1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear differential recall.

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by fonzy, May 1, 2017.

1. Jun 22, 2017 at 1:40 PM
    viking15

viking15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Yea that makes a lot of sense.

chrisrocks300[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jun 22, 2017 at 6:45 PM
    Fordless

Fordless Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra DC SR5+
    A little story about Toyota of Dothan(about 6 weeks ago): I was just about to go outta bumper to bumper on my 2015 Tundra 35,910 miles. I took it to Toyota of Dothan on a Saturday. I told the guy the problems I wanted to have fixed. He said he didn't have a Tech to "verify" the problems. Mind you these were piddly things like trim. I told him he could verify with his eyeballs. He spent 30 or so minutes arguing with me and told me I should've come earlier. I told him if I waited til Monday, I'd be outta of warranty, so basically he was denying the remainder of my warranty. I went outside, called Enterprise, told them my situation, guy said yeah I'll get you in. Sure enough, I drove up there had to wait a little but they looked at the truck and ordered the parts. Truck was fixed two days later and after I passed 36K. I'll NEVER set foot in Toyota of Dothan again. I don't care if they have the best price on a truck for 500 miles. I judge a dealer by their service dept, if I can't trust the service dept to do the work I expect then I can't buy a truck there period.
    Matter of fact, I needed oil filters a week or so ago. I drove to Enterprise to buy them even though ToD is probably half the distance.

damnfingers likes this.
  3. Jun 23, 2017 at 7:12 AM
    docsg

docsg Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2020 White TRD OR SBDC
    Raptor 4" oval rails, OEM door sill protectors, totally debadged, OEM mud guards, OEM bed mat, OEM S/S tail pipe extension, BDT tailgate letters, Weather Tech sun screen.
    See--I wasn't lying about their service dept! I didn't get my truck from them but that seem to make do difference as to how I was treated. It seems the bigger city dealers around here (Dothan, Montgomery, etc.) don't GAS and the smaller town dealers like Enterprise, AL do the best they can to please the customer service-wise. I heard McKinnon (Clanton, AL) also has a good service dept.

4. Jun 30, 2017 at 11:46 AM
    djadonis206

djadonis206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Tacoma SR5
    This is me. One month without my truck because the parts are on back order. F'n A - right in the middle of summer (camping, mountains, my manhood) WTF!

Curious. While they keep my truck, am I still on the hook for the monthly payments? Or am I now just paying for a really expensive loaner car? A fucking Honda CRV.

grrrr

5. Jun 30, 2017 at 1:27 PM
    EvilBetty

EvilBetty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    Add me to the list. Sitting at the dealer now, but have a puddle on my garage floor so I know it needs service for this recall.

When I made the appointment they didn't say anything about a parts backorder. Of course once I get here and hand them the fob, they tell me here is no ETA on the parts and if I continue to drive my truck any damage caused outside of the items listed on the recall will be on me. Have two camping trips planned in July... this might really suck.

6. Jun 30, 2017 at 2:13 PM
    Squidward

Squidward Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 OR DCSB Tech/Prem/JBL awesomeness
    KO2 Bros, SCS Ray10s, Tint, LEDs
    My 16 had the dif replaced and eventually lemon law, but this was before the TSB, hoping you guys get a solution for yours and future owner's/member's benefit.

shakerhood likes this.
  7. Jun 30, 2017 at 2:35 PM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    "Yours is one of the worst we've seen".

Less than two quarts left. It's getting a bit more than a replacement gasket apparently.

8. Jun 30, 2017 at 3:07 PM
    TWTaco

TWTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    It's Official, Just got my recall letter from Toyota. I have no leaks. But i guess i better have them do the re torque.

Squidward likes this.
  9. Jul 15, 2017 at 10:40 AM
    Medic117

Medic117 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR5 LB 4x4

My 2016 Tacoma AC blower broke, and I asked them to check on the recall while it was being fixed. They held my truck due to the rear differential leak, and gave me a Sienna from their collision center stating they do not have trucks for rent. After finding out that it could be months waiting for parts, I called Toyota. The customer service went back and forth with the dealer and said there was nothing they can do, because all rental companies are out of trucks. They finally agreed to pay $60/day for a rental reimbursement for a truck. The best I found was $66. I have been a loyal Toyota owner for many years, but this one may break that spell. If they don't have an update by next week, I plan to go take my truck from the lot. I suggested if they were going to hold it that they needed to buy it. I got an email from Toyota's highest official stating that their response was final. I am now wishing I had bought the Honda Ridgeline.

Screenshot_20170715-134325.jpg

10. Jul 15, 2017 at 10:47 AM
    TWTaco

TWTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Ridgeline is not a Truck!

11. Jul 15, 2017 at 10:48 AM
    Squidward

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Unibody crossover/minivan/thing.

12. Jul 15, 2017 at 10:51 AM
    Medic117

Medic117 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR5 LB 4x4
    For this class and what I do, it would be sufficient. It is a truck...just a different kind of truck, designed for a more multipurpose use. It has a better payload capacity than the Tacoma, but a lower towing capacity. But to your point, I chose the Tacoma for the reason you state...now I just think I would have been better to go with the Honda.

13. Jul 15, 2017 at 10:57 AM
    Squidward

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I guess the definition of a truck is a vehicle with an open bed, but most here would argue if you can't take it off road, its a unibody construction its probably not a truck, but if it serves your needs than go for it man. I saw a black edition yesterday and it looked nice.

14. Jul 15, 2017 at 11:02 AM
    Medic117

Medic117 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR5 LB 4x4
    I do think it is interesting that people are so proud of their rigid frame Ford and Chevy trucks, but then oppose the Ridgeline for it's unibody. I prefer the flex of the Tacoma, but honestly, if I am buying a $35,000 truck, I'm not taking it off road in the near future. I'll get an older play vehicle for that stuff. This is more of a daily driver, lumber hauler for household projects, and occasional snow/mud in bad weather. I've had a 1979 Scout II and a 1987 4Runner for playing.

15. Jul 15, 2017 at 11:22 AM
    The Real Moondog

The Real Moondog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moondog
    Somewhere in the SE USA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Off-Road (Sold :()
    Good luck with the Honda. The article below may interest you. Honda is plagued with quality issues so you could be going from the frying pan to the fire. They also just released another massive recall. Their SUVs and Ridgelines are made in Alabama and these are not the Hondas of old. Car and Driver just ranked the Pilot, of which the Ridgeline is based, dead last in a midsize SUV shootout. My rear diff howls too and I'm waiting until Toyota gets a fix before I go near a lot. I will mention it at my 5K service but mine is not on the recall list and does not leak. I'm hoping Toyota gets this fixed and ma disappointed as well but it seems everyone has their fair share of problems.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/24/...e-president-chief-executive-takanobu-ito.html

16. Aug 4, 2017 at 4:14 PM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    Back in the dealership today. Had received a phone call asking me to renew the rental agreement for the loaner, was getting a 5000 mile maintenance light, and then walked out of work last night to find a flat tire on this RAV4. So... figured probably time to come by.

No ETA still for parts. They said a "few" of the trucks needing gaskets that were brought in early-mid May have received parts. But Toyota isn't telling them anything they can pass to customers.

I miss my truck. Everything on this thing feels cheap. I've had worse rental cars, but I'm not a fan of the RAV4. I've never owned an SUV, so I can't compare it to any others.

The thing is squirrely on the road compared to my truck. Likes to wander. Feels like it's floating through turns, don't like it.

It has the non-NAV enTune, so going with out in-dash NAV has been a PITA for the last month (2 vacation trips). Especially since I left the suction-cup mount for my phone in the truck.

What I don't understand, is why the stereo in this thing sounds so much better (well louder and clearer) than that in my Tacoma. I can actually hear and understand lyrics on Pandora with the windows down on the highway! To me this is really the only plus of this vehicle compared to my Tacoma. With the mild days we've had this July I've really enjoyed blasting home with the windows down / music up.

It has most of the electronic package features. I've been playing with them and I've not found one I like. Adaptive cruise is worthless, and to bypass it requires holding down the cruise button, which is just inconvenient and annoying. The lane assist again, just annoying and unhelpful. The auto-bright headlight thing is kinda cool, but it explains why I've thought other drivers were flashing their brights at me previously. It will sometimes blip after cresting a hill, and doesn't do well at dusk. Other than that it's pretty accurate most of the time. But it's the rest of the time that just makes you leave it off.

I love gadgets and technology, but only if it works. I want my damn truck back, then I'm buying the OEM-Auto amp and speakers. :cool:

17. Aug 4, 2017 at 5:17 PM
    cliffyk

cliffyk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Saint Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 TRD Sport 145k miles
    This "OMG the rear-axle is weeping a bit" thing is very rapidly becoming a great big cluster-fuck that Toyota doesn't seem to be able to handle--and to further the turmoil the '05 to '10 frame replacement is just beginning. Toyota has been making this very same rear axle since 2005 and all of a sudden in 2016 they forgot how to do it right?

My wife and I are pretty much Toyota people having owned eight over the last 30 years (three purchased new); and while it is unlikely at our age and essentially fixed income we will ever buy another new vehicle; this and that it happened, and Toyota's unapologetic confiscation of owner's vehicles, has pretty much sealed the case that if we do ever but new again it will not be a Toyota--though I suspect the other makers are no better, which is the sad part...

18. Aug 19, 2017 at 2:50 PM
    Ciavola

Ciavola Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    I have had my 2017 Tacoma for 10 Months, The last 4 months the dealer has had it because of the rear diff recall. with no eta for parts. I have already had to take it in because the blower motor wheel shattered.
    Corporate is of no help. all they can say is sorry. It does seem strange, They obviously have the parts as the continue building new trucks with them. are they still using the parts that caused the issue in the first place?
    I bought Toyota because of their reliability. not so sure anymore. Cant say I would recommend anyone on a new Tacoma.

19. Sep 2, 2017 at 6:57 PM
    Medic117

Medic117 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR5 LB 4x4
    Finally got mine back a week ago. I sent a certified letter about Virginia's Lemon Law. They acknowledged they received the letter, then called me Monday to let me know they had turned the case over to legal. Friday they called me to tell me the parts were in and my truck was ready for pickup. A week later, I get an offer to buy back the truck since it was in the shop for more than 30 days. The problem is once they remove the mileage deduction allowed by law, I basically get trade-in value. I negotiated a really good deal on the purchase, and these things really don't depreciate much, so I really get screwed either way. I am still waiting on reimbursement for the rental.

20. Nov 29, 2017 at 10:59 PM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    I finally got mine back 2nd or 3rd week in June.

Products Discussed in

To Top