1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear differential recall.

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by fonzy, May 1, 2017.

1. May 15, 2017 at 11:40 AM
    swimmer

swimmer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDORAC4WD
    Snowflake capital of the internet.

2. May 16, 2017 at 5:35 PM
    Trillizo2

Trillizo2 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rolando
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Tacoma DC SR5
    stock
    Maybe he should be pardoned and reinstated back in TW :anonymous:

3. May 16, 2017 at 8:11 PM
    docsg

docsg Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2020 White TRD OR SBDC
    Raptor 4" oval rails, OEM door sill protectors, totally debadged, OEM mud guards, OEM bed mat, OEM S/S tail pipe extension, BDT tailgate letters, Weather Tech sun screen.
    Read about the differential recall on TW. Stopped by the dealer on the way to the beach that has serviced my Tacoma so far. The tech (who just won a Top Tech in the Nation award) told me to call when I was going to come back and he would check out the bolts (there were no visible leaks). It only took him a few minutes but he said most of the bolts were not correctly torqued. When I stopped to set up the differential check I also told him I was concerned about the CPS since mine was mfg. 11/15 TX and that seemed to be the period the defective units were being installed. When I was leaving the tech "winked at me" and said you have no worries about the CPS. You can conclude from that what you want...but I got the message "loud and clear."

4. May 16, 2017 at 8:27 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    Wow, if they did a preemptive CPS Swap then you have a good Dealer for sure!

5. May 16, 2017 at 10:06 PM
    George1441

George1441 Much happier

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Vehicle:
    2016 Chevrolet Colorado Diesel
    I brought mine in today for the leaky rear diff and all they did was re-torque the fricken bolts and sent me on my way. When I first got there they said if it was leaking they could not release the truck to me. They called Toyota and was only authorized to tighten the bolts because the recall isnt officially out yet blah blah blah.

6. May 16, 2017 at 10:32 PM
    Oldman808

Oldman808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Planet Earth
    Vehicle:
    2023 Taco TRD Sport
    Nice one! That is what I'm going to have my service guy do on July 5th for my 10K service
    Torque correction because I have no weeping
    and ain't worried because it's a recall so if it weeps later then it's on them !
    New CPS because I have a 10/15 build !

The official notice isn't due until mid June hence my decision to wait so I'm less of a guinea pig .

:mudding:

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    shakerhood likes this.
  7. May 17, 2017 at 1:36 PM
    docsg

docsg Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2020 White TRD OR SBDC
    Raptor 4" oval rails, OEM door sill protectors, totally debadged, OEM mud guards, OEM bed mat, OEM S/S tail pipe extension, BDT tailgate letters, Weather Tech sun screen.
    Yes, the dealership who has serviced my truck from the beginning (not the one from which it was bought) has been GREAT! First, I must thank the members of TW for keeping us "non-technical" owners updated:thumbsup:. I first learned about the protruding rear window seals (I only had one) on TW. Took it to a large dealership in Montgomery, AL and the female service writer blew me off with the "that's normal":sorry:. Then, on a whim I stopped by a smaller dealership between my home and the beach just to have them check it out. With no hesitation the tech who does all their Tacoma repairs (not basic service) said he would order one and replace mine. Then came the frame plug issue--installed them with no questions asked. Next, a squeaking front passenger side bushing--replaced it with no hassle. Same for the transmission check and computer re-flash--no hassles but I did have to leave the truck overnight (all of the other "fixes" were done in 30 minutes or less). He said their dealership was aware of the differential recall and said the re-torquing to specs should be fine if no leaks were found and after 17K he said it would have leaked if there was an issue. And then the CPS deal...well I got lucky. The tech is an unbelievably sharp, fairly young guy. The dealership doesn't question anything he does and he is VERY customer oriented. He has multiple awards from Toyota (even their highest) and other dealerships call him if they are stumped on a Tacoma issue. For example, he told me that some dealerships were simply changing out the CPS if it failed and disabled a driver. He said when that happens the catalytic converters should also be changed as they are usually damaged when the CPS fails. I am DAMN lucky I stumbled upon him and that dealership--they are great:yes:. When I buy another Toyota it will be from them even if I don't get the very best deal--although they have many Tacomas on their lot. BTW--the tech regularly reads posts on TW and if he reads this one--well THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO!!

8. May 17, 2017 at 2:41 PM
    zackst

zackst Well-Known Member

Member:

That's great you have them! If this awesome tech could post his opinion or what he knows about ETA for the recall, (anonymously if he wants), that would be awesome sauce!

9. May 17, 2017 at 4:46 PM
    Tacomabud17

Tacomabud17 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    FTFY.

South Alabama ehh? Mobile, AL. Here

10. May 17, 2017 at 9:19 PM
    The Real Moondog

The Real Moondog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moondog
    Somewhere in the SE USA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Off-Road (Sold :()
    I'm well aware of the dealer you speak of. They are known for terrible service and everything is normal to them. I live around Montgomery too and will be taking mine to B'ham for service.

11. May 17, 2017 at 10:24 PM
    docsg

docsg Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2020 White TRD OR SBDC
    FYI....head south to Enterprise, AL. Lot closer to Montgomery than B'Ham. What about the Toyota dealer north on I-65 in Clanton? Only about 60 miles from Montgomery.

12. May 18, 2017 at 8:12 AM
    The Real Moondog

Member:
    First Name:
    Moondog
    Somewhere in the SE USA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I didn't have the best experience with them with my second gen so I may give that dealer in Enterprise a try. Thanks for the info!

13. Jun 17, 2017 at 8:40 AM
    paullydoughnuts

paullydoughnuts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD SPORT TACOMA
    Nothing ... yet.
    Just dropped off my truck for service, they told me about the recall. Said they would keep my car for a year?! If they found something. So my question is what do you think the chances of me telling them keep the truck and give me another truck? And why does it take a year?? Thanks fellow TW peeps.

14. Jun 17, 2017 at 8:59 AM
    MG63

MG63 Active Member

Member:
    Update: Got a call yesterday from the dealer who has had my truck since May 2nd for the Differential leak. (yes I'm on the recall list) He said they finally got word from corporate for the fix and he was ordering parts which should be in next week. New gasket and bolts will be installed. Hoping to have it back week after next fingers crossed. I did have to go up there Thurs. to resign for my rental at which time I asked for my keys so I could go stat my truck. Long story short we went to look for my truck and it was no longer in the spot it was when I took it up there. The service guy had no idea where it was. I was pissed!! Turns out they had mover it down the street to a parking garage where several trucks and cars are being stored for long term parking. Ugh!

15. Jun 17, 2017 at 9:44 AM
    The Real Moondog

Member:
    First Name:
    Moondog
    Somewhere in the SE USA
    Vehicle:
    Um, no one would keep my truck a year unless they buy it from me.

16. Jun 21, 2017 at 6:03 PM
    Fordless

Fordless Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra DC SR5+
    Ok, you gotta tell me who this dealer is. I have found that Mckinnon in Clanton and Bondy's in Enterprise both have good service depts. Reinhardt sux, Toyota of Dothan Sux, and Auburn Toyota kinda sux.

17. Jun 21, 2017 at 7:56 PM
    The Real Moondog

Member:
    First Name:
    Moondog
    Somewhere in the SE USA
    Vehicle:
    X2 on the Reinhardt sucking. Terrible.

18. Jun 21, 2017 at 10:40 PM
    docsg

docsg Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2020 White TRD OR SBDC
    Reply to Post #598. The dealer you asked about is Bondy's Toyota in Enterprise, AL. They have a SUPER tech whose name is John Bottoms and he is an expert on the Tacoma (and that is an understatement). AAMOF I had him check my differential on a recent visit after reading about the issue on TW. There were no signs of seepage but he said the bolts needed to be torqued to spec (which he did) and I was on my way in 30 minutes. Right after I got my Tacoma (came from a dealer in GA) I took it to Reinhardt in Montgomery (rear window seal issue). You are right....they suck...told me "that's normal"! Not sure about McKinnon as they are about 100 miles north of me but one of my former students (years ago) was the son of the owner and I have been meaning to stop there on one of my trips to B'ham since they are right of I-65.

Side note: I know there are some on this forum who hate the 3 gen Tacoma and some I assume with good cause. This is my forth Toyota truck (03' Tundra, 05' Tundra, 12' Tundra, 16' Tacoma). I have had more "minor" issues with the Tacoma than any of the other Tundras (all came to light on TW) but all have been resolved quickly and to my complete satisfaction (Bondy's Toyota). I just got home after driving 300 miles to and from Panama City Beach in a driving tropical rain storm and felt as safe and secure in the Tacoma as any of the previous Tundra's. I was a little surprised at the mpg (24.7) but then again I couldn't go over 50 mph at times and rarely over 60. The 12' Tundra TRD SR5 was light in the back (a little less stable in rain storms IMO) and the 03' and 05' Tundras seemed to be about the same size as my current Tacoma. I have just got finished reading the thread about water leaks and fortunately my Tacoma was still dry inside after many miles in the sheeting rain. Bottom line...I couldn't be happier with my truck after 1 1/2 years and 18K. But, I'm an old man and don't off-road and only tow a 5 X 10 Wells Cargo "CycleWagon" on occasion. Also, I have a beautiful 2005 Harley FXDLI (LowRider) for sale...fully chromed out with over $10K of accessories...cam, race tuner, TBags, etc. Always garaged, only caught in the rain twice (mountains of NC) and rarely ridden any more. Started out to Bike Week in PCB recently...came across a bike down w/rider killed. Turned around and came back home and said to my wife.."that phase of my life is done!"

Damn! Long response to a straight forward question...sorry!

19. Jun 22, 2017 at 12:18 PM
    viking15

viking15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe

Well I have had mine for less than a year and my mpg is getting better and better. I returned from NC yesterday and I was getting 24.9 . My truck still has a stock suspension

20. Jun 22, 2017 at 1:04 PM
    chrisrocks300

chrisrocks300 War Eagle

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Brandon, MS
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 Tacoma DCSB Trd Off-road Superwhite
    Total Chaos UCA's, Raceline Raptor wheels (16x8) 4.5 BS, 285/75/16 Cooper S/T Maxx tires, Icon Stage 2 Lift Kit, Sos sliders w/ fill plates, exhaust reroute, mobtown offroad skid plates (ifs, transmission, transfer case), and diff breather mod
    The suspension isn't what messes up people's mpg, it's their tire size and weight and how heavy their foot is. More rotational mass = less mpg

TheCookieMonster likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top