1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Really new some help with flushing my engine of coolant

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Stout890, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Jan 2, 2012 at 4:17 PM
    Stout890

Stout890 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    10" sub, OME881 on Bilstein's, 3" all-pro leaf springs with billies in the back, JBA UCA's, bed cover with custom LED lighting, k&n intake and DT headers, OEM E-locker in the rear. 32" BFG KO2 on steel D window wheels, suicide knob. rebuilt 3RZ w/ stage 1 cam and balance shaft delete . big 3 mod, all new suspension and body mount bushings. cat back magnaflow exhaust.
    So Iv been doing research for a few weeks about flushing my coolant to change my radiator. Iv been out all day trying to do the system flush but I can't seem to get coolant to flow.

What iv read to do is disconnect the upper hose and remove radiator cap. Flow water into radiator while running engine (with upper rad hose disconnected) water should flow through system and be spit out of the upper hose flushing the system. But I am getting no flow of water an as my scan gauge read the water temp to be 211f steam started to come out only. So I shut the engine off.

Am I doing something wrong?
    Shouldn't coolant be flowing?
    Im wondering if flow is created by built up system pressure or by the water pump alone?

2. Jan 2, 2012 at 4:29 PM
    kws129

kws129 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road Double Cab
    if you drained all the coolant fm teh engine I think you moved all the coolant away from the thermostat not allowing it to open. I wouldn't worry about flushing the coolant, just drain the block. If you have a 3.4L the block drain is on the right side of the engine block near the front. Look in throught the wheel well and you'll see it. it's a 10 or 12mm plug next to a lifttle pipe. Loosen the plug and watch the block drain out the plug. There will be the same on the left side of teh block if you don't have an oil cooler.

3. Jan 2, 2012 at 4:33 PM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    10" sub, OME881 on Bilstein's, 3" all-pro leaf springs with billies in the back, JBA UCA's, bed cover with custom LED lighting, k&n intake and DT headers, OEM E-locker in the rear. 32" BFG KO2 on steel D window wheels, suicide knob. rebuilt 3RZ w/ stage 1 cam and balance shaft delete . big 3 mod, all new suspension and body mount bushings. cat back magnaflow exhaust.
    Well iv been mixing green coolant with the red coolant so I was wanting to flush the system but this is becoming a headache so maybe I will just drain the block and be done with it.

4. Jan 2, 2012 at 4:50 PM
    kws129

kws129 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road Double Cab
    IN that case take off the upper radiator hose and fill and drain the block a couple of times with water, take off the heater hoses and flush the core and you should be good to go. Good Luck

5. Jan 2, 2012 at 5:02 PM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    I have a 4cylinder And I can't find a drain plug on the block.

So your saying if I pour water down the upper hose it should flow through the block? And what would the heater hoses look like?

6. Jan 2, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    Jez

Jez Hittn' easy steet on mud tires

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 Black DC TRD SR5
    K&N air intake, Fox 2.5 coilovers, Total Chaos UCA's, AllPro Expo rear leaf pack, Fox 2.0 rear shocks, Diff Drop, U-Bolt Flip kit, Drive Shaft shim kit, Weathertech's, Borla cat back, Ultra Gauge,Clarion Radio, 18% tinted windows all the way around, smoked tail lights and rear break light, painted front chrome grill black, stained yellow fog lights, black head light mod, Interior LED kit, LED reverse lights, black leather arm rest mod
    You have to make sure to run the engine long enough to get to proper running temperature. The thermostat doesn't open until the truck is warm which means the fluid will not pass and fully circulate. I suggest to drain it, run it until proper operating temp, shut it off and allow it to cool then repeat...

7. Jan 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    I did and it got to 213 for the water temp on my scan gauge. The thermostat opens around 185. But that's basically what I'm doing. I'm filling it-running it-than draining it- repeat. Still getting pink water an the 3rd go.

I don't know how these people that say it just flows out ever did there's but I'm assuming they actually never did do it and don't know what there talking about unless I'm getting it completely wrong

8. Jan 2, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    The only way to do it right is to not only drain the radiator, but drain the block, AND use Toyota red coolant. Any other way than you're just doing it half a$$ed.

[​IMG]

9. Jan 2, 2012 at 7:53 PM
    Wyowill

Wyowill Active Member

Member:
    The block drain on a 4 cyl is on RH side near front. 10 or12 mm plug next to small pipe ( 'bout 5/16 OD,) kind of a SOB to get to.

10. Jan 2, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    Catcrazed

Catcrazed Love is Dogs and Toyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Flatbed 3.4
    91 Flatbed, 4.88's, ARBs, SAS, 3.4 Swap, 35s, M8000, lots lights, Aux tank, Protech
    OK well ive never looked at a 4cly but i woud take the thermostat out bolt it back together then flush the water should go through then. Then I would put a brand new thermostat in because there like $10 including a gasket so why not? that way you don't have it stick the next week and have to drain ur new coolant again. The thermostat's are usually pretty easy just look where the upper rad hose bolts on the motor and take the little housing off?

11. Jan 3, 2012 at 12:38 PM
    rll131

rll131 rll131

Member:
    First Name:
    raymond
    elkton md 21921
    Vehicle:
    2000 2.4 liter 4 banger
    all i did was drain the radiator on the plug underneath then filled with water and ran the engine for 5 mintures or so then drained the water. then i filled with water once more and ran the engine and drained it again. then filled with 60 percent antifreeze and 40 percent water. no need to unhook any hoses.

12. Jan 5, 2012 at 11:26 PM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    Thanks for this idea I ended up finding the block drain and just feed water through upper hose and letting it drain right out. Don't know how well any of this worked but I'm glad to be done with it lol.

13. Jan 6, 2012 at 5:55 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    I don't think there is a block drain on both side's of the 3.4 just the passenger side, will have to look next time I have a chance, I could be wrong.

Products Discussed in

To Top