1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear differntial fluid change on 2008 Tacoma 4X4 off road, plus 60k questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by grunt66, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Jun 15, 2015 at 8:29 AM
    grunt66

grunt66 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DBL cab 4X4 off road
    I am seeking confirmation on the need to add limited slip additive to the rear differential. I am closing in on 60k and I plan on doing the 60k service myself since the Toyota dealership wants $549 to do the service and that does not include drain and refill of the transmission, transfer case, and front differential.

Since I have a 2008 Tacoma 4x4 off road with the locking rear differential and I looked at the rear differential and do not see LSD on tag or anywhere on the rear differential I was under the impression no LSD additive is required. However on 60k service quote from dealership they have the LSD additive added to quote. So does my Tacoma require LSD additive and if so what brand should I use? The Toyota part number (TOSL2411) can not be found when I tried to Google it on the internet. Toyota also states a quantity of 2 is required.

I am going to use Royal Purple 75W-90 gear oil and replace the oil in both differentials and the transfer case. The dealership also stated the transmission does not need to be serviced until 100k miles. Reading on the forum I have read several posts stating Toyota recommends changing the fluids at 60k. What are thoughts of draining and replacing the transmission fluid at 60K? I initially purchased 4 quarts of Toyota ATF WS transmission fluid but I am rethinking doing a full drain and flush which will require more transmission fluid.

2. Jun 15, 2015 at 8:44 AM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    Yes you need lsd additive i would think it being a 4x4. Some synthetic stuff is used alone but for that extra pillow i put in the separate additive in anyway.
    You do not have a manual for the truck?

3. Jun 15, 2015 at 8:48 AM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    No. Its a locking differential. .... No LSD additive needed.

Regular 80w90 is fine.

4. Jun 15, 2015 at 8:50 AM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    I have a locker and in my manual i need it.
    Thats why i asked if he has manual.

5. Jun 15, 2015 at 8:51 AM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    But idk because of year difference
    :notsure::boink:

6. Jun 15, 2015 at 8:59 AM
    1MK

1MK Desert Explorer

Member:
    Southern California
    Any name brand 75-90w will be fine. The rear locker does NOT require the additive, nor does the front diff or transfer case.

As far as transmission fluid goes, I'd change it. 100k is a lot to ask out of any fluid.

7. Jun 15, 2015 at 8:59 AM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Alrighty then.
    If only i could photo shop some ace ventura here. Lol
    Im at work.

8. Jun 15, 2015 at 9:00 AM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Nice avatar pic. Looks cozy

9. Jun 15, 2015 at 9:58 AM
    Shelf Life

Shelf Life Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '06 ACC CAB 4x4 TRD OFF ROAD
    I use 80-90 Valvoline limited slip. It says on the container it can be used in conventional or limited slip applications. I haven't had any problems with it.

10. Jun 15, 2015 at 10:17 AM
    grunt66

grunt66 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DBL cab 4X4 off road
    I appreciate everyone's input.

11. Jun 15, 2015 at 10:28 AM
    Gasturbine

Gasturbine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Regular Cab 2.7l 5-speed 4WD
    32" BFG KO tires on MT rims, Front lifted 2", N-Fab 12,000lb front pull point w/10,000lb red clevis, mud flap delete, tail pipe delete, 20" LED light bar, 2 Hella 500s, N-Fab light bar mount, tinted windows.
    I didnt think our Tacomas had a mechanical LSD. I thought TRAC "mimics" an LSD, via individual wheel braking?

12. Jun 15, 2015 at 10:39 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    I believe the cut off for mechanical versus brake assisted LSD was 2009. From all I have read the 2008 had a mechanical LSD and needs the additive. That being said just buy the oil with the additive. As far as the tranny the dealer is going by the service intervals in the manual for 2008 and at least through 2009 models. Sometime between 2009 and 2013 Toyota changed the interval to 60k. Also, tell the dealer to pound sand for $549 for 60k service without tranny flush. Even then $549 is too much.

Products Discussed in

To Top