1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Bumper with swing out

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2013XSPX, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Aug 21, 2019 at 1:20 PM
    2013XSPX

2013XSPX [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    GA/FL Border
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X
    Pelfreybilt front/rear, RCI underneath, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu racks, SCS Brushed Copper Ray 10's, EO Sliders, Baja Designs and Rigid lights, Inca 4x4 Camper
    Hello!

I am looking for feedback about rear bumpers with swing out spare tire carriers.

How's your visibility effected?

Why did you choose a single or dual swing out?

Would you change anything about your setup?

Is the built in table worth the $150+ ?

Powder coat, Line-X or rattle can?

Thank you!

IMG_20190727_083451698_HDR.jpg IMG_20190726_095644857_HDR.jpg

2. Aug 21, 2019 at 1:22 PM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    Oh, I just got one of those!

upload_2019-8-21_15-21-18.jpg

Oh, wrong vehicle... But I got excited when I saw the thread.

uurx and Extra Hard Taco like this.
  3. Aug 21, 2019 at 1:26 PM
    2013XSPX

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    GA/FL Border
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X
    Pelfreybilt front/rear, RCI underneath, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu racks, SCS Brushed Copper Ray 10's, EO Sliders, Baja Designs and Rigid lights, Inca 4x4 Camper

Man that looks fantastic!

I'd definitely love your input!

4. Aug 21, 2019 at 1:29 PM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
  5. Aug 21, 2019 at 1:40 PM
    2013XSPX

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    GA/FL Border
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X

Yes SOS is who I'm looking at primarily! Their prices are very fair and I may be able to drive up to get it.

olekingcole likes this.
  6. Aug 21, 2019 at 1:44 PM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    How's your visibility effected? Visibility is pretty much non-existent. I used the side mirrors 100% of the time.

Why did you choose a single or dual swing out? This bumper was available locally, second hand from a friend. Not much choice.

Would you change anything about your setup? I want some sort of bedside protection like the BruteForce Fab or Relentless bumpers.

Is the built in table worth the $150+ ? If you cook out of the back of your rig, yes. I think an additional camp table would be fine either instead or on top of the fold down table. Needs vary I suppose.

Powder coat, Line-X or rattle can? I went powdercoat. The bumper was purchased secondhand, as mentioned, and DIY line-x'd poorly. Once the Line-X flakes and peels, it is a constant struggle to maintain as water etc gets under the line-x and ruins it from the inside outward. I wanted to protect my investment. For touch ups, I plan on using Rustoleum high-performance enamel paint.

[​IMG]

7. Aug 21, 2019 at 5:45 PM
    2013XSPX

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    GA/FL Border
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X

I was hoping you'd chime in. Excellent feedback thank you!

I wonder why the spare is always on the passenger side? I daily my truck and I've already tinted the Leer windows. It'll definitely suck losing that visibility.

geekhouse23[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Aug 21, 2019 at 5:47 PM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    You can request the swingout to be on the other side.

*DISCLAIMER: NOT all vendors are the same. I know this option came up on a thread I read somewhere. Never hurts to ask.*

Gunshot-6A likes this.
  9. Aug 21, 2019 at 5:50 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    It's because typically the hinge is on the passenger side, so they have the tire mounted close to the hinge point. Having the mount+big ass tire hanging off the end of that arm is a lot of force.

In regards to your original question, I am no longer a fan of swingouts. I had a bumper with one, rocked it for a year. It is handy, but it's also a PITA. It's a lot of weight hanging off the back and it's annoying having to open and close it each time you get in the bed. I ultimately ended up just cutting mine off and I'm so glad I did. Now I just toss my spare in the bed for trips, and have AAA for around town.

10. Aug 21, 2019 at 6:05 PM
    6 gearT444E

6 gearT444E Certified Electron Pusher

Member:
    Deep South
    Herculiner Hootus
    tire is on passenger side mainly to counteract the taco lean I'd say, really doesn't matter either way. Dual swingout is alot less weight on the pivot point, resulting in less sag of the swingout when open, and easier to open than a single swingout.

TACOVRD and 2013XSPX[OP] like this.
  11. Aug 22, 2019 at 6:01 AM
    Breadbox

Breadbox Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport, MT, 4X4, SR5
    4" lift; ION and Camburg, custom progressive rear springs no overload; ION Bumps; Roadmaster Active suspension, quick disconnect sways front and rear, Nitro 4.10s, Detroit TrueTrac, ECGS bushing, Aluminess Rear bumper w/swing outs and flood lights, 285/70/17 on ProComp Steelies, Kenwood NAV, URD Short Shifter, CB, front rally bar with LED flows and fogs, RockSliders, FWC.
    Aluminess has my vote. With camper vision is blocked anyway.
    Dual swing for alot of storage dual 1/2 boxes one open one closed...kept spare tire wedged underneath...lol. if the camper comes out the swings are removable with Aluminess...

FB_IMG_1554519700872.jpg
    20190822_061409.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    ohcaltexscar and 2013XSPX[OP] like this.
  12. Aug 22, 2019 at 6:04 AM
    honda50r

honda50r Not a Mallcrawler

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen Tacoma
    Not Stock
    EDIT: Sorry I was being a dick

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    2013XSPX[OP] likes this.
  13. Aug 22, 2019 at 6:20 AM
    Extra Hard Taco

Extra Hard Taco Survivor of the winter of misery and death.

Member:
    First Name:
    R.J.
    Clown World
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR
    ARB Bumper, SOS sliders, rear bumper, and skid plate. OME Lift. Some other stuff.
  14. Aug 22, 2019 at 9:20 AM
    2013XSPX

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    GA/FL Border
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X
    Yeah I would definitely do a dual. I'm sure it'll be a PITA on our weekend Sam's Club visits.

It's more of a want than a need. I plan on keeping the truck for at least 10 years. I've worked hard to mod it smartly.

I appreciate all the feedback!!

geekhouse23 likes this.
  15. Aug 22, 2019 at 10:21 AM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Sorry this is completely off topic, but what do you have going on with your sway bar up front? or what's that grey piece im seeing?

I have a wilco hitchgate which relocates my tire to the back on a swingout. I have a camper like you and noticed that it's a little more difficult to see out of the back. Personally i'd avoid going with a swing out, it was a pain in the rear to have to open it everytime you want to get into the shell. Just my opinion though, do whatever makes you happy!

2013XSPX[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  16. Aug 22, 2019 at 10:28 AM
    rollin904

rollin904 Feather Slinger

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    I just added one a month or so ago, visibility is definitely reduced (I have a cap as well). I had to relocate my backup camera to the swingarm once I added it, not a huge pain but now if I want to remove the swingarm I have to rerig the camera. Could work around that by mounting it elsewhere, like the license plate, but haven't felt like it yet. I've forgotten it was open several times, luckily haven't driven far or fast with it extended but it worries me because I forgot often. I have the mobtown one, so I can remove it relatively easy by taking the bolt out and storing it in the garage. I may end up doing that so I can haul my kayak easier instead of having to throw it on the cap, but for road trips I think the swingout will be a very welcome addition so I can haul my spare tire and gas can without taking up bed space.

20190816_185109.jpg

17. Aug 22, 2019 at 12:32 PM
    2013XSPX

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    GA/FL Border
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X

I'm still running my sway bar. I daily the truck and the speed limit here on I-95 is 70mph.

I really appreciate you telling me your experience! If I decide to get a swing out I'll for sure get a dual swing to help minimize the hassle.

BassAckwards[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Aug 22, 2019 at 1:17 PM
    Scott B.

Scott B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 ACLB SR5 4x4 Expo
    What model kayak is that?

It looks just my Kilroy DT.

rollin904[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Aug 22, 2019 at 1:17 PM
    2013XSPX

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    GA/FL Border
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X

Your truck looks fantastic!

I worked with explosives for a long time overseas and too much boom boom definitely crushed memory. I'd have to check and recheck constantly!
    That added side protection really looks good man.

20. Aug 22, 2019 at 1:42 PM
    CaliforniaTacoTuesday

CaliforniaTacoTuesday Well-Known Member

Member:

how annoying is that MaxTrax? Seems like the location of that thing gives your truck the aerodynamics of a brick wall.

geekhouse23[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top