1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear diff. breather mod

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bigmooze, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Sep 12, 2009 at 7:11 AM
    bigmooze

bigmooze [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
  2. Sep 12, 2009 at 8:02 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The Union is what threads into your axle tube. So, the only important aspect of either of those part numbers is that the *threads* are correct to screw into your axle tube. You could probably go down to the local auto store or hardware store and find a similar union type fitting with the same threads that'll work.

Don't worry about the two different part numbers. If you read somewhere that it worked for one person, then chances are....it'll work. Both part numbers probably have the same threads but a different design. As long as its the proper size for the hose you plan on using, that's all thats important.

I did that mod on my 96 truck years ago. I haven't done it on my 07.

3. Sep 12, 2009 at 9:23 AM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    Thanks Janster. I'll give 'er a go this afternoon.

4. Sep 13, 2009 at 10:58 AM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    So it's all done. I'm a bit worried about the union fittin screwing into the diff housing though... With the Teflon tape I put on the threads, I found it a bit more difficult to gauge how tight to screw it in, just aired on the side of caution in the end. Hopefully it's tight enough, I certainly can't unscrew it (or tighten it further) by hand, and with the Teflon tape the seal should be good enough. What do you guys think, I know it's difficult to tell without turning the wrench yourselves, and I don't know exactly what my question is, I'm just voicing my concern with tightening it further and feeling it go loose... Then yelling every curse word under the sun and feeling sick.

5. Sep 13, 2009 at 12:35 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    You've done your homework with research, so I would assume the threads on the union are what you needed to screw into the axle tube.

If you screwed the union in there halfway (for instance) and it 'wobbles' - then you've got the wrong size. It shouldn't wobble.

If you screw it in there and you feel a lot of resistance, either means the threads are dirty or you have the wrong threads or too large of a union. Teflon tape will add some resistance, but not all that much.

Hard to explain. If you tightened it by hand, grab a wrench and give it a half turn tighter and see how it feels and go from there. Then - in a couple days, feel free to check it. If its coming loose, then you need to tighten it down more.

Nice work!!

6. Sep 13, 2009 at 12:47 PM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Right on Janster, thanks for the reply. I will check it in a couple of days, and even after my 300 km trip home this evening. I checked the thread pitch against the stock breather and the two threads meshed nicely. I think the Teflon tape is throwing my feeling off when I tightened it down. Well see when I check it. Oh, and I was looking around on here and discovered that my front tow hook was on upside down, so I promptly flipped it.

7. Sep 13, 2009 at 1:04 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup:

Keep wrechin'!!!

It's kinda like.... a wrench a day will keep the garage boys at bay. ;)

8. Sep 13, 2009 at 1:21 PM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Haha that's correct, until I strip the threads and need a new rear diff :( I just took it off and re-installed it for piece of mind, the threads seem ok, but I'll monitor it for a while. It's funny, as an electrical guy electrons don't phase me (i.e. I know how far I can push them :) ), but when it comes to important mechanical things like this I'm scared to death. I feel far better having taken the Teflon tape off and felt the bite of the thread. I guess it's not the right part to be expecting 100 pounds of torque anyway :)

9. Sep 14, 2009 at 3:39 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    thread size is 1/8"-27tpi National Pipe Thread.

10. Sep 14, 2009 at 4:26 AM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    I believe you but what does that dimension (1/8") represent? Just curious, since the outside diameter of the thread is more that 1/8", and the length of the threaded portion of the union fitting is also longer than 1/8".

Products Discussed in

To Top