1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Diff Lock

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by skynickslay, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Feb 28, 2011 at 8:16 PM
    skynickslay

skynickslay [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 prerunner sr5 trd
    With the trd locker on a 2wd prerunner tacoma is it true that you need to stay at lower speeds? Is it bad for it to go faster with it locked. I have researched it and found mixed info. Some say it is really bad but some say it does not matter. My question is more about turning. I heard its bad to turn with it Locked but especially on pavement. I have also heard you can break an axle turning with it locked on pavement but contradicting I have heard it is good for doing donuts. So is it bad to turn with it locked on concrete? I am not planning on doing donuts all the time or anything but would like to know. Also what about donuts on dirt with it Locked?

2. Feb 28, 2011 at 8:19 PM
    skynickslay

skynickslay [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 prerunner sr5 trd
    alright i just asked because on other threads the is contradicting info.

3. Mar 1, 2011 at 7:10 AM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    I have a 4wd but I often engage the locker without going in 4wd. I have gone pretty quick with it locked and never had any issues. Like the others said, do not engage it on pavement because one wheel needs to be able to spin otherwise you will put intense amounts of pressure on the axle/diff and probably break it sooner or later.

And yes, a locker is sweet for donuts, especially in snow

Products Discussed in

To Top