1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

REAR DIFF FAILURE! - Not impressed.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Isthatahemi, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Apr 19, 2010 at 8:11 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    unless you bought the base model...you prolly got the same rear end as a taco.

2. Apr 19, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    2K8TACO

2K8TACO Not only am I a client Im a member.

Member:
    First Name:
    JASON
    RAMONA CA.
    Vehicle:
    Black,auto,2X4,V6,Long Bed
    Tinted windows 5%, Hell Bent 3" lift kit,K&N Airfilter, Trufilter (oil filter), Synthetic oils.
    What do you mean or should I ask what is the rear diff breather mod? Please explain in detail? I'm new!

3. Apr 19, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Clearly the issue is that you are measuring in kilometers instead of miles.

4. Apr 19, 2010 at 8:53 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    I was offroading and coming up a steep bypass on the trail. Halfway up the truck just bonked and went out. I heard the same bang as yours and clunk with every rotation of the tire. My truck wouldnt move in and forward gear, nor reverse, and it would roll in Park :eek:.

My understanding is that the gears used on the FJ and Taco arent as strong as people think, theyre some cheap Indonesian gears. The dealership gave me a new gear set and carrier assembly. I put stock tires on before I went in and it went okay. While they were working on the truck they found mud in my brakes and all over the undercarriage, in addition to large dents on my skid plates from rocks, and they knew I offroaded it but replaced it anyways. When I got the truck back the dude told me not to offroad it bc warranty doesnt cover that kind of damage.

2 days after I got it it started knocking somewhere along the driveline at takeoff while in reverse or drive. I took it back in and they wouldnt do shit.

Now I got my FJ, and yes I know the platform of the two vehicle is very similar/identical on many levels. What killed my taco was the abuse I put it through, which will b avoided with this new vehicle so it should work out fine.

5. Apr 19, 2010 at 9:04 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Dang, stuff breaks we all know that, but the rearend just doesn't seem to be an issue for these trucks. I have only read a couple of problems on here, more having to deal with the real axle seals other than the diff gears themselves. How many members can you name that have had the diff go?

6. Apr 19, 2010 at 9:07 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    Well I know Sara from All Pro had her gears go out and she had them replaced several times already. HBMurphy also had his go out and he was telling me that over half the people he wheels with have encountered failed gears and have had to replace them.

7. Apr 19, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    Sparky4.0

Sparky4.0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    wow. i have seen alot of stout rearends broken ie d60's FFgm14 even a rockwell but never seen a toy 8 broken personally

8. Apr 19, 2010 at 9:17 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    I think we're on the wrong forum to here about it. I love TW, but you gotta admit the TTORA is much more offroad oriented than we are, and Im sure you'd hear alot more stories over there.

9. Apr 19, 2010 at 9:21 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    This is true.

10. Apr 19, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    Sparky4.0

Sparky4.0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    i come from texas4x4.org. and was tallkin more about any toy rearend or solid front that is trailer out and wheeled hard.. if it breaks it goes back on trailer.. but you are right. alot of the ppl on here dont wheel their rigs hard cause they gotta drive them home and work etc. but still have never seen a broken rear with my own eyes...seen a few fronts toasted.. and i broke my t case.

11. Apr 19, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Rad
    LAX & LOGAN
    I've heard too many stories of shit breaking while off-roading. Manny brings up a good point as he points towards HB & Sarah @ All-Pro. Those 2 wheel real hard and well, shit breaks. Its life nature of off-roading.

I can't afford to replace damaged things on my TACO. I love to just do normal light trails as its what I love. I don't have it in me to showcase my $35K Tacoma over a bed of rocks with high risk of damage. 2wd or 4x4, I'm not interested.

Its a shame everytime I hear of a Taco owner breaking something. Most of the time its from the Owner taking it out to off-road it. Heck, I damaged my Tacoma when I first got it off-roading it. Repainted and repaired. That shits not going to happen again. :(

I'm over that when I had to fork over a repair bill.

12. Apr 19, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Sorry you are having issues Hemi... I hope they will resolve it for you to your satisfaction.

13. Apr 19, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    mountainboy 97439

mountainboy 97439 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Florence, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma 4x4 lifted
    Pro comp 6" lift flowmaster 40 series
    spider gears in my rear diff sheared off my 2010 4x4 trd sport with stock tires and the dealership said the manufacturer will use an impact gun instead of a torque wrench which causes the gears to be way too tight breaking off the teeth, i had less then 5,000 miles on my truck when this happened but they threw in a new rear end with no problem

14. Apr 19, 2010 at 10:12 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    I can totally believe the you trash the gears going up a mountain hard, dumping the clutch under load, etc. But just being pulled out with the stock bfgs in slick mud spinning in reverse? Did it catch on something while being pulled out and then you heard a bang? Give us something...

15. Apr 19, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4

Are you a Toyota Rep on here trying to make us get FJ cruisers? Tell us the truth since are you stirring the pot saying something on your tacoma broke.

16. Apr 19, 2010 at 3:28 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    First off, to the losers who suggest I don`t have a Yoda, get a life. (I posted the pre delivery inspection sheet in another thread)
    Anyhow, I have a theory. My truck has never shifted into 4 wheel drive properly since new, and every time I shut off the truck, it would go from 4L back into 4H. (beeping with the knob left in the 4L position) So every time I would start er up, I had to put it in neutral, turn the dial to 4H, and back to 4L. I was mildly stuck at the time, so I was being pulled backwards. I think what may have happened, was the truck taking itself out of 4L when I shut it off, the rear diff lock was automatically dis-engaging. So when I put the truck in gear and gave it some throttle, I think it may have tried to engage. Thing is, I never took the truck out of 4L, and I never disengaged the locking diff, so I wasn`t even thinking about that. This whole situtation may be a result of the original issue with the 4wd system not shifting correctly.
    After the banging started, the guy that pulled me out, towed me to some solid ground, and I was able to baby it to the highway....then roadside assistance. The strangest part was when it broke, hardly any load, soft mud.
    The dealer is being highly un-cooperative at this point, we`ll see what happens.
    I understand some people want to think I was abusing the truck, or I am making this up. As I said before, this is my 6th truck, always off roaded, never even popped a tire..... It was soft mud, and something failed mechanically, that`s the truth. It probably is related to the diff lock.

17. Apr 19, 2010 at 4:24 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Do you have problems switching from 2H to 4H ? or from 4H to 4L?
    what happens if you leave truck off while in 4H, will it stay in 4H when you restart the engine ?

18. Apr 19, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    I mostly had issues with it not wanting to go from 2H to 4H. It would disengage very slowly as well. I cannot recall a situation where it went from 4H to 2H while shut off, but the thing was so un-cooperative all winter, that I may not remember.

19. Apr 19, 2010 at 4:53 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Yea I am wondering if it is possible that your shift fork is misaligned or even bent. You said Toyota replaced your shift actuator, did they replace one in Transfer case or did they replaced ADD actuator ( I know I did read but I dont remember) :(
    BTW. You are probably right about rear diff failing due to 4wd state being in the middle.
    EDIT: Also do you remember if you had 4L turning off on its own before the replacement?

20. Apr 19, 2010 at 5:20 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Dont forget

...Vibration is inheritant to vehicle.

Drove new vehicle, vibration appears to be normal as our 10 did the same.

vehicle operating "with in" manufacturer spec.

Products Discussed in

To Top