1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Re-gearing? HELP!

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by 4banger805, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Aug 27, 2010 at 5:47 PM
    4banger805

4banger805 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    San Luis Obispo
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Prerunner 2.7L I4
    I see a lot of talk about switching from 4.10's to 4.56's and 4.88's...what does this all me! in English! i am not exactly a truck expert(as you can tell), and am curious as to what exactly a regearing entails, WHY it supposedly gives you more power, what are the downsides, and should i do it? thanks guys

2. Aug 27, 2010 at 5:52 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    If you want to put larger tires on, then re gearing is a good idea. Basically the higher the number, the lower the gear ratio. So going from a 4.10 to a 4.88 will give you more low end grunt to move those big tires. If you dont regear with larger tires, you have effectively raised the gear ratio just by putting larger tires on (made it so your engine spins slower on the freeway but makes you loose some power in the low end). The regearing will bring you back close to stock overall gearing.
    You can think of it like riding a mountain bike, when you are in a really low gear you can climb almost anything, but sacrafice top speed, in a really high gear its hard to take off but you have a higher top speed.

3. Sep 14, 2010 at 1:59 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    What size tires you going to run? No need to really regear if you go to 265/75/16 but if you go to 285/75 or 255/85 then you need to go to 4.56 or if you do mostly city driving and wheeling than 4.88 will be the better option.

When regearing be prepared to spend a good amount of change even for the 2wd!

Regearing changes the "drive" ratio. So instead of 4.1 turns of the pinion to 1 turn of the ring you are going to be either doing turning it more which = a higher rpm but "less" work that the engine and transmission will have to do.

4. Sep 14, 2010 at 4:14 PM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    ^^ I get it now!

It really is like a mountain bike (duhhh). Never thought of it that way. I lost considerable low power just by putting in my K&N and my MagnaFlow. There is a huge disappointing difference.
    I'm saving up for 285/??/R17 tires, whatever will fit right under the Toytech 3" ultimate. Those tires will cost me $1200 easily. so there goes another $1200 for re-gearing... great
    I hate you, all of you. You suck :)

(ETA: I have a 6cyl, but the topic is generic enough, please don't shoot me lol)

5. Sep 14, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    ryber

ryber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    kitchener, ontario
    Vehicle:
    06 Reg Cab 4X4
    285/75/16 MTZ's.... OME lift(885s)...4:88 gears.... Front and rear ARB.... Homemade skids

Products Discussed in

To Top