1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear brake 'shudder'

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 00tacocanuk, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Mar 29, 2008 at 10:19 AM
    00tacocanuk

00tacocanuk [OP] New Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '00 Taco 4x4
    My '00 4x4 has newer brakes. The rear seems to shudder like a warped drum or a spot of oil on the drum when I brake. But it seems to come and go - sometimes it's hardly noticable and other times it shakes the whole truck!
    I took the drums off and the brakes are spotless. I used a brake cleaner on the shoes and drums but still the problem persists.
    Everything looks new.
    Could a weak spring set do this?
    If the drums are warped would it be intermittant?

whatayathink?

Steve

2. Mar 29, 2008 at 10:44 AM
    2003greenbean

2003greenbean Carolina Alliance Costal Div

Member:
    socaste,sc
    Vehicle:
    03 trd
    cold air intake, step bars, custom grill, 3in lift,12 in audiobahn sub, 285/75/16 procomp tires, 20% tint,
    are you sure it is the rear you might need to get the front roaters turned if it is the rear thee way you can tell drive slowly aand put you e brake on slow and see if it shutters

3. Mar 29, 2008 at 11:54 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Drums aren't known to warp as much as rotors would....

What exactly is happening? And why do you think it's the rear?

I'd begin inspecting the front brakes for warping. An easy way to do this (redneck way) - Is jack up the front end and take the wheels off.
    Take a WD-40 can with the little red straw.....and put it on something sturdy (and at proper height). Put the tip of the straw right up againest the rotor at the very bottom (flat area). You want it close enough to the rotor but not close enough to actually move the straw when you rotate the rotor.
    Then - spin the rotor by hand and watch the straw and the gap (if any) inbtween the rotor & straw. This is a redneck dial indicator basically...and can give you a general idea if your rotors are warped or not.

Although rotors can warp on their own and it is very common, another culprit is bad wheel bearings. While you have your wheels off - inspect your wheel bearings by spinning and feeling for rough spots. Also, pull rotor inward & outward, side to side for any 'play'

4. Mar 29, 2008 at 12:58 PM
    00tacocanuk

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '00 Taco 4x4
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
    I should have mentioned that the same is confirmed with the hand brake. I don't feel it in the pedal either, but can in the cable hand brake.
    I don't have ABS.

Maybe the wheel bearings? In my experience the wheel bearings going would make a noise and turning the steering to change weight transfer from one side to the other would vary that noise. This isn't happening as there is no noise like a bad bearing? It rides really smooth and has new LT-X tires.

2 things;
    it's definitely the rear, and it varies in intensity. After a longer highway run it is usually a lot worse but can come and go.

What the easiest way to check if it is the bearings? They turned smooth when I tried them with the drums off.

5. Mar 29, 2008 at 3:41 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    What are you feeling in the hand brake?
    Have you checked your ebrake for adjustment lately? (just a wild thought).
    Do you have the pull handle ebrake?
    *this is from my 96 tacoma - so pending the 00 setup, you might not be able to use this*
    http://www.lieblweb.com/tacoma/Mechanical/EbrakeAdjustment/ebrakeadjustment.htm

When was the last time you checked or replaced your rear differential fluids?
    Wheel bearings get lubricated by the diff oil, and if you're low on oil or have water in the diff..... could cause problems with the bearings.

Also - check your u-joints in your rear driveshaft also.

Can't suspect any given thing - I've seen weirder things happen when you least expect it.

6. Mar 29, 2008 at 5:45 PM
    350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    1997 3RZ 5spd 4x4 Reg Cab
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" suspension lift, hybrid 52"chevy/toyota rear springs.
    I would go with phantoms idea or maybe need to replace the fluid wear it is boiling off too fast if the fluid is older....so when brakes heat up it boils off making bubbles... also could be your wheel cylinders

7. Apr 19, 2008 at 5:57 PM
    00tacocanuk

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '00 Taco 4x4
    I changed both drums with new ones after talking to a mechanic.

He says cheap drums are round when cool, but go egg shaped when they heat up...
    This is what was happening to mine.
    Once I changed them - no more shudder!

Thanks to all who replied.

8. Apr 19, 2008 at 7:11 PM
    alexh

alexh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998 TRD
    Good to know.

I always get the premium rotors also. I have checked the premium rotors against the stockers and they look virtually identical. So, what they really mean is that the "premiums" are OEM quality and the budget ones are junk.

Products Discussed in

To Top