1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

rear brake / emergency brake stuck

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Myz250f, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Mar 20, 2017 at 8:34 PM
    Myz250f

Myz250f [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    daniel
    New York
    exhaust, headlight bulbs, k&n intake, programer, toytec boss front coil overs, toytec boss rear shocks, sway bar relocation, Dakar leaf pak, oc taco extended stainless steel break lines (red), kicker component front speakers, kicker 2 way rear speakers, pioneer head unit, mtx thunder amp, reverse light bulbs
    so i understand this is a common issue after reading through all the posts on here, but i have yet to find the resolution to my issue
    2007 trd offroad dcsb v6 sr5 6 speed
    in the past i have had my rear brakes freeze after going through a creek during hunting season and after washing my truck in cold weather. THIS IS NOT THAT ISSUE.when this happened i was able to eventually brake the ice free in 4x4 L reverse and rear brakes were good.

i now have had an issue with the driver side rear brake dragging upon start. it would eventually make reset after going in forward and reverse several times with light brake pressure. this issue came back on the driver side and i cleaned and replaced both driver and passenger rear brake hardware (springs adjusters etc..) also i greased the moving/ friction points on the brake shoes where they contact the brake plate (thinking that they may be dragging on there)

brake then worked fine for a month or so (during warm and below freezing weather).

tonight after leaving training at the fire dept my right rear brake was locked up. it released in reverse but reset in 1st gear. i tried all my old tricks and nothing work. I was able to lip it back to a parking spot the the tire 100% locked up.

after reviewing this issue in the past i tried of of the tricks other members talked about on the page. so i went back in the station grabbed a mallet and a rod and hit the rear drum hoping it would release. no such luck.

i then thought that maybe the e brake cable was sticking inside the line due to contaminates(rust road salt etc). i took things to the next level which i will probably regret and went back in the station and got a set of bolt cutters and cut the ****** e brake cable. (yep this didn't work)

i am thinking it may be the rear brake cylinder / caliper being old and not have good seals causing the rear brake to turn on?

any thoughts on this subject??

my next plan of action tomorrow is to buy new e brake cables and new rear drum wheel cylinder/ caliper??

2. Mar 20, 2017 at 8:37 PM
    Ross09

Ross09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greeneville,TN
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB base 4x4
    I had a similar problem,after I put a 3" lift on mine. My Ebrake cable was being pinched on the mounting bracket from where the truck was raised 3". Every time I went to acellerate the back right wheel would try to lock up. I just unbolted the mounting brackets and the issue was gone.

3. Mar 20, 2017 at 8:43 PM
    Myz250f

Member:
    First Name:
    daniel
    New York
    exhaust, headlight bulbs, k&n intake, programer, toytec boss front coil overs, toytec boss rear shocks, sway bar relocation, Dakar leaf pak, oc taco extended stainless steel break lines (red), kicker component front speakers, kicker 2 way rear speakers, pioneer head unit, mtx thunder amp, reverse light bulbs
    i do have a 3 in lift. Dakars in th rear with boss shocks but the lift is 3 years old and i never had the issue for 2 years after the lift

4. Mar 28, 2017 at 1:40 PM
    Myz250f

Member:
    First Name:
    daniel
    New York
    it ended up being the emergency brake cable.
    where the cable enters the rear brake drum it was full of rust. the return spring could not over come the the amount of rust causing the rear emergency brake to stay on

5. Mar 28, 2017 at 3:29 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    Thanks for the reply with the fix! Glad you found it.!

Also info in case someone runs by this thread ....

Drum Rear? - Check to see if the asbestos Brake shoe lining has released from the steel brake shoe - then wedges between the other shoe's lining and the drum.

Disk Rear? - I've had water get into the seal of the Caliper and rust the CI caliper when then bound up the piston.

Products Discussed in

To Top