1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear air bags?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacojefe, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Apr 5, 2017 at 8:13 AM
    Hoyle

Hoyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cookeville TN.
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4 Black
    A lot of stuff.
    Since where on the matter of "Axle Wrap" , I recall on my previous 2003 I had the same problem, tried all the quick fixes until the only way to solve the problem was with Traction Bar installed.. problem solved and gone! ...

Rexfordian13 likes this.
  2. Apr 5, 2017 at 8:47 AM
    tacojefe

tacojefe [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Western Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    I only have the 4 cyl. and usually drive like there's an egg on the go pedal. I should be good:thumbsup:
    For my use, I don't see the need for onboard air, although the big horn's are a lot of fun. Other than needing it for an air locker or something, this is more of an option (for bags) right?

Green Jeans likes this.
  3. Apr 5, 2017 at 8:55 AM
    Bobcdn

Bobcdn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    WTB; 2nd gen well built Tacoma
    hmm... never thought of air horns!o_O

tacojefe[OP] likes this.
  4. Apr 5, 2017 at 9:22 AM
    Harry

Harry Science, Bitches

Member:
    Santa Fe NM
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Firestones and Daystar cradles here. I routed the air valves through the license plate mounts.

5. Apr 5, 2017 at 9:30 AM
    tacojefe

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Western Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    I had a set on my pickup, chit, 35 years ago by now, and the drivers haven't gotten any less deserving of a good blast now & then to help them pull their head out of their ass :bananadance:

Bobcdn[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Apr 5, 2017 at 9:35 AM
    tacojefe

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Western Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    I was just imagining (only) a schrader fill valve that I thought about mounting high up under the bed rail (in the bed), I guess there would also be a "dump" valve also, duhh on my part. My thinking was to keep it out of harms way (boots, sticks, snow & mud etc).

7. Apr 5, 2017 at 9:39 AM
    Harry

Harry Science, Bitches

Member:
    Santa Fe NM
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Having the valves at the license plate protects better than having them under the truck IMO. The kits come with two valves, one for each side, as you don't always want the same pressure on both sides (just most of the time, maybe an extra 1-2psi on the left for Taco lean).

Marc70 and tacojefe[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  8. Apr 5, 2017 at 7:01 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    No need to have it for the bags. I have my ARB compressor for the tires and rarely use it for the bags.

9. Apr 7, 2017 at 2:18 PM
    tacojefe

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Western Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    UPS man showed up this afternoon.DSCN8681.jpg

I have the frame on jack stands & the axle on the jack. This is the position of the axle hanging from the leaf's.
    I'm going to have to jack the axle up to get the bag's attached, this leads me to thinking that without a axle strap to limit it's downward movement, the axle, tire's & wheels will all be hanging off the bags. I'm subject to a little twisting off road, but no wild "wheeling" but don't want to worry every time I might go through a little off camber twist about ripping my new bag's apart. Do these Daystar cradles leave the bottom side "unattached" or have something else for this concern?
    DSCN8682.jpg

edit; I just found them online and got my answer, but also found a review where a guy had them not "re-seat" properly and ruined a tire and a bag! Also came across a Firestone notice that mentioned Daystar by name and that they were not compatible and would not warranty the bag's with their use.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  10. Apr 7, 2017 at 5:46 PM
    Bobcdn

Bobcdn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    WTB; 2nd gen well built Tacoma
    Was thinking about the rear bags and putting the truck on a frame type lift. What about using a limiting strap that you only put on the truck when it goes on a frame lift?

11. Apr 8, 2017 at 1:08 AM
    jamiec

jamiec Man who keep hands in pockets feel cocky all day

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Chillicothe, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 Prius three touring. Sold the Taco
    Rear bags are on my to-do list. I have hornblasters train horns so I already have my air source.
    hopefully later this year I'll be able to get bags.

12. Apr 8, 2017 at 4:40 AM
    tacojefe

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Western Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    I'm just going ahead with the installation and am fairly sure my mild use will not over extend them. I will pick up the rear after they are installed to "see how they behave" while extended. I have not come across any warnings from Firestone about this concern, as most vehicles will see a lift now & then causing the axle to hang. The bag's really only have about (this is a guess) 4-5'' of "travel" from what I've seen fooling around with them on the bench. I can see where those "Daystar" cradles would be mandatory for any wheeling above just being in 4wd. I saw the replacement bags on Firestone's site at under $70 per bag, not too bad.

Bobcdn likes this.
  13. Apr 11, 2017 at 5:02 PM
    tacojefe

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Western Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    All done, not much to see but there on, simple installation. I routed the air to the corners at the tailgate side. Should be put of the way there. I forget who mentioned he's never needed more than 10 psi, he wasn't kidding. It's hard to only put 10# in! I have not loaded it yet.DSCN8683.jpg

After I was finished I read the instructionso_O (there are good diagrams) and it stated that they were designed to support the axle while up on a lift, you just need to empty the air.

DSCN8685.jpg the right side is the same location.
    I bought a 0-20 air gauge to keep in the truck. Good and service from "Parts geek.com" and under $300.

14. Apr 11, 2017 at 5:10 PM
    httuner

httuner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD-OffroadPckg
    AFe Rebel Catback Exhaust, AFe GT Momentum Air Intake, Method Wheels, Bilstein 5100, Rigid 30" SR2 Light Bar, Rigid 10" SR Light Bar. Lots of Love

Number 4; You can correct this with Daystar Cradles!! They work 100%; there is a few youtube videos showing how you can use the bags and not have to lose articulation.

My next purchase will be the Firestone Airbags with the Daystar Cradles.

15. Apr 13, 2017 at 5:39 PM
    cappsinc

cappsinc Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    I'm carrying around 720lbs + or - all day everyday and the stock leafs have flattened out. I'm hitting the bump stops on speed bumps. You guys think the ride rite air bags will fix this issue?

IMG_2166.jpg

Marc70 likes this.
  16. Apr 13, 2017 at 6:11 PM
    tacojefe

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Western Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    Yup:thumbsup:

Hey I read here, somewhere that the 2ply leaf with the bottom helper were the "recalled" spring's (see my pic a few posts above). Is this recall for all Taco's? This is what I have, should I go to the dealer for the 3 leaf pack?
    Those 2 ply springs are pretty whimpy looking but I kinda hate the idea of the toyota mechanic changing out the springs with an attitude because of my brand new air bags that he'll have to deal with. Not sure if it's still the same, but years ago my friend worked at a dealer and he was paid by the "book hour" and could have a 12 hour (pay) day for 6-7 hours at work, and at the time, warranty work was straight pay and hated by the techs.

17. May 22, 2017 at 12:41 PM
    cappsinc

cappsinc Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    I see you are running the ride rites with the stock leaf spring. Did you need to purchase and install the axle extension bracket? I have heard the ride rite 2704 kit comes with axle brackets that were designed for the stock 3 leaf pack which requires an extension to rest on the axle with the stock 4 leaf pack or AAL/Dakar/deaver/all pro leaf packs. Just wondering if the kit may have been updated since then to allow for a true bolt on complete kit.

18. May 22, 2017 at 12:44 PM
    uwu

uwu Well-Known Member

Member:
    2407, not 2704! I have the stock 4 leaf pack and didn't have to buy anything extra. Everything included in the 2407 kit worked for me. No extra bracket necessary.

19. May 22, 2017 at 12:54 PM
    cappsinc

cappsinc Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
  20. May 22, 2017 at 1:46 PM
    uwu

uwu Well-Known Member

Member:

Products Discussed in

To Top