1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

REAR DIFF FAILURE! - Not impressed.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Isthatahemi, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Apr 20, 2010 at 5:13 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    So I got a call today that they had ordered a new "pumpkin section", lol. I got to look at the 3rd member, and the ring was missing 6 teeth, and a few others were damaged. The pinion was slightly chewed as well. Nothing else was damaged. The mechanic was saying he had never seen this, and couldn't imagine what I did to cause this. The general manager from the dealer called me and apologized for the service manager being an ass, and said they shouldn't have even asked what I was doing when it broke, given the fact that it is a truck. He also said Toyota would cover a rental for a week, while they wait for parts. I asked the mechanic to fix the T-case issues, we'll see what happens.
    So after speaking with the general manager, I'm being treated like a customer. I'm not fed up with this truck, but hopefully it will come back working properly, and things will quiet down for awhile.

2. Apr 20, 2010 at 5:16 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Next step is to ask him about transfer case :thumbsup:

3. Apr 20, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    Are the new gears STRONGER or are they just resized for larger tires? $1400 isn't cheap... then again I've spent much more on much less in my life. Kind of like the $12K driveway I need to have put down in my 3.5 year old "brand new" home. :rolleyes:

4. Apr 24, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    So I got my truck back yesterday with the new 3rd member installed,:) Toyota covered it. The mechanic adjusted something in my brake system without me asking, which is good, because they were so grabby from new, it was impossible to stop smoothly, I thought it was a characteristic of the truck, but apparently not. I also got the trans TSB, which is nice. The truck no longer randomly jumps down to 1st gear, with the resulting RPM flare. There is a very slight vibration on braking, and they scratched my passenger side fender. Oh yeah, and I brought the truck in freshly washed, and they returned it with a weeks worth of dust on it, nice. But the beast is fixed, and hopefully no more issues. They have also ordered a new cd player for me, but I doubt I will ever go back to that dealer.....
    Here's some pics of the truck that some say I don't own:D.
    Notice the chrome is dull in the middle, weird.

IMG_4072.jpg

5. Apr 24, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Glad you got your diff fixed! :taco: That TSB for the trans flash made a nice difference in my truck too.

6. Apr 24, 2010 at 7:38 PM
    dhurley

dhurley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    Glad to hear they fixed your truck. I would've asked the tech if the service manager was still employed there!:D

7. Apr 24, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Glad they hooked you up with all the repairs and what not. Hopefully that's the end of your problems!!

8. Apr 24, 2010 at 10:57 PM
    btkicker

btkicker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Reg Cab Manual
    Simple Green will get that out.

9. Apr 24, 2010 at 11:08 PM
    JasonJump

JasonJump Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Yukon Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 D Cab Debadged
    Billy 5100's set at 2.5, iPhone innerface, TRD Sport wheels powdercoated Anthracite grey wrapped in 265/70/17 Duratracs, Custom Sliders
    Sorry for being a tard... but what does "TSB" stand for... :confused:

10. Apr 24, 2010 at 11:35 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    TSB = Technical Service Bulletin.

The TSB's are like internal corporate memos. They are intended to be a communique between the Toyota Factory and it's dealer network. They are often in the form of a technical prescriptive memo which define a very specific course of action for a very specific cause. They are expected to be read by the service techs and to some degree the service advisers. Toyota's hope and expectation is that they streamline solutions for well known procedures or problems.

Because TSBs are proprietary and Toyota owns them it is well within their discretion to keep them private. However, you may find the TSB's posted in the forum for the benefit of all. Search around and you'll find them.

11. Apr 24, 2010 at 11:37 PM
    JasonJump

JasonJump Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Yukon Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 D Cab Debadged
    Billy 5100's set at 2.5, iPhone innerface, TRD Sport wheels powdercoated Anthracite grey wrapped in 265/70/17 Duratracs, Custom Sliders
    Thanks Crom! you always have my back, I'm going to try and replicate that grinding noise in 4 wheel drive tomorrow and get back to you on my other post :)

12. Apr 25, 2010 at 8:07 AM
    ianc

ianc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ian
    mass
    Vehicle:
    tacoma sr5 trd
    It is the ring in the ring and pinion set up. If you drain the diff you will find a tooth or two.

13. Apr 25, 2010 at 10:00 AM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    I doubt it, it that's a brand new bumper, it's lousy chrome.

14. Apr 25, 2010 at 7:04 PM
    2.7taco

2.7taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tan Tacoma Base 5 LUG: Beaten , abused and still running strong.
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    Sounds like some teeth are gone. The best thing to do is replace the rear-end with something better or Cryogenicly treat the new parts. I went to the dealer Thursday and saw more broken tacomas and camrys than any other vehicle. Something is changing with toyota and I don't like it.

15. Apr 25, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    While waxing the truck with the wife, we agreed that the diff going is just one too many issues for us, and we will be giving the truck back to Toyota at the lease end. It bothers me that my failure, while flukey, is by no means unheard of. Hopefully Toyota's next gen will be tougher...

16. Apr 25, 2010 at 7:44 PM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    I have no problems with my 05. It's been completely submerged up to the hood in water, covered in mud, hill climbing, haven't beat on it to hard but I haven't had one problem except my alignment getting knocked outta wack. I think you have a lemon unfortunately.

17. Apr 25, 2010 at 8:29 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    I'd agree, except every problem I've had, others have had.

18. Apr 25, 2010 at 11:31 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    So far my 2010 has 6,400 miles on it (since Dec. 2009)... and not one problem. I am crossing my fingers, hoping it stays that way... Like my 2001. My 2005 had a few issues.

Hemi, how many miles on yours... about 12,000? Hmmm... well, let's see if my Baja built Tacoma holds up!

19. May 8, 2010 at 9:17 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    Apparently this is not over, my rear end is making a a high pitched whining / rubbing sound. And the truck shakes, and has a vibration it didn't have before the stealership put in the new 3rd member. And my blower fan is all chirpy on low. Back to the dealer, well not really, to a different dealer this time.
    Ask me again why I lease before I buy......

20. May 9, 2010 at 5:57 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Bummer. :(

Products Discussed in