1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear "bottoms out" under load...

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by pgiroua, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Jun 25, 2012 at 7:14 AM
    Teniente

Teniente Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City, NV/Ensenada, Baja California, MX
    Vehicle:
    White 2006 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    I had the same problems with my 2006 DCSB. Installed a pair of Firestone Ride-Rites and no more bottoming out, rides great and I can adjust the ride for the load. Easy fix.

2. Jun 25, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Temporary solution to a bigger problem. IMO a waste of money. Get new leafs.

Good luck. Now you just need to prove they are bad. That should be very easy based on the fact your truck rides on bump stops all the time. If dealer gives you shit tell him to get 3 of his salesmen to stand in the bed while in the parking lot.

From the pics you posted your leafs are totally shot. Not sure if re-arch or rebuild would work - thats out of my knowledge.

That fixes nothing during normal driving unless your always riding on the bags. IMO that's a temporary solution to a permanent problem. I would get new leafs then air bags so they didn't go to poop....not put on bags to offset bad leafs.

3. Jun 25, 2012 at 7:29 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    You would be covered if they broke, at which they would probably give you the same shitty pack. What you have is "normal Toyota" wear and not a breakage.

4. Jun 25, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    I don't see anything to indicate your springs are bad. The rear springs on our trucks are designed to give best possible ride (what customers want today) for the comparatively lightweight rear of the vehicle while still bearing sufficient load. Toyota does a pretty good job at it, but it's a complex design process, with tradeoffs. A smooth ride is obviously accomplished by using softer springs which flex more. The tradeoff is occasionally too much flex with the possibility of bottoming out. More importantly here, as springs age or wear from use, they tend to flex even more, which only increases the chance of bottoming out.

You can reduce that spring travel (chance of bottoming out) by adding a leaf the the existing springs, replacing the springs with stiffer ones, or adding air shocks or similar. The pitfall is a slightly rougher ride, which is less of a problem with the exising springs since they're already not as stiff. If there's no bounce in the rear of your truck, there's little reason to change the shocks. However, you may want to consider having that done while work is already being performed in that area.

-

5. Jun 25, 2012 at 8:30 AM
    pgiroua

pgiroua [OP] Geaux Tigers

Member:
    First Name:
    Royce
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    Fog Lights "a la Caribe Style", 20% Tint, csjumper2003's LED's (dome, map lights, park lights), Sylvania ZXE headlights and fog lights, Tonnopro Bed Cover, DTRL on any time mod by piercedtiger, Maxtrac Spindles, Bilstein 5100's (front and back), OME 883 Coils, All Pro Standard Leaf Pack
    I thought that if there was a strait or negative bend in the springs, they were bad. Is this not the case?

6. Jun 25, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    It is the case. When you have a load capacity of greater than 1200# but bottom out on the frame rail with only 300-400#, it's a design flaw. If it weren't then there would not be a TSB for it. Oddly enough, Canadian trucks get the TSB pack from the factory.

7. Jun 25, 2012 at 8:39 AM
    pgiroua

Member:
    First Name:
    Royce
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    Fog Lights "a la Caribe Style", 20% Tint, csjumper2003's LED's (dome, map lights, park lights), Sylvania ZXE headlights and fog lights, Tonnopro Bed Cover, DTRL on any time mod by piercedtiger, Maxtrac Spindles, Bilstein 5100's (front and back), OME 883 Coils, All Pro Standard Leaf Pack
    That is what I thought. This picture I took earlier in the thread is with no one or nothing in the truck or the bed. That is a pic of what the springs look like...with no load.

8. Jun 25, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    aptech

aptech Jetfixer

Member:
    houston
    Vehicle:
    10 dc offroad
    toy teccoil overs 2.5 lift.600lb springs, allpro expedition leaf pack. cbi hybrid bumper, cbi slider,cbi rear bumper swing arm, roof rack ghostflames, sport hood, tsb steering, trd cai, red map lights, derp works custom platform for bed. backup cam any time mod, fog light any time mod. bed light mod. 400watt inverter mod. 2857516 dura tracs. beach sand intsall and a lot more shite
    id call Toyota and see if the can work with your warranty and get you the tsb packs. our call the warranty company themselves. you may be surprised at what they'll say yes to. it is a good excuse to upgrade though:D

9. Jun 25, 2012 at 9:01 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Oh, I see. I replied to your original message. Didn't see the tiny thumbnail of the image in message #17. Can't determine from that image whether your particular springs are truly bad or not. Regardless, if your truck is bottoming out too much, the solutions mentioned in my previous message are still valid. You ultimately have to decide which is best for you.

10. Jun 25, 2012 at 10:13 AM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    out and about building powerlines
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    Click on the thumbnail ^^ if you want a permanent fix you should get new leaf springs.

11. Jul 1, 2012 at 5:39 AM
    pgiroua

Member:
    First Name:
    Royce
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    I decided I am going to do a pretty good overhaul and do the Maxtrac spindles, billies all around and all pro leafs... Can't wait!

Products Discussed in

To Top