDangerfield

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I had two thoughts about the price. Either I introductory pricing like when wildpeaks first came out, or that's per arm :D

14. Aug 9, 2021 at 8:03 AM
    Jackie Moon

Jackie Moon Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCSB OR 6MT
    Oh right, 3.5in lift required. Can you tell that's not my thing either? :rofl:

JdevTac[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Aug 9, 2021 at 8:04 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I do find the “only fits with 3.5 of lift” as someone else noted, goofy as hell too. Either that’s just them not knowing their product or these have some whacky specs. 3.5” isn’t a popular lift number, 2.5-3” captures most people out of the range of OEM UCAs. It’s either that or people go to 4-6” drop brackets.

16. Aug 9, 2021 at 8:15 AM
    skeletron

skeletron Disgraced Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clark
    Sakerlina
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Broh
    You may be mistaken here bro. I've got a 2019 Trail Boss in the driveway and the shocks are Rancho, not RC.

7D3E9A55-9F44-42FF-896A-64DDC549FC41.jpg BDB4DFBE-6BC9-4CC6-B4C7-375BEFD5B73A.jpg

17. Aug 9, 2021 at 9:11 AM
    TacoFergie

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Iowa
    You're right! My bad, I looked on my phone and all I saw was "sealed" in the options and didn't see that it referred to the inner uniball. OOPS! That's a good point. I would assume, not knowing the ID, that you could put OEM or OEM replacement bushings in. As for the ball joint, I don't see a replacement part number. Though I did email them about it, we'll see what they say.

Wel, the OEM UCAs are stamped steel, have limited range of motion not allowing for lifts higher than 2.5" and they do not change the caster when lifted.

Oopsie daisey, my bad! I'll correct my previous post. Though I haven't been a fan of Rancho in the past either, I've replaced many with 25k miles on them that were blown. But I'm sure GM engineers worked with Rancho for longevity and hopefully it's not going to be an issue.

LarryDangerfield and whatstcp like this.
  18. Aug 9, 2021 at 9:25 AM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Yeah but do you really want to be dealing with replacing ball joints and bushings prematurely? Of course this is all hypothetical at this point, just a point of discussion.

At the end of the day, it’s still a cheap, made in China product from a company not exactly known for quality. I would rather spend a little more and complement those nice 6112s with an equally beefy quality control arm.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  19. Aug 9, 2021 at 10:42 AM
    Dalegribble02

Dalegribble02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savona British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 4x4 meg grey sold
    Dobinson mrrs Deaver leafs archive garage hammer hangers.
    I wouldn't touch those ucas with a 10 foot pole.

20. Aug 9, 2021 at 10:53 AM
    TacoFergie

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Iowa
    I totally agree with you! I'm just curious if anyone has experience with them. It seems they are hit an miss on the silverado forums. Some have no issues for years and 10's of thousands of miles where others have issues within 4 months with the ball joint. But something not mentioned in my brief searches were, wheel/tire weight, suspension height (maybe too high) or proper alignment specs.

My plan is to use either Light Racing, JBA or JD Fab to compliment the 6112's once I get heavier springs.

EatSleepTacos[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top