1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear axle seal problems..AGAIN

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by kuntry09, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Mar 3, 2018 at 9:18 AM
    arctic04trd

arctic04trd VA7XTE

Member:
    British Columbia
    Lots of stuffs
    So a diff breather located to a location that will not corrode will solve all these problems.

I'm at the 3 year mark with my truck. Still no issues regarding the list of things you mentioned.

2. Oct 24, 2018 at 2:47 PM
    Burro

Burro Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    98 v6 4x4 xtracab
    Did you ever figure out the answer to this?

I'm trying to figure out which parts to buy for my non abs elocker axle which I bought for a swap, but am unsure of what year it's out of. Definitely pre-03 since it has the ebrake cable over the leafs, but other than that how can I tell what bearing type I need?

3. Oct 24, 2018 at 9:35 PM
    kuntry09

kuntry09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Douglas, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '99 extended cab Tacoma 4x4 converted Prerunner
    Honestly, I don’t remember. I broke down and ordered seals and the bearing from CamelBack shortly after this post just to be certain. Nothing like OEM, right? ;) Perhaps if you contacted Gunny, I’m sure he would have more insight. I’m not 100% certain but I thought the Elocker housing was the same whether it be from a ‘99 or an ‘04. With it being a non-abs but an Elocker housing, you will certainly have to get bearings that are compliant with abs, but you should be able to ditch the abs tone ring.

I’ve yet to replace it mine. I figured that if it was leaking, the damage to the bearing has already been done. So far, it still isn’t leaking much. I inspected it with the drum off not long ago and found very little if any signs of leakage, certainly not enough to get in the bearing or on the shoes. so I have yet to do anything further just because of the hassle I had already been through.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018

Products Discussed in

To Top