1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Bump Stops

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by tacopromatt, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Apr 16, 2019 at 3:21 PM
    tacopromatt

tacopromatt [OP] Matt's Pro Taco (SOLD)

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Tacoma TRD Pro AT
    Looking for some advice on my otherwise mostly stock 30k miles Fox suspension TRD Pro.

I just received and installed a bump stop setup with flip kit from DuroBumps. Front was no issue and perfectly replaced the SuperBumps I had.

The rear has me scratching my head. I wanted to upgrade the rear bump stops since the bottoming out gets a bit harsh at times, either with a full bed load or doing some offroad track stuff. Stock bump stops don't do well with bigger high speed bumps.

Anyway, after install, I'm left with maybe 1.5" of space between the bump stop and the frame. They are advertised as working with stock suspension, but I can definitely feel them hitting around town on speed bumps, etc. I like the idea of a flip kit but the bracket & bump stop combo take up a lot of room. These are the 3.5" (smallest) ones they offer.

Advice? Thoughts? Go back to stock until I get a lift?

IMG_0258.jpg IMG_0260.jpg

2. Apr 16, 2019 at 3:28 PM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    Detriot locker rear ARB air locker front 4.56 gears OME 3" lift, SPC uca's , moto metal 951 wheels 315/75/r16 Treadwright guard dogs, homemade front plate bumper with smittybilt 9.5k winch, homemade skids, homemade Bed bars, Mobtown offroad high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier, Homemade rock sliders , U-bolt flip, Wheeler's super bumps, BORA 1" wheel spacers , Black headlight mod , black tail lights, Satoshi Grill , autoPage C3 RS-665 alarm with remote start, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, cruise control,bed/ground effect lights, wet okole seat covers, tinted,windows, weather tech floor mats, AVS vent shades, debadged, hidden cobra 19 cb, 7" offroad lights behind grill, rear diff breather relocate, abs kill switch
    They should compress and be about the the same height as the stock bumpstops when the finally stop compressing

whatstcp likes this.
  3. Apr 16, 2019 at 3:36 PM
    Anchovy

Anchovy Rule #1: Never take me seriously

Member:
    First Name:
    TRD Ferguson
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road (OVTuned)
    Does it say if it was designed for a lifted truck?

4. Apr 16, 2019 at 3:41 PM
    tacopromatt

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    They sure don’t seem like they’ll compress as much.

They are advertised as working with stock suspension.

5. Apr 16, 2019 at 3:55 PM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    Detriot locker rear ARB air locker front 4.56 gears OME 3" lift, SPC uca's , moto metal 951 wheels 315/75/r16 Treadwright guard dogs, homemade front plate bumper with smittybilt 9.5k winch, homemade skids, homemade Bed bars, Mobtown offroad high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier, Homemade rock sliders , U-bolt flip, Wheeler's super bumps, BORA 1" wheel spacers , Black headlight mod , black tail lights, Satoshi Grill , autoPage C3 RS-665 alarm with remote start, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, cruise control,bed/ground effect lights, wet okole seat covers, tinted,windows, weather tech floor mats, AVS vent shades, debadged, hidden cobra 19 cb, 7" offroad lights behind grill, rear diff breather relocate, abs kill switch
  6. Apr 16, 2019 at 3:59 PM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    They will feel pretty hard when you put 100lbs of pressure on them but they compress when put them on a truck and put 2,000 lbs on them.

I don't have durobumps I have wheeler's superbumps I'm pretty sure they're about the same thing. I couldn't be happier with them

7. Apr 16, 2019 at 4:02 PM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    They will compress, trust. They are similar to wheelers superbumps in that you can squish them as hard as you can with hands or body weight and they feel stiff as hell. But hit a hole and they will compress.

Here's a video. Turn volume down because the background music is loud and obnoxious
    https://youtu.be/YRmK_NkU8Rs

8. Apr 16, 2019 at 4:07 PM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
  9. Apr 16, 2019 at 4:09 PM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    I feel sorry for my CV's now

crhsharks12 and whatstcp[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Apr 16, 2019 at 4:10 PM
    whatstcp

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    Also, the reason they sit so much closer to the bumpstop landing pad compared to stock is that if you were to space them just like the OEM ones that do not compress at all, the durobumps would barely begin providing resistance by compressing by the time your TRD Pro shocks are bottoming out, basically wrecking your shocks.

My wheelers superbumps sit about the same distance, which made them almost impossible to install without jacking the front end, but I was stubborn and somehow got them in.

11. Apr 16, 2019 at 4:12 PM
    tacopromatt

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    I agree with everything posted here and have seen the same pictures which is why I got these. Just feels like I’m riding the bumps around town which concerns me.

Surprised i couldn’t find anyone else with the same setup.

Also, a lot of these comments and pics/vids concern the fronts which I have no problems with. I’m looking for info on the rears. Space between the bumps and the frame, flip kits on stock suspension, etc.

Is this an issue of progressive Pro shocks combined with progressive bump stops causing lots of compression when flexing?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  12. Apr 17, 2019 at 4:16 AM
    BadCow

BadCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD PRO Super White
    You might want to consider SumoSprings. They replace your factory bump stops, support heavy loads, yet ride smooth as silk on the road. I love these things. Great for pulling the boat, hauling weight in the bed, or serving as a premium bump stops. Truck is on jack stands in the photo. When sitting on the ground there is about 1/2 inch gap between the Sumo and the frame. Great product, but they are not cheap. https://www.supersprings.com/shop/SSR-612-40

IMG_4450(Edited).jpg

ohcaltexscar and tacopromatt[OP] like this.
  13. May 15, 2019 at 5:21 PM
    tictac18

tictac18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 sport
    I see that you have trd pro shocks on ur truck. I do as well but with stock leafs. Can you let me know how much weight u can have on the bed before the frame hits the sumo springs? With a canopy, I carry about 200 lbs all the time and during the summer months, around 400lbs with all my gear. Wondering if I need to get the heavy duty ones.

14. May 15, 2019 at 5:32 PM
    tacopromatt

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    I won a $900 gift card to Radflo at the 2019 Texas Toyota Jamboree a few weeks ago. Hydro bumps are on the way :)

whatstcp likes this.
  15. May 15, 2019 at 5:33 PM
    Foozer

Foozer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro - MGM
    265/75/16 BFG KO2
    Also in the market for new bumps. Anyone know what adjustment would need to be made to the bumps with a 1/2" top plate spacer? Also on pro suspension.

16. May 15, 2019 at 5:33 PM
    whatstcp

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    go big or go home eh? Hydro bumps are awesome. A little clicky clacky if you pay attention but great for hitting stuff at speed.

For hauling loads, not so much.

Products Discussed in

To Top